Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    no free estimate

New customers are told politley on logging the call that as they dont have a previous account with us, payment for callout/service is to be paid upfont on the day.If they're genuine they pay,if they're not then you've cut them loose before they waste your time.

Technician

Epson stylus pro 7600 driver for ink discharge

I am looking for EPSON Stylus Pro 7600 Driver to be able to perform an ink discharge and other things from the computer.... Thank you all.

Alexa

Re: no free estimate

When a new costumer calls for my service, I brief them about my upfront service fees, and make sure they agreed on it before I go. I need to make sure I get paid for my services before I leave a costumers house .

Technician 500+ Posts

We charge our standard service fee when responding to a call. We have a one hour minimum. Then each hour after that is broken into 15 min. sections. I have the customer sign my work order for the one hour before I leave even if I will need to return with parts. This way, if the customer decided to not have me return, they still owe the initial call. If I spent 30 min. on the initial call and do return, the first 30 min. is included in the first call. I fell that I incurred a cost for the trip to the customers site as well as my services while at the customer site. Think about it this way. If you go to a doctor, you are charged at least an office visit. If they have to do anything more than check your blood pressure, weigh you, listen to your heart beat and lungs, you will be charged for it in addition to the office visit. Have a heating and air man come to your home, you will be charged. Plumber. Charge. Your services are worth something. Always do what is right, and you can never go wrong.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I dealt with this crap a lot with my previous job. Non-contract customers expect that by paying the minimum service rate $x per hour that their wheezing 20+ year old POS copier will be back up to snuff. But regardless of any billable call, unless they have an established account, demand payment upfront. Before I even put my toolbag down, I always confirm with the customer that they are aware that the call will be chargeable. If not, then I try my best to not let the door hit my ass on my way out.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    no free estimate

We're doing all of these things.

Quote Originally Posted by kingpd@businessprints.net View Post
    Definitely charge. You traveled and gave professional advice. For the future, I'd recommend getting a credit card number over the phone and authorize it or charge it BEFORE you leave. At least get a check or cash before you leave the customers site. Actually checks are about worthless to me anymore.

Now we have, to close a deal on parts, especially if they're expensive, offered to come and install them for free after they've paid for the initial inspection...just make sure you build in enough mark-up for the part to cover your time anyway.
    Our office manager charges $500 before I head to the call. Any left over is returned. We've had far too many dead-beats that have worn out their welcome with the old copier company come knocking at our door. We've got a good relationship with many of these other dealers and have called them to find out if their previous customer left them owing. Often it's true, and they don't mind saying so.

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    Our paying customers are told when they call that if no work is done or they refuse the estimate, they will be charged a "Field Estimate Fee". Usually $45 Local. The in shop estimate is $20, or the customer may elect to donate their machine to our parts machine pile.
    We started this one when we took over Samsung warranty work. The moment they found out it was out of warranty and there was a $89 fee they would just abandon the machine. The in-shop diagnostic fee is $45, collected in advance, and a signature on a statement that any machine left more than 30 days will be charged a $20 per month storage fee. After 4 months it's ours for the graveyard. If they are willing to pay the $45 diagnostic, they will at least pick up the corpse. Those that won't pay the $45, ... well it's better to know up front. All estimates should be accompanied by a little disclaimer. Something like: This estimate is to fix the problems that you have pointed out. Any additional problems, or problems that cannot be determined until the machine is operable are additional cost. I've estimated as well as my training and experience allows, but if the machine isn't running, I can't be sure if this one part will fix everything."

Quote Originally Posted by RRodgers View Post
    We give them an internal part number (one I've made up) that way they can't go out and compare on the web. If they do find it on the web we usually try to price match.
    Excellent policy. =^..^=
    Last edited by blackcat4866; 01-21-2012 at 03:12 PM.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

That is an excellent piece of advice from Blackcat! especially on the disclaimer note. In my country here both the tchnicians and the customers have made it a culture of no pay for estimate. The techs only hope is that he shoud not lose the deal. You may or may not get the deal depending on several factors.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    no free estimate

We offer depot repair for other service companies and we had to do the same thing Blackcat and some of the others mentioned. Pay an evaluation fee, we give you an estimate. If we do the work, you are credited the evaluation fee. If not, you can pick it up and pay nothing additional (but fee is not credited). If you don't pick up machine within a certain time limit (we call 3 or 4 times before the deadline to remind the client), the machine is ours, for the boneyard or in some cases has been rebuilt and sold.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".