Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 250+ Posts Hemlock's Avatar
    I was responsible for the first & last 15 miles of each day at my last dealership, everything else was business. Except for the paltry 33 cents per mile, it seemed to work out for the best.

But nmfaxman is right; the tech is going to find a way to even it out. Padding mileage reports, longer lunches, selling random parts/toner on ebay. It ain't right but, if you piss all over your techs, it happens.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Always loved this topic at our old shop. Boss got slammed because he thought .35/mile was great. Mileage reimbursement is Federal standard Right now .51/mile. Big discrepancy on what your business owner pays and what he can right off! Hmmmm.......... Business expense gets full right off. If tech could claim on taxes, they have to be able to itemize. Then if they can they can only claim what is more than the 2% of adjusted gross income. .40/mile wont cover gas, maint, tires and insurance on that vehicle. I enjoy when they say that amount is very good.

just one copy?? 500+ Posts
    Mileage reimbursement

I get reimbursed a flat rate each week, tax free on top of my standard wage, plus a tool allowance. Also here in Oz, if you drive a one-tonner, which i do, there is no requirement for a log book to record mileage for tax purposes, just need receipts for fuel, servicing, tyres ect.
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~Thomas Edison

Mileage reimbursement

Quote Originally Posted by mo0651 View Post
    Always loved this topic at our old shop. Boss got slammed because he thought .35/mile was great. Mileage reimbursement is Federal standard Right now .51/mile. Big discrepancy on what your business owner pays and what he can right off! Hmmmm.......... Business expense gets full right off. If tech could claim on taxes, they have to be able to itemize. Then if they can they can only claim what is more than the 2% of adjusted gross income. .40/mile wont cover gas, maint, tires and insurance on that vehicle. I enjoy when they say that amount is very good.

I got 35 cents, it was a lot more than what I paid for gas.

A 10 gallon tank at 3 bucks a gallon is 30 bucks a fill up.

.35 cents at 20 mpg is 70 bucks.

Plus, like you said, you can write off the difference. For me it was 17,000 miles x 16 cents. It helped quite a bit.

sarah.ryan125

Re: Mileage reimbursement

Hi all,

I think krish is right. One should be aware about all such factors to overcome from these conditions.
    By using GPS Mileage Logger which identifies each trip destination address as well as complete mileage Log at the time of driving will helps a lot. Satlogix offers complete and accurate GPS Mileage Tracker with the simplest solution to track mileage log which makes mileage reimbursement easy.

PHD in Sh!t Disturbing 250+ Posts Shadow's Avatar

as Service manager myself, I always allowed the techs to start from their homes if it was close to their first call. It would be the same as if they were heading out from the office. Would your owner like to pay the lesser amount from this tech's home or the higher amount from the office that is 25miles away. do the cost calculation and the time factor involved, the closer he is to the client the cheaper for your owner in time and mileage cost. Plus you have happier clients.
    tell him to give his head a shake big time, the cost savings to him is huge over the course of the year.

certified scrub 500+ Posts
    Mileage reimbursement

sry digging up old stuff,

Whats the proper compensation for the techs? 51c/miles + part insurance + part maintenance?

or

just 51c/miles

My fuel expense(60% work) is completely covered by work allowance, but insurance and tires and car payment etc...is not covered cuz well, the allowance isn't that generous. Is this normal?

or the tax credit covers that?
    Idling colour developers are not healthy developers.

Lucky for me I don't have to deal was reimbursement. My company provides me a car and a company gas card. This car comes home with me and most of the time I dispatch from home to my first call.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Mileage reimbursement

Smile Re: Mileage reimbursement

No matter how much you get for using your own car, it's never enough considering the wear and tear on your car. You have to cheat especially in this day and age. It's harder now to do it as companies have GPS trackers. When I was in the field working for HP, all the guys in our group added 5 miles each way to and from every call. Mileage started when leaving the office for your first call, and on coming home the distance was the mileage from your last call back to the office even if you went home. If you're in a city where you have to pay to park, you can really make out. I bought a few blank receipts from a car lot and just made copies of them before I filled them in. I always had extras. Kinda makes up for the shit you get from the bosses.
    My .02 cents.

Paul@justmanuals.com

certified scrub 500+ Posts
    Mileage reimbursement

Quote Originally Posted by wseyller View Post
    Lucky for me I don't have to deal was reimbursement. My company provides me a car and a company gas card. This car comes home with me and most of the time I dispatch from home to my first call.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    My last job was that, but that was different crap, different pile. Alot more dangerous too.

>JustManuals..

there's no way I can pad this record thing, cuz the boss came from corporate(3 of them), they know the game. Rather than record, they give out allowance/month which is pretty much dead on with the 51c/mile.

we should start a revolution, maybe the system is wrong from the the beginning.
    Idling colour developers are not healthy developers.