Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    End User 250+ Posts

Which laser copiers/all in ones can print borderless?

I recently got my first laser copier and for my next one would like one that can print borderless for my next one.

I would prefer an HP around $1000-2000, are there any HPs in this price range that do borderless printing? If not what other brands? I would prefer to avoid Canon which is the make of my current machine and for machines in this price range HP is miles ahead on every aspect (although I seem to understand Canon is better for the really big machines).

Thanks

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Ducttape n Glue's Avatar
    The term used is "Full Bleed" when the print is borderless. HP does sometimes refer to it as "Borderless" .
    Here is a copy and paste from HP :
    Full-bleed images extend from edge to edge of the page. To achieve this effect, use larger paper, then trim its edges to the desired size.
    CAUTION: Never print directly to the edge of paper. This causes toner to accumulate inside the printer, which may affect print quality and damage the printer. Print on paper up to 12.28 by 18.5 inches (312 by 470 mm), leaving margins on all four sides of at least 0.08 inch (2 mm).

NOTE: When printing paper wider than 11.7 inches (297 mm), always use the rear output bin. Do not use the optional duplexer when printing this size of paper.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Most Ricoh machines have an "edge-to-edge" function, which goes to the edge on 3 sides, and leaves a very small deletion on the lead edge, which is for separation. I don't think that any of these fall in your desires price range, though.

While this is a viable function, Ricoh does not recommend using it all the time, for the vary reasons that Ducttape n Glue just mentioned.

Again, the best solution is to print on a larger size, then trim it down. This is where the crop mark features of your upper end applications comes into play, so that they give you a line that says "cut here".
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

End User 250+ Posts
    Thanks for the replies. Why couldn't any overlapping toner just be wiped into the waste bin by the scrapper blade?

Another similar question, my inkjet supports full bleed to all 4 edges but only if I tell it it's printing on glossy paper, any idea why? There's no reason it couldn't do it on plain paper but if I lie to it and say it's glossy when it's plain it obviously puts way too much ink and prints much slower.

In any case I was thinking of buying a stack paper cutter that can cut up to 400 sheets at once. This gives me one reason more to get one.

Thanks

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    A laser machine will end up being absolutely filthy inside when running too much edge to edge, with toner accumulating on guides, rollers, belts, etc..

That is why the manufacturers will allow it, but strongly caution you against constant use.

I really can't speak to ink jet limitations.

That stack paper cutter would be a very worthwhile investment.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

OMD-227
    I have always been told in addition to what Ken & Ducttape have said, is a laser engine needs to stop the laser between each page. Therefore in addition to preventing toner spray inside machine & constant jamming from heavy toner on lead-edge, its also a safety measure.

Aab1.... I hope you realise that HP & canon laser engines are the same beast on the inside. Your comparisons of each are unwarranted considering that many of these 2 brands of laser printers have an almost identical version made from the other.

End User 250+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wazza View Post
    I have always been told in addition to what Ken & Ducttape have said, is a laser engine needs to stop the laser between each page. Therefore in addition to preventing toner spray inside machine & constant jamming from heavy toner on lead-edge, its also a safety measure.

Aab1.... I hope you realise that HP & canon laser engines are the same beast on the inside. Your comparisons of each are unwarranted considering that many of these 2 brands of laser printers have an almost identical version made from the other.
    As I said in other threads I'm well aware, in fact they are so similar I use HP cartridges in my Canon, it doesn't change the fact that the Canon version:
    -Doesn't do double sided scanning (HP does)
    -Has a 99 page print limit when printing from PC (HP has no limit at all)
    -The B&W LCD menus are impossible to understand on the Canon (HP uses color LCDs and user friendly menus)
    -Canon hasn't released any updates whatsoever for the drivers or firmware (HP released many updates to both drivers and firmware to address customer complaints)

OMD-227
    Well done, good for you on your outstanding research and understanding. I have not bothered to read your other posts, as I dont deal with inkjets or small laser printers, so I have not wasted my time on this. I was curious on your post relating to borderless laser printing, as this affects everything right up to production machines.
    If you like HP, I say go for it. Send your complaints to Canon as an end-user who is having problems with their machine. If they dont hear from the users, nothing gets changed.

I hope you have got a better understanding now of laser borderless printing.

End User 250+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wazza View Post
    Well done, good for you on your outstanding research and understanding. I have not bothered to read your other posts, as I dont deal with inkjets or small laser printers, so I have not wasted my time on this. I was curious on your post relating to borderless laser printing, as this affects everything right up to production machines.
    If you like HP, I say go for it. Send your complaints to Canon as an end-user who is having problems with their machine. If they dont hear from the users, nothing gets changed.

I hope you have got a better understanding now of laser borderless printing.
    Yes I understand now about laser borderless, I had just assumed they did borderless as all professional flyers are laser printed and borderless, but I assume they all cut them after printing now.

I did email canon usa and canon canada about the 99 page print limit. I'm still pretty happy with this Canon considering I got $350 off the $800 price. The equivalent HP would have cost much more as it didn't have a $350 rebate.

There's a way around most of it's limitations anyway it's just more trouble than should be required.

OMD-227
    Around here, those 'professional flyers' are not 'laser' printed at all. They are done on machines like offset press machines (Heidelbergs etc etc) at a rate of 30K pages per hour. I'd be quite sure most would be done the same way around your part of the world.