Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Copier Tech Rate Per Hr.

Re: Copier Tech Rate Per Hr.

JR2ALTA
    I guess this is such a sore point with those of us in the industry. Do you know why I became a tech? I took my VCR to a repairman for cleaning and it ended up in worse shape than when we started. I thought it was pretty crappy the way the tech handled it and dishonest. I decided I could learn to do that and I would be an honest tech. After getting into college for electronics (I found out later I did not have to get a degree to fix TV's and VCR's, but I'm glad I got it), I decided I wanted to get into networking instead. When I graduated, there weren't any positions open, and I found an entry level copier tech job. The rest, as they say, is history. I still keep the same thought about being an honest tech, which by the way there are lots and lots of shysters in the industry. I quit 2 jobs because I didn't like their ethics and the money there was good. Better than what I get now, but it was the principle of the thing. I couldn't look at myself in the mirror and work for those people. So I do understand exactly what you're talking about. Independents have just as much concerns and worries. Mainly, most of them are small and don't always have steady checks coming in. I've worked for both and there are positives to both. What you need to look at is value. What someone offers at $150, someone else doesn't. Go by referrals of others. Yes there is some risk involved. If someone offers you a price that's too good to be true, it probably is. Sites like this are beneficial. It is more difficult for them to "pull a fast one" on an educated client.
    Last edited by prntrfxr; 10-06-2011 at 02:21 PM. Reason: grammatical
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by charm5496 View Post
    We charge all of our customers $150 for the first 30 minutes when diong a repair in there office regardless of what the issue is. If it is "2 second fix" then the other 29 minutes and 58 seconds is spent cleaning and checking the equipment for other issues and then filling out paperwork and talking to the customer about future repairs and machine needs. Any time spent past that 30 minutes is billed out in 15 minute intervals at $50 each.

If I am spending time that I do not feel the customer should be charged for because it was my error then I note that on my service ticket as a zero charge. I'm not there to screw the customer over, but I am not going to give my time away either. They called me and requested the service and were given the rates over the phone and agreed to those rates ahead of time.

maybe it is my area. I can not believe how much others are getting. If you bring it in to the shop, it is $20 est. or $50 an hour in shop labor. The other field techs charge $70 an hour and I charge $80 for printers and copiers and $100 to $200 for plotters and shredders. I am going to have my girls do a local survey to see what others are charging. My boss has always allowed me the liberty of voiding charges or giving refunds to make customers happy. If I spend any amount of time on something and for whatever reason it does not function at the end, I do not charge labor. I can not take money for something that does not work. I should have done more research or been a better tech and I would not have wasted the time.

What about when the dark streaks on the printer are coming from the cartridge, do you charge to tell them to change it? I do not.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Copier Tech Rate Per Hr.

What about when the dark streaks on the printer are coming from the cartridge, do you charge to tell them to change it? I do not.
    No. When calls came in, we tried to fix as much on the phone to save the clients money and ourselves time. We had a tech (usually service manager) answering the calls for service, so that questions about their machine were asked by someone knowledgeable. A ballpark appointment got set. We had a tech work board (covered a 12 foot wall) and 2 tables in front of it. The service orders would get pinned to the board under the tech's name (if it was late and the jobs would be for next am and a midday when some techs came back for 2nd load). The likely parts needed for the calls were put on the table under their name. Techs were not allowed in the parts area (cage around it) and all the parts removed were logged. Each tech carried a container with commonly used parts in it for extra calls. A large map was next to this wall and each tech laid out their own route (if client requested am or there were special instructions it was on the work order). After they loaded up, one-by-one they would radio in to say what their first call was going to be and they were supposed to do that after each call. When a call was finished, they would radio what resolved it so the order could be closed.

We frequently cut clients breaks on labor if there were many parts replaced. We had a charge for estimate, but waived it if they agreed to service. Some clients got a flat rate others were by the hour, but it depended on the contract we had with them. Some had a 2 hour response time, some a 4 hour response time, and the rest within 24 hours. I rarely had a call from anyone that we couldn't turn around within 72 hours (unless the part was on back order). In most cases they didn't know it because within 24 hours it was fixed or we put in a loaner machine. Once a week we would vacuum out machines (contract for some clients) and two clients (big ones) we had dedicated techs onsite who even replaced the toner for clients.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".