Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chip

I need your expert advice: Ricoh MP C6501 SPF vs Konica Minolta Bizhub C-552

Hi. I'm tasked here at work to help decide upon our new machine as our current contract is up, and I would appreciate your valuable advice. In the running is Ricoh MP C6501 SPF and a Konica Minolta Bizhub C-552.

Our needs are around 15,000 copies per month (about 5% color) and probably an equal amount of scanning documents to our server.

We've had a Bizhub C-550, and generally pleased with the machine.

The most important factor in our decision is dependability. We need the machine up and running, because down-time is not merely an inconvenience, but a disaster for our business.

The salesmen, of course, always do nothing but sing praises about their own machines, but I know who the real experts are, and I value your opinions. In fact, the next most important factor in our decision is the quality and timeliness of service.

Do you know if one machine is better than the other? If not, what's been your experience or preference about recent machines as it relates to one manufacturer over the other? If there is another machine that blows these out of the water, let me know! Which would you choose if you were in my shoes?

Thanks so much.
    Last edited by Chip; 09-09-2011 at 08:18 PM.

General Troublemaker 250+ Posts ddude's Avatar

Re: I need your expert advice: Ricoh MP C6501 SPF vs Konica Minolta Bizhub C-552

Bizhub. No contest.
    2000 mockingbirds = 2 kilomockingbirds

General Troublemaker 250+ Posts ddude's Avatar

Re: I need your expert advice: Ricoh MP C6501 SPF vs Konica Minolta Bizhub C-552

2000 mockingbirds = 2 kilomockingbirds

Chip

Over 90 views, and nobody willing to give a little advice? Is this request against board rules? I'd appreciate any help.

Conservative in Exile 250+ Posts laserman06's Avatar

Bizhub c552
    The family that prays together, stays together!
    Smile God created you and He doesn't make mistakes!

Relax, God IS in control!

Be still and know that I am God
    Ps 46:10

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I'd be inclined to pick Konica Minolta over Ricoh.

Technician 500+ Posts

I have worked on Ricoh and Konica. If it were me, knowing what I know, I would ask each salesman the following:

Do you have any of these machines in the field? Can you supply me with customers, locally if possible, for me to contact?

What is the PM cycle? You may be able to Google the spec. sheet to see this. Usually, not always, a higher PM cycle of same series machines will require less service. If the techs do what the PM requires.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

I have experience with both products and the argument could be honestly made for either one. Both of these products will do the job admirably. My real opinion is that you should not be focusing on the hardware. Ricoh, Konica and Canon products are the best out there without a doubt and the rest are lagging way behind. From a hardware standpoint you can't go wrong with any of them. The real choice you need to make is who the vendor is going to be, not the brand on the front of the box.

What's the vendor's reputation in your local community??? That is probably the best way to choose the equipment. If the vendor doesn't set up the machine so you get the maximum benefit from it, if they put the deal with a $h11tty leasing company, if it takes them a week to show up and replace a part, it won't much matter what brand of hardware you bought. Choice of vendor is 10X more important than the brand on the front of the box today.

You will find very few who will give you an unbiased opinion on brand of hardware as most in our industry are specifically trained on one or two particular brands. Hopefully what I have told you helps.

Quote Originally Posted by cccjjn View Post
    I have experience with both products and the argument could be honestly made for either one. Both of these products will do the job admirably. My real opinion is that you should not be focusing on the hardware. Ricoh, Konica and Canon products are the best out there without a doubt and the rest are lagging way behind. From a hardware standpoint you can't go wrong with any of them. The real choice you need to make is who the vendor is going to be, not the brand on the front of the box.

What's the vendor's reputation in your local community??? That is probably the best way to choose the equipment. If the vendor doesn't set up the machine so you get the maximum benefit from it, if they put the deal with a $h11tty leasing company, if it takes them a week to show up and replace a part, it won't much matter what brand of hardware you bought. Choice of vendor is 10X more important than the brand on the front of the box today.

You will find very few who will give you an unbiased opinion on brand of hardware as most in our industry are specifically trained on one or two particular brands. Hopefully what I have told you helps.

Agree totally , ask for references from salesmen that you can verify yourself . From my stsndpoint , I like the KM552 , good reliable machine , colors great and capable of doing a lot .

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

If you were looking for just black and white I'd throw Canon into the mix...I do like them. I just think with "office color speed and volume" Konica Minolta is leading with their machines. I like to follow the rule of three...which means investigate three different options before deciding.

Here's the question though. So you were pleased with the Konica Minolta. Did you like working with the Konica Minolta dealership? Sales, service, support etc., were they good? If you had a good experience with them and the machine I'd see no reason to switch unless they're like double the cost, which I seriously doubt.

Stick with what's tried and true my friend...unless you're in my area, then buy from me.