Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tips for Techs

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Tips for Techs

In an effort to help others and get my knowledge expanded, I thought to start this. It occured to me as I watched a tech struggling to put on a corona wire. It kept popping off leaving him to crawel around looking for the spring. On his fifth try, I walked over and laid a paper towel over the corona channel and when it popped off again, it stayed in the channel. I know every tech with years on him or her, has tons of stuff that could be shared, like using toner to power drum blades, or how car wax will help fix old glass on analog machines. I think if we think hard we can all remember some good ones.

1. Cover coronas when putting new wire in.
    2. Wax old glass on analogs to help with stop position.
    3. Do not vacuum out Konica DV boxes
    4. Carry spare "e" clips in wallet. [ someone posted this last week]
    5. Before unplugging all the wires on a board, look to make sure there if there are unused connectors, it can save you some confusion when putting it back together.

In other words the kind of things you find yourself schooling new hires on.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Wild Bill's Avatar
    If you loose your spring hook, get a large paper clip and take your needle nose pliers and create a loop at the end. Works great! I had a swing plate to replace on a HP 4250 and I used it to remove the spring on the little plastic toner cartridge guide. That big spring came right off!
    Izzy

I started this thinking I would get a lot of info but nobody wants to play
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Tips for Techs

1.Always bring original paper A4, A3 (Letter, Lodger) with you, which can compare with customers paper.

Many of my customers cut paper. And it's not always perfect size...
    When you get too many strange jams go to 1.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Tips for Techs

I've been thinking, but most of my experience is situation specific. General suggestions don't work in all situations.

I think its good to be flexible when you're out on calls. If you always do this, or always do that, there's no room to make that intuitive leap, right to a simple solution.

General suggestions?
    1) Wait. Try not to figure out the call in advance, before you get there. It can put you in the wrong train of thought, making you blind to a simple answer.
    2) Listen to the enduser, and ask lots of questions. They have many more clues than you do, and often take some prompting to reveal them. I understand that much of what they say are false conclusions or speculation. It's your job to sort that out.
    3) Observe before you start doing things to the machine. That pile of toner in the front door may have a lot to do with what you're there to fix. If you just vacuum it up and move on you just made your problem more difficult to solve. Don't ignore that loud grinding noise.
    4) Fix. Diagnosing the problem isn't enough. Can you make the machine work better in anticipation of part arrival?
    5) Test. Confirm that you you resolved the customers problem, and any problem you discovered too. You may have to back up a few steps to again listen and observe some more.
    6) Document your solution. Don't count on remembering the solution 5 years later. After many years in the business you'll forget much more than you can remember. Excel never forgets, recalls all the details, and can be searched by keyword. My memory doesn't work that way. It needs some prompting.

And don't hesitate to treat each situation differently. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts bilyahn's Avatar
    Blackcat how do you have your Excel program setup? I would love to have a template or an idea of how to setup a database like this for our company. I can barely remember some of the fixes I did last week much less 5 years ago, especially if they were something off the wall. Or I will remember the problem but not the fix!!!

Thanks for the suggestions on service calls. I believe the biggest tip is to take your time! We all have schedules and time limits but sometimes you need to slow down and follow the steps like blackcat suggests.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Tips for Techs

Database

I am sure that I will regret this, but here it is.

I've attached the template for the Excel database. I have only one request. When you add a record to the worksheet also paste it to the New Additions worksheet. Once in a while post the New Additions worksheet to this thread and clear the New Additions worksheet. Zip the file and it will attach just fine.

For the database to be effective it needs a couple things:
    Jam records should list jam codes.
    Error Code records should list the error code.
    Honesty is the best policy here. If it's your own fault, say so. If it's not resolved, mark Unresolved.
    Excel functions best when there are less than 255 characters (including spaces) per cell. It sometimes takes some creative editing to make it all fit.
    If you're concerned about anonymity, use only usernames in the source column.
    Include as much detail as possible. The details of any individual call fade in my memory very quickly.

You Canon guys will recognize the coding. It hasn't changed in a very long time. I've made some minor adjustments to accommodate changes in technology.

Enjoy! =^..^=
    Attached Files Attached Files
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

toner monkey 100+ Posts jamesyboy's Avatar
    I think this is al a good idea top tips!
    I always mark unused connectors on boards with a felt tip before removing the board saves confusion!!
    Carry good calibration charts from a showroom machine they can be used to pull back a customersmachine

this could get a big subject and help a lot of people

here is an oldie but a goodie. I was at a funeral home, an hour away, on a Friday. The machine was an old Minolta 1080 with void streaks. Has trashy developer, and the guy needs it to run that day. Hmm... how to filter crap out of developer? I ask the mortician if he had any ladies stockings. Sure we do, he said, we use them on the corpses. I poured the developer through the stockings and successfully got the trash out.

Here is a tip for anybody who gets to work on shredders. Unlike a copier board, that is usually put together in such a way as to make it nearly impossible to plug in the wrong wire to the connector, a shredder will have a whole row of 2 prong connectors and all the wires are the same color. Draw yourself a map before unplugging anything. I blew a $2400 shredder to learn that.

Also, a lot of shredders that have oil tanks, have the tanks wired to the door switch. Machine will not run, and says the door is open, it may just be low on oil.