Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

no free estimate

A new customer call me to come and fix a color copier machine. I told them how much i charge for the service call and they accepted. i went there and i checked the copier and i found out that it needed a drun unit . i went back to my office and email them the price. after that i never heard from them. my question is what form needed for my new customer to sign before starting the job. I would like to be paid for my service time if they don't accept the estimate.

i gave them a fair estimate by giving them the part number needed and by calling precision roller dealer directly to order the part.

please let me know ....thanks all
    Last edited by printershelp; 11-12-2010 at 10:11 PM.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Ducttape n Glue's Avatar
    Same as a doctor, you bill for your time, you diagnosed a problem and recommended a cure. Unless you stated it was no charge estimate up front, I would bill it as labor time, description : diagnose problem, gave solution.

Technician
    but the customer didn't sign any work/order. do i have to mention in the work/order that this isn't a free estimate .

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Ducttape n Glue's Avatar
    I would always have them sign something. At this point I would still bill them as they know you did perform a service call. You stated that you told them your service rate and they accepted it. Who is bringing up this free estimate concept, you or the customer? Are you assuming that they will assume this was a free estimate? If so why? If in the end you don't get paid, consider it a valuable lesson learned. To bolster your position in the invoice you can state it alittle more descriptive like: Performed service call. Diagnosed problem. Recommended solution. Provided supply quote. These are all factual things you did as a service tech that have value. Again, I think you need to look back at when and where the free estimate concept came into play and decide your position..

Technician
    i never mention free estimate to them. i guess i learned a lesson that we should always make your customers sign the w/o.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Definitely charge. You traveled and gave professional advice. For the future, I'd recommend getting a credit card number over the phone and authorize it or charge it BEFORE you leave. At least get a check or cash before you leave the customers site. Actually checks are about worthless to me anymore.

Now we have, to close a deal on parts, especially if they're expensive, offered to come and install them for free after they've paid for the initial inspection...just make sure you build in enough mark-up for the part to cover your time anyway.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    Our paying customers are told when they call that if no work is done or they refuse the estimate, they will be charged a "Field Estimate Fee". Usually $45 Local. The in shop estimate is $20, or the customer may elect to donate their machine to our parts machine pile.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    We charge for an estimate and then credit that if they elect to have the work done. .It is different then the std sevice call. The charge is for evaluating the machine and the estimate itself. Other than cleaning the glass, we do not do any other work, or it becomes a standard sevice call.

Technician
    I work on konica minolta's and work for my own. i never change any drums or fusers on old machines.
    I just suggest to the clients they would spend the same amountor 20% more for a new machine or just lease a colour one.
    but change the drum?
    if I see they are not that happy to spend some extra money, i just take away the machine to my lab, than I call them back: "ok, I checked the machine, this is what you have to spend." if they don't accept, the old machine stay at my place

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by printershelp View Post
    A new customer call me to come and fix a color copier machine. I told them how much i charge for the service call and they accepted. i went there and i checked the copier and i found out that it needed a drun unit . i went back to my office and email them the price. after that i never heard from them. my question is what form needed for my new customer to sign before starting the job. I would like to be paid for my service time if they don't accept the estimate.

i gave them a fair estimate by giving them the part number needed and by calling precision roller dealer directly to order the part.

please let me know ....thanks all
    We give them an internal part number ( one I've made up) that way they can't go out and compair on the web. If they do find it on the web we usually try to price match.
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.