Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    denarm

Copy repair businesses / Career

Hello,

I'm new . My name is John, and I'm very happy to have found a forum like this. I am hoping that I can post my story and get some excellent advise from seasoned experts in this area.

I am now 30, and after a period of illness I'm looking at my career/business options. I have an A+ (that I took moons ago) and a little amateur experience with IT. I feel that working with copiers is something I could really enjoy, and do well. I do have a few questions (and please feel free to add any additional information) so I will post them below and hopefully get some answers.

Do you think there is still money in repairing copiers?
    What are the best/worst parts of the industry?
    Do you think that the copy industry is a growing sector?
    How does the sector hold up in a recession?
    How does the sector hold up in good times?
    If you had to start all over, would you do it again?
    What do you most enjoy about your job/career?
    Do you think that a copy repair business could grow and make someone a millionaire (with the right skills/knowledge)?

I have the training thing tracked down right now (possible trainee post) but I would really appreciate any help you can offer me. I know that a bunch of questions can be a little annoying, and if I could take you all out for a beer and listen I would - But, sadly, I can't. If I ever meet any of you though, the beer is on me!

Thanks in advance,

John

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Do you think there is still money in repairing copiers?Yes,but things are tight at the moment,everyone wants it done for next to nothing.You will need to be at your best to keep all your customers and gain new ones.
    What are the best/worst parts of the industry?You can meet some real 100% solid gold idiots/You can meet some amazing people.
    Do you think that the copy industry is a growing sector?Not sure about that,volumes seem to be holding there own,but it is definitely going more I.T. orientated with scanning and connectivity a must these days.Maybe over time volumes will start dropping.
    How does the sector hold up in a recession?Its not too bad as anyone who has a buisness needs a copier/printer of some description.Competition is stiff though from the larger companies.
    How does the sector hold up in good times?Like I said anyone who has a buisness needs a copier/printer,therefore more buisness,more sales.
    If you had to start all over, would you do it again?On a rainy Monday morning No Never!,,On a sunny Friday on the road,,Yes 100%!
    What do you most enjoy about your job/career?Learning,meeting all walks of life,fixing things,doing a good job,freedom..
    Do you think that a copy repair business could grow and make someone a millionaire (with the right skills/knowledge)?Not sure about that,the buisness seems to be heading for Managed Print Services which are all in contracts and usually the bigger companies will have more of an advantage going for these.I have no doubt you could make a good living but not sure about being a millionaire.

Well done on getting through your illness,best of luck for the future.
    Dickie.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Copy repair businesses / Career

A millionaire? Are you looking to be a repairman or an owner?

To be a rich owner I would suggest having three partners including yourself.

One accounting expert, one sales expert and one technical expert.

Also, you should buy out a failing company rather than starting your own. You have a customer base, name brand and immediate service contract income.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Copy repair businesses / Career

I dont see the copier industry going away anytime soon, but at the same time I cant say it will be expanding either. Profits are lean here in the US and competition is always getting tougher. You would be better served sitting down and talking to people face to face and have an actual conversation about these things and if I had it to do over again I probably would. If you are good at what you do the customers will be loyal to you and even in a recession people still need to purchase and keep the copiers running!!!
    Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.