Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    copyguy2
    It seems that in this economic climate managers are tasked with many duties so they make sure that they have completed to the 'T' what the owner or upper management is looking for....cost savings ( meeting parts budgets, claiming waranty parts from manufacturer, # of calls performed daily. Each manager no mater what industry is tasked to do more with less. The hit and run gets you your # today. I can recall having a very inexpierienced manager who thought the teams hit and run king was the best tech in the world because he never spent any money on parts. But, two years down the road that techs territory had dwindled to nothing and the sales rep was pegged for not knowing how to sell. Good service techs almost always have high perfroming sales reps in their territory even if they dont know what they are doing. Bad performing techs over time will have poor performing sales reps in their territory. Keep in mind 10 years ago the per page click rate was at a level where you could have an extra tech around to pick up the slack, now a days at 1/2 cent a page who can make money......

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Minimum Call Procedures?

I had a 21 step procedure that I pretty much followed and I didn't worry about time spent doing it (which bugged my boss at the time). The result was that I had customers asking for me and refusing to let any other tech work on their machines. To me it's worth the time to do the job right.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by copyguy2 View Post
    It seems that in this economic climate managers are tasked with many duties so they make sure that they have completed to the 'T' what the owner or upper management is looking for....cost savings ( meeting parts budgets, claiming waranty parts from manufacturer, # of calls performed daily. Each manager no mater what industry is tasked to do more with less. The hit and run gets you your # today. I can recall having a very inexpierienced manager who thought the teams hit and run king was the best tech in the world because he never spent any money on parts. But, two years down the road that techs territory had dwindled to nothing and the sales rep was pegged for not knowing how to sell. Good service techs almost always have high perfroming sales reps in their territory even if they dont know what they are doing. Bad performing techs over time will have poor performing sales reps in their territory. Keep in mind 10 years ago the per page click rate was at a level where you could have an extra tech around to pick up the slack, now a days at 1/2 cent a page who can make money......
    I think the years of fierce competition, manufacturers pushing their own dealerships into areas with private dealers, among other things, fostered an environment of ubercompetition and drove prices down too far. It seems everybody and their brother sells copiers anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by prntrfxr View Post
    I had a 21 step procedure that I pretty much followed and I didn't worry about time spent doing it (which bugged my boss at the time). The result was that I had customers asking for me and refusing to let any other tech work on their machines. To me it's worth the time to do the job right.
    I was always picky about the quality myself. One should always take pride in their work.
    What were some of your steps if you don't mind me asking?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar
    I remember when the dealership I used to work for was sold to some former IKON big wigs that started their own company. All the techs who were meticulous, replaced parts according to schedule and in my opinion did quality work were fired immediately on the first day the company was sold. I only managed to dodge that round of firings because I was the network tech at the time and they needed me. Depending on which company you work for, pride in your work may be your downfall. Unfortunately in a lot of companies it's the "blow and go" guys who keep their jobs fixing copiers while the really good techs are looking for work in some other industry.
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.

Quote Originally Posted by Jules Winfield View Post
    I remember when the dealership I used to work for was sold to some former IKON big wigs that started their own company. All the techs who were meticulous, replaced parts according to schedule and in my opinion did quality work were fired immediately on the first day the company was sold. I only managed to dodge that round of firings because I was the network tech at the time and they needed me. Depending on which company you work for, pride in your work may be your downfall. Unfortunately in a lot of companies it's the "blow and go" guys who keep their jobs fixing copiers while the really good techs are looking for work in some other industry.
    I knew an Ikon sales person years ago and they didn't like the culture there. From what I recall it was very high stress and unfriendly on the employees. It was all about pushing as many units as they could. I've seen a lot of accounts leave Ikon too for other vendors.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kingpd@businessprints.net View Post
    I knew an Ikon sales person years ago and they didn't like the culture there. From what I recall it was very high stress and unfriendly on the employees. It was all about pushing as many units as they could. I've seen a lot of accounts leave Ikon too for other vendors.
    Yeah, my wife used to temp there years and years ago. She said that pretty much everyone that worked there were looking for other jobs. lol
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.