Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Copier Donation Scam?

Hey Guys, I need someone to tell me if they've ran into this equipment payment schedule before and if so how does it work and is it a scam?
    I have a few customers who recently switched companies and signed up for a new lease with this other company. Here's the structure.
    This company targets Churches from what I've seem and they talk the board member into signing a lease that is way more then a normal payment.
    Ie; My quote could be $200 and there's will be $400 for the same equipment and setup. The reason they are signing with the competitor is because they pay back 100% of the lease payment each month as a donation. How could a company survive not making any money!

The only thing I can tell is that this company is in financial trouble, need cash flow and they are doing so by convincing the Churches to sign for a lease that is way over inflated and using the capital too pay immediate bills.

If this company goes bankrupt the customer (Church) is stuck with a HUGE inflated lease for the remained on the lease term with no one to service their machine. GREAT DEAL! NOT!

Can anyone shed light on this for me?

Greatly Appreciated

Gregg

Re: Copier Donation Scam?

WTF!?!
    Anyone with any common sense should see a red flag there.

Technician

I hear you Gregg, this company is taking advantage of Churches! God help them! lol
    When I peak to them regarding this I always say what there is NOTHING for free in this world! They need to look at the big picture.

Technician 500+ Posts

I saw an advertisement here locally that said the church gets the machine for free and the company services it. It also said it was extending the promotion to all business. This could be used equipment on a rental program. I don't know. As far as a lease, I'll bet if you read the fine print, you will find that the picture painted is a not so pretty picture. Probably, 1st payment returned only.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Copier Donation Scam?

Do they get donation money back in taxes or a tax break?
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Copier Donation Scam?

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    WTF!?!
    Anyone with any common sense should see a red flag there.

As we all know, the problem with common sense is that it's not all that common.

certified scrub 500+ Posts
    Copier Donation Scam?

Does this lease thing include servicing?

Trust me when I say this, one would actually loose money putting machine in certain churches..

they frekin use it as a printing press...with inkjet gloss paper....

There's always madness to its method, maybe legit, maybe not, I'd do more research on this before putting the period on it.
    Idling colour developers are not healthy developers.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Could be a ponzi scheme...paying the older accounts with incoming money from the newer accounts...

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I've seen similar postings out there. They're usually left over machines just sitting in storage so they give the machine for free but make up for it in a higher click charge, maybe 2-3 cents per b/w page.

Quote Originally Posted by copiman View Post
    I saw an advertisement here locally that said the church gets the machine for free and the company services it. It also said it was extending the promotion to all business. This could be used equipment on a rental program. I don't know. As far as a lease, I'll bet if you read the fine print, you will find that the picture painted is a not so pretty picture. Probably, 1st payment returned only.