Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UNION

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar

Re: UNION

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Scabs? Really, can you be replaced by some chump off the street in a week?
    In the copier industry, absolutely. Unfortunately it happens all the time. In the real world, copier dealership owners/managers see technicians as necessary evils. The seasoned veterans who know their job inside and out are seen as a waste of money compared to the blow and go young tech who"ll show up for half the salary. If you're looking for appreciation and proper compensation in this industry, go into sales.
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    UNION

If you talk to somebody that's a member of a union, they'll tell you that, Sure they make great wages, and they pay a big portion of it back to the union. If you're objective is to get compensated appropriately for your level of experience, an unencumbered market is your best chance. Just my 2 cents ... =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

I would join the union under one condition: the sales staff is in the same union. That way we all get bonuses, incentive promos, company trips, paid lunches, and an expense account. Sign me up!

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Some very good points on both sides of the issue - although I don't think profanity helps to make any kind of point. I have also been anti union most of my life. No union ever did anything for me. But man, these days I look around and see that guy that couldn't fix a toaster, in the operators union or some other union and he's making better money, and benefits than I am.
    I agree that it won't work if only a few shops in any area go union, it only works if we leave the major proportion of business in a region without qualified service if we don't work.
    Scabs? Really, can you be replaced by some chump off the street in a week? Can your owners/managers pick up the slack if all the techs leave? I suspect that they are so thinly staffed at all the other positions in their companies that they couldn't pick up more than one techs tasks for very long.
    Yes unions like any other human enterprise are subject to many human failings, including corruption and greed, but don't we owe it to ourselves and our families to improve our positions?
    Aren't we worth as much as carpenters, electricians, welders, pipe-fitters, plumbers, etc...?

Just sayin'
    Fuck no... we are worth more! Nothing against plumbers but can they set up scan to email as well as fix the copier?
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

PHD in Sh!t Disturbing 250+ Posts Shadow's Avatar

I think that the first step would be to have a pole and see how many Tech's would be interested in forming an Association first.
    Being organized with some influence behind us would go a long way. Employers and Government would have to start paying attention to the lonely copier tech.

Please post your thoughts along with what you see as the pro's and con's of such an association.
    $hit Happens - Deal with it and move on.........................................................................Lock & Load

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I think that the first step would be to have a pole and see how many Tech's would be interested in forming an Association first.
    Being organized with some influence behind us would go a long way. Employers and Government would have to start paying attention to the lonely copier tech.

Please post your thoughts along with what you see as the pro's and con's of such an association.
    Or, you can just scroll up and read everyone's post.
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    UNION

Cool Re: UNION

Quote Originally Posted by RRodgers View Post
    Fuck no... we are worth more! Nothing against plumbers but can they set up scan to email as well as fix the copier?
    No, but if it wasn't for Plumbers, you'd have no place to go.

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

I refuse to be in a union with anyone who does not know the difference between "pole" and "poll".

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Absolutely freakin' not!!!

We had one of our offices try that.

I can't go into detail, but it was a TOTAL disaster.

WORST...MISTAKE...EVER!!!

Unions have their place in quite a number of industries, but NOT ours.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    We had one of our offices try that.
    I was working out of the Canton office when that happened, But it was like OldFart said, it was doomed to fail with only one office going that way.

I have to agree with Jules. Companies just don't value experienced techs anymore, if they ever did. Unionizing wouldn't change much. There seem to be 2 types of companies I've come across in this industry, ones started by service techs and the rest started by sales. I currently work for a company started by a guy doing service out of his van. Now has 9 techs and is a great place to work. Some techs might not agree but he treats his techs very well. I worked for a sales oriented business started by a salesman (L@ke) and they made no bones about treating the techs like stepchildren. Not allowed to walk anywhere in the building where there is carpet?!!? LOL!
    If you happen to be working for a service oriented business be happy, if you work for the other, my sympathies and if you cant beat em join em and go into sales. My 2 cents.