Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

In need of service department policy and procedures

I have been hired on as a service manager and my first task is to put in place a policy and procedure manual for doing service calls and all aspects ofthe service department. I am wanting to get copies of other companies policies so I can use it as a starting point. If you can email me a copy of what you use I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Service Manager 250+ Posts Hemlock's Avatar

Re: In need of service department policy and procedures

It's a patently bad idea to do something just because everyone else is doing it.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

How much are you willing to spend?

Gregg

Not starting off good if your using someone else's rules and regulation list.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts

As a service manager, I would be going to my technicians and getting their input.

We don't have a policy on it written in stone, but we all adhere to what we agreed on being a minimum service for each call. Basically this was decided by all of our techs sitting down and thinking about it properly instead of one person making the decision.

If you do it that way, your techs are more likely to adhere to the policy.
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheOwl View Post
    As a service manager, I would be going to my technicians and getting their input.

We don't have a policy on it written in stone, but we all adhere to what we agreed on being a minimum service for each call. Basically this was decided by all of our techs sitting down and thinking about it properly instead of one person making the decision.

If you do it that way, your techs are more likely to adhere to the policy.

This is the best way to do it. Your techs know your customers better than anyone else. Set a minimum standard after talking to everyone in your department and then let it grow from there...find ways to do things better, more cost effective, etc. If you want the employees to "buy in" let them have a say in the process.
    Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

I agree whole heartily with the above statements. The number one reason a customer jumps ship to a competitor is bad service. Why would you want to mold yourself after the company you just replaced?

Buy your techs lunch and pick their brains for an hour.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

PHD in Sh!t Disturbing 250+ Posts Shadow's Avatar

as service manager I worked with the techs to set the policy and procedure. the only steadfast rule I had was with the clients.
    Fix the Customer - listen to what they have to say about the machine and acknowledge that you understand their issues.
    Fix the Machine - do your very best to resolve the clients issues, if not call on another tech for assistance.
    Fix the Customer - yes I said fix the customer again, acknowledge the issues that you found, have the client operate the machine, and
    you don't leave till they are satisfied.

the clients and their end users were so pleased with that concept that I managed to beat out other companies for contracts, the clients words were XYZ has a service department that listens to us and will explain what they did in a way that we understand. Try that with some of these companies out there and see where you get. Trial and error will tell you if the policies are working or not, tech input is the key tou your success.
    $hit Happens - Deal with it and move on.........................................................................Lock & Load

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

1. Show up every day.
    2. Make customer happy.
    3. Don't embarrass company!
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking