Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Field Tech 500+ Posts
    Copier Tech Rate Per Hr.

Re: Copier Tech Rate Per Hr.

I wasnt even a twinkle in my parents eyes in the 60s.
    It didn't say that I couldn't do it in the manual.

Chromographic Supremesist 100+ Posts nightshade's Avatar

If $150 an hour seems high, put your machines under a service contract and pay per print. Then you won't need to worry about how much it will cost for repairs because it's already paid for.

Then your technician wont have you holding him/her on a cheap and short leash because you are afraid to spend the cashola on your copier. He/she will be able to then do the job to the best of his/her ability and now your pile of neglected junk will shine like a jewel.

EVERYONE will be happier.

Service Manager 250+ Posts Ianizer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nightshade View Post
    If $150 an hour seems high, put your machines under a service contract and pay per print. Then you won't need to worry about how much it will cost for repairs because it's already paid for.

Then your technician wont have you holding him/her on a cheap and short leash because you are afraid to spend the cashola on your copier. He/she will be able to then do the job to the best of his/her ability and now your pile of neglected junk will shine like a jewel.

EVERYONE will be happier.
    +1.
    -I

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Copier Tech Rate Per Hr.

I was the first to laugh off the 150 rate, and instigated with the term jackass.

So, allow me to clarify.

The post was asking for an independent or moonlighter, because two companies quoted him high prices.

Why on earth would you slap a customers face with "150 flat rate, take it or leave it!" or "hey get what you pay for pal!"

You have no idea what the G-D problem is!

Reset a fuser error? (10 seconds) replace a feed wheel ? (45 seconds)

And the "jackass" part comes from the fact copier techs know how print drivers work, and can ping IP addresses.....biiiggg whhhooooooop! That's taking advantage of people!

Of course, there are the anecdotal stories of insanely complicated IT and service calls, but c'mon most of this is not that serious!

An honest rate would be 90 a call plus parts. 15 calls a week you're good for 65k before parts.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JR2ALTA View Post
    I was the first to laugh off the 150 rate, and instigated with the term jackass.

So, allow me to clarify.

The post was asking for an independent or moonlighter, because two companies quoted him high prices.

Why on earth would you slap a customers face with "150 flat rate, take it or leave it!" or "hey get what you pay for pal!"

And the "jackass" part comes from the fact copier techs know how print drivers work, and can ping IP addresses.....biiiggg whhhooooooop! That's taking advantage of people!

Of course, there are the anecdotal stories of insanely complicated IT and service calls, but c'mon most of this is not that serious!

An honest rate would be 90 a call plus parts. 15 calls a week you're good for 65k before parts.
    What do you do for a living?
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

Chromographic Supremesist 100+ Posts nightshade's Avatar

I don't see any referance to a "moonlighter" in the initial post.

But hey, go for it. If you find a "moonlighter" willing to risk his/her job, benifits and retirement for a little side work, or an independant with a smaller firm that is probably not backed by the manufacturer, given the proper training and equipment to do the job correctly. That gamble is yours.

I personally have near a thousand hours of factory training, carry over $25K worth of NEW parts in my van have phone, email and web access to all my vendors and dozens of similarely qualified technicians at the push of a button.

I almost always get it fixed on the first visit.

Thats a value and to me worth the $100+ per hour. Plus travel!

And you can feel free to call me a Jackass, I'll be the first to admit, my SM will be the second and the wife in third!!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Copier Tech Rate Per Hr.

No, he didn't say "moonlighter" but he also didn't pick up the yellow pages either. He is looking for help, on a forum of men and not companies, so it's implied.

And I am not questioning anyone's ability to fix a problem. I am simply imploring people to charge a fair rate. Your bazillion hours of training mean squat when the problem is simple.

I want everyone to make money and do well. If they will pay it, more power to you.

I don't live in Chicago or LA or NY, maybe I just have a deflated value of hourly rates.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts DallasTech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JR2ALTA View Post

So, allow me to clarify.

If it makes you feel any better we charge $169 an hour for touching the customer's network to diagnose a bad cable, unplugged cable, incorrect driver, etc. The fact is we don't want to spend time being the custOmers IT company. Yes, a real IT company would charge less for more, so the customer is free to call them. Explain to me why customer's still pay me to come out and network their copier for that rate? Call Xerox and it will be double that. You obviously don't know a lot about the copier industry, we aren't all IT inclined and diagnosing a color copier's print problem is a little more difficult than fixing a Mono HP 4000 series image problem.

long1031

Be glad your not in Il. about $175.00 to 189.00

Glorified Parts Swapper 100+ Posts ptrflrs's Avatar

150 sounds about right for where u r located. the company i work for charges $110 +tax and parts but no extra for mileage -not that i get any part of that, just get my hourly rate, oh and the parts i use (if any) count against my numbers in cost per call in stead of counting for me like sales people. sales guys get commissions and bonuses for stuff they sell but when we sell a part to a customer it counts against our numbers and eventually against our reviews at the end of the year. so at the end of the year i can hear my boss tell me something like ur numbers here r sucking, the economy is in recession, sales r stagnant so ur not getting a raise. meanwhile the owner has another new jaguar and a new boat. sales gets a bonus cruise to the bahamas and to vegas for top sellers... makes perfect sense, right? almost got into a diatribe there, did u feel the tension? time for a xanax.
    jesus loves you! (everyone else thinks you're an assh*le)
    street cred: CompTIA A+ & Network+ Certified; Konica Minolta Gold Seal x2,
    Konica Minolta Outward ASSociate, Ricoh, Sharp, Lexmark trained