Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Rtek

Ricoh/Ikon Any other Ricoh techs feel abused?????

I used to enjoy my job, not anymore. As time goes by it is apparent that IKON is now in charge of Ricoh. I heared that IKON was purchased to MANAGE Ricoh. It must be true because alot of Ricoh management have disapearred and IKON management have showed up in their place. I feel like a red headed step child because i am a Ricoh tech. TOO many self-serving back stabbers and that is just in service.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: Ricoh/Ikon Any other Ricoh techs feel abused?????

If it makes you feel any better, the Ikon people don't like it much either. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 250+ Posts Ianizer's Avatar

I don't know about Ricoh/ICON, but we used to be a Ricoh dealer and now are not. Ricoh has chosen to deny us all tech support/TSC-access... And we have TONS of Ricoh product still in the field with obligations to support the gear.

Fair enough, I suppose, but it seems like they're shooting themselves in the foot.

-I

Rtek

I guess it's time to fly the coupe. Into the job market I go..........now to update and revise the resume.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Some of the Ikon guys jumped ship before, some were pushed out during, and a few left later.

You're not the first, and won't be the last to leave. There's no shame in starting again. I've done it four times, and it get's easier each time. I think you'll find more job satisfaction in a position at a smaller company, than a larger one. At least that's the way I found it to be.

When I was with Ikon it was not uncommon to walk around with 30 open calls, and constantly making apologies/excuses for not being there sooner (as if I had any choice). I don't miss that part a bit. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts excanonguy's Avatar

I never worked for Ikon but had to deal with them sometimes in Ottawa when the took on the Canon line..had to do calls for them ,and then they were out undercutting us and stealing our customers! I have worked with and been on coarse with some of their techs over the years, never heard one of them say anything nice about working for them ....I am at my second small dealership(first one were crooks I could write a book about them) very loyal customer base , great owner, great and very experienced techs, and our responce time is about 2 hrs, I really like it here compared to the rat race at Canon, I have a name and am respected unlike my days at Canon (I was 4391 there not Steve!)

Hi. As an ex-IKON toner monkey now toiling at the Ricoh coalface, I beg to differ - at least here in the UK. At IKON, we were able to take charge of our own work planning, had designated customers and areas, and were given what now appears immense responsibilities. But with the shift to Ricoh, it feels as if I stepped into a Tardis, with the controls set to 1994 as far as call planning is concerned. Not to mention systems so archaic that, if IKON were really in charge, it'd been junked on day 1.

ragajungle

As a legacy IKON tech I can sympathize with you. Yes it sucks now, but change is painful... I recall ALWAYS having 12-30 calls on my board, all of us in Chicago where swamped perpetually. Now with the merger things have leveled out. It is not that IKON managers are being mean, but call loads have been redistributed, territories have been evened out.

My manager, a RICOH Manager, explained it in blunt terms during a meeting that "Ricoh techs accustomed to smaller territories, less KPI's, and a strict product line, will feel the pinch more than IKON techs..." in other words, we (IKON) are so used to being overworked with unsustainable call loads that 12 calls will feel like a vacation while you (RICOH) will feel burned. So your feeling are understandable.

Call me naive but I sincerely believe that things can only get better from here. Ricoh has an amazing product line and IKON and Ricoh techs have mad skills - we just need to ride this out and eventually things will even out..

Senior Tech 100+ Posts its_just_a_copier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ragajungle View Post
    Call me naive but I sincerely believe that things can only get better from here. Ricoh has an amazing product line and IKON and Ricoh techs have mad skills - we just need to ride this out and eventually things will even out..
    I agree.

As a relativley new member of a IKON/RICOH tech support team (not sayin' which one!) I find that the legacy Ikon guys are generally pleased with the Ricoh product, and the legacy Ricoh guys are learning the Ikon 'product' just enough to get rid of it!

There are a lot of excellent techs from both sides, and I'm very impressed with their knowledge thus far. As far as the merger goes, things will smooth out and we'll be a powerhouse before you know it!

ragajungle

Add to this that Ricoh also acquired Savin and now IKON there are sure going to be some jaded peeps no matter how you dice it. Especially considering that IKON is company that is totally comprised of companies bought out. Brutal yes, but I AM happy to be working right now.