Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Technician

Re: Talk me into an Ipad

I got one after much thought. It's great, in fact I am on it now, all manuals on it, brochures for sales, copy tech net when stuck all with no boot up. It also distracts customers when things get tricky as they are more interested in the iPad. Away from work they're cool too. In summary they rock and anyone with an alternative whines in the same way blackberry/android phone users whine about iPhones until they get one and realise they were wrong. Just get one

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Talk me into an Ipad

Ricoh is in the initial stages of replacing the EDGE devices (Motorola MC75) with a tablet, though it hasn't been determined what make and how long till a rollout starts. When I was in Atlanta I saw a Motorola XOOM that was being looked at and a ruggedized version of same that COMCAST field techs use. It had swappable ports that allowed you to switch between HDMI, RJ45, Serial and others as needed. It also hasn't been divulged if these will replace the laptops at some point (I don't think they have enough storage space).

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

I don't like apples lifestyle gadgets but I was already considering to get a tablet because it's indeed more handy to take a quick look in a manual or prepare a firmware update. Unfortunately there aren't really any ARM-driven tablets out there with a fullsize SD card slot, fullsize USB connector (so I can hook up an USB stick directly) and enough internal memory for all manuals and firmware I need to carry around. I'd also love to see a tablet that comes with RJ45 network connector so I can access web interfaces. I know I can get a computer-tablet with windows but that's nothing else than a notebook without a keyboard but even some worse performance if it just contain Intels Atom CPU for instance.

I'm using a Dell PDA for ~5 years that does do most of the jobs but the performance is not state of the art anymore. Moving firmware files takes too much time and browsing through manuals is not very comfy on a little VGS display, still it does the job if I don't need to read intensely.

So I bit the bullet and got the new iPad when they released it. Still working on getting all my manuals on it but the no boot up time is great and it's kept me from lugging my 800 lb laptop in all my calls besides the IT ones. I'm already wishing I would have splurged for the 64 gig though.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

There are three brands I will NEVER EVER get: Sony, Dell, and Apple. These three companies are so expensive, proprietary, corrupt, and their products are very limiting.

Basically getting anything "generic" or other than these brands is typically less expensive and not locked down as much.

Oh and Sony and Apple are notorious for suing their own customers when eventually the defendants (consumers) ended up winning under the "fair use" clause.

just my two pennies.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Talk me into an Ipad

Quote Originally Posted by ledoux View Post
    So I bit the bullet and got the new iPad when they released it. Still working on getting all my manuals on it but the no boot up time is great and it's kept me from lugging my 800 lb laptop in all my calls besides the IT ones. I'm already wishing I would have splurged for the 64 gig though.
    As soon as they get the heat problems and thw Wi-Fi connect problems fixed, I'll be buying the 64gb version. Actually I'm gonna get my wife to buy it for my 60th (ugh) birthday in June.

Paul

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by manuals4you View Post
    As soon as they get the heat problems and thw Wi-Fi connect problems fixed, I'll be buying the 64gb version. Actually I'm gonna get my wife to buy it for my 60th (ugh) birthday in June.

Paul
    Oh man, sorry I had no idea. No wonder you seem so grumpy and pissed off all the time

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Talk me into an Ipad

Thumbs down Re: Talk me into an Ipad

Quote Originally Posted by kingpd@businessprints.net View Post
    Oh man, sorry I had no idea. No wonder you seem so grumpy and pissed off all the time
    I'm recovering from surgery. I've been laid up for 3 months with a kidney stone. I had to have surgery twice, and then I had a stent going from my kidney to my bladder tied to a string that then exited out the head of my dick. A truly horrible experience not to mention terribly painful.

Paul

Senior Tech 100+ Posts doug94550's Avatar

For myself, I have been using an Asus Netbook for a while now.
    The netbook I can place anywhere and tilt the screen to me.
    But the biggest thing is that it has a matte screen.
    Some of the tablets have a screen so reflective that you can shave in it.
    Totally annoying.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Talk me into an Ipad

I would like to know why these Chinese shitheads came op with those horrible reflective screens. I see no real good reason for the use of it. Nobody likes them, nobody needs them.

Hans