Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Technician commissions for "Leads"

Former technician here that has been in sales the past 12 years.

Technician goes out on a service call at one of my largest multi-machine, multi location accounts. (Keep in mind this is an account I've been handling for many many years and that buys everything from me.) Office manager asks the technician to have me give him a call regarding replacing the machine. Instead of giving me a call and passing along the message, technician turns it in as a "Lead".

The company's main office was already considering upgrading the equipment in the main office. When I got back together with the owner of the company we decided to rotate the old machine from the main office out to this other office and retire the machine in that location.

Now the technician is expecting a chunk of my small commission I made on the deal for the "Lead" he turned in.

I've got to call BS on this one. Passing along a phone message is not a "Lead". Besides that its one of my best clients and one of our company's oldest accounts.

What do you guys think?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Technician commissions for "Leads"

How long have you been "talking" to client? Tech made sale happen. Don't get me wrong here... It sounds like you and your techs take care of this company, that's why they stay with you. How many have you placed without giving a little commission?

Technician

There is no easy answer here. I have been a tech for 27 years and whenever I turn in a lead or hear of someone replacing machine , I always hear that a sales person is already working on it. Lets face it, sometimes a customer is not committing to replacing equipment without some kind of head nod from the technician. What is that worth to you?Techs appreciate any money tossed their way. It doesn't have to be hundred bucks, and if your not making decent money on your sales , then you won't be selling very long. We need a thanks and a token.

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Phone, email, verbally, post it note on your desk....a lead is a lead.
    Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

It was at my next meeting with the owner of the company 3 weeks later regarding replacing the equipment in the main office that the idea of rotating the old machine from corporate out to the branch came up. We were in talks regarding upgrading the equipment in the corporate office long before the lead for this branch was turned in.

Technician has no idea of my involvement and long relationship with this account. This isn't the sort of account where you see the people once every 3 years.

I have no problem paying a tech for a legit lead. I was a tech for many years and I get it. I also know the difference between a legit lead and when someone asks by name for their account manager to give them a call. This was not a legit lead by any stretch of the immagination.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

You just said it yourself....."the tech has no idea of your relationship with the account." A lead is a lead.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Sorry, but passing on a message from an employee (not the decision maker) of an existing major account where a machine ended up being moved to as the result of another deal that was already in the works is not a "Lead". Definately not worthy of expecting to be paid for it. Sorry.

I'll give you another personal favorite of mine with technician's turning so called "Leads" on existing accounts. That is when they turn in a lead on an existing account and give it directly to a sales rep (Not following procedure) who does not handle that particular account. Then they expect the rep that does handle the account to give them a piece of the commission after they gave it to someone else hoping for money. Sorry again.

Like I said before I have no problem paying for a legit lead but it has to be legit. One other thing is that techs have a perception that the sales reps are all rolling in money when the truth is its been pretty rough the past 3 or 4 years even for the best out there. Heck, there are times I wish I were still turning a screwdriver and not have the stress of being in sales in this economy.

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

It would seem to me you have already made up your mind on this one and this post is unnecessary. However, from reading your posts, you seem to have converted to a salesperson quite well...
    Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mo0651 View Post
    How long have you been "talking" to client? Tech made sale happen.
    Tech absolutely had nothing to do with making the sale happen. I was already working with the corporate office to replace their equipment in the main office. The customer was going to do nothing at the branch location until I suggested we move the old equipment from corporate and put it in the branch. The branch where the "Lead" was turned in did not get a new machine. They got the old machine from the corporate office.

Perhaps I'm not making myself clear. The branch office that the "Lead" was turned in for did not get a new machine. The machine for the main office was already in the works. The branch office got a hand me down.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Technician commissions for "Leads"

I am just wandering why you are wanting our input, you have struck down every opinion given.