Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Copier tool kit survey

Hi,

Would like your opinions on which brand Copier Tool Kit you think is best. For the price and quality. Any details you would like to add would be appreciated!

- Thanks

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: Copier tool kit survey

I don't think I know any tech who has a actually purchased an entire "kit".

Obviously, you need to start off with a good case, but after that, it's normally a hodgepodge, ad hoc collection of screwdrivers, nut drivers, pliers, meters, etc..

While it may not make for the prettiest tool set, it does allow you to select "best of breed" components, not all necessarily coming from the same vendor.

Most techs simply can't afford the price tag that comes with the kits; any worthwhile one I've ever seen is at a minimum of $400, while some are much more than that.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Copier tool kit survey

Most of my "kit" was built up one piece at a time. I have a few expensive tools, sure. But in this business, noone needs a full set of sockets, a full set of allen wrenches, or a full set of anything.

I think that you'll find that if you start with ... :
    4" #2 magnetic Phillips Screwdriver
    8" #2 magnetic Phillips Screwdriver
    1/8" flat blade Screwdriver (for E-clips)
    1.5mm, 2.0mm, 2.5mm Allen Wrenches
    Small Retaining Ring Pliers (outer)
    Retaining spring hook
    A few 1 ounce squeeze bottles for your favorite cleaners, oils, etc.
    Small wire cutters

... you'll fill in the other items as needed. Between my #2 Phillips and the Kershaw Multitool, that covers 75% of my tool requirements. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Yea, I have alot of the tools already. Maybe I'll just get a good case to organize them.

-Thanks

Supervisor 50+ Posts Itsthepaper's Avatar
    Love the Job Love the Work.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Copier tool kit survey

Here's mine 6kgs, 40x25x10cm, its the small one I daily carry around. The large tool kit I have is under "reconstruction", I'm trying to integrate a Notebook in it.

The tools in the small kit are partially on each other in two layers as the pliers are showing.

Hans

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Hey Hans, is that a beach towel? You could do side work as a traveling dentist with that kit.

As mentioned before, the Phillips is the bread and butter. Needle nose and c-clamp pliers, spring tool, flat head and small flat head for e-rings, wire cutters, flashlight, clothes and rags, squirts bottles for various fluids and my two personal favorites; a magnetizer and hemostats. I can't tell you how many times hemostats can fit in where needle nose cannot. Sharp loves flat plastic c-rings in tight spaces.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Zeldaman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mojorolla View Post
    Hey Hans, is that a beach towel? You could do side work as a traveling dentist with that kit.

As mentioned before, the Phillips is the bread and butter. Needle nose and c-clamp pliers, spring tool, flat head and small flat head for e-rings, wire cutters, flashlight, clothes and rags, squirts bottles for various fluids and my two personal favorites; a magnetizer and hemostats. I can't tell you how many times hemostats can fit in where needle nose cannot. Sharp loves flat plastic c-rings in tight spaces.

Hi there!
    For 1 year now we use a Toolbackpack, very good thing ´cause you have both hands free.Foto0028.jpg
    The "special"-toolkits they sell here in Germany are much to expensive, heavy and mostly senseless.
    Greetings....

Technician 500+ Posts

Blackcat and Mojo are on track. The kits are way too much for copiers,fax,and printers. It is best to find a tool bag you feel like carrying and that will hold what you want to carry in some sort of orginized way. I purchased a small rolling suitcase. It houses my tools, chemicals, rags, laptop, and some parts. Great for long walks or rainy days.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts I3FusionGuy's Avatar

I carried this around for about a year, before I changed professions. It allowed me to carry my service laptop, tools, chemicals, cleaning supplies, multimeter, lubes, rollers (and other small parts like screws, springs, c-clamps, etc in old clear pill bottles) where ever I went. I put common feed tires in the sorted shelves. I almost NEVER had to go back out to the vehicle to get anything. Believe me, I was the envy of any other tech in sight!!!

The only thing I modded was adding a piece of high density shipping foam, in case it tipped over - after a nurse INTENTIONALLY knocked it over and bent one of the arms.

I had a toolpack, but it just WASN'T ENOUGH!!

And, lowes has em for about $80. AND you can carry a two fuser or toners on top of it. What can I say, this thing is bada$$!
    Attached Images Attached Images