Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: UNION

Technician

UNION

I would like to see printer/copier techs unionized. What do y'all think?
    Many of us have spent serious money getting educated to qualify for the positions we hold. A lot of us have a lot of years on the job and have precious little to show for it in benefits, especially if we work for small operations.
    Many proprietors maximize thier profits by only keeping one or two really experienced and decently paid techs on staff, thereby denying advancement and earning potential to younger techs.
    Copier techs should have the same kind of career earning opportunities as other skilled trades.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar

Re: UNION

FUCK NO!!!! I don't wanna make the same amount of money is the guy down the street who can't fix a toaster.
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    UNION

No way!!!!!!!!

I believe Unions are outdated. Gov't rules and laws are in place now that weren't in the early 1900's. Now Unions have put in place more red tape and politics than is necessary.

I will not choose to work in a place that is Unionized. Plus many of the small operations would not utilize union labor.

PHD in Sh!t Disturbing 250+ Posts Shadow's Avatar

the first thing we would need to do is have this be a recognized trade, just like in Europe.
    once that is done, then you are able to work towards an association or union.
    $hit Happens - Deal with it and move on.........................................................................Lock & Load

Service Manager 250+ Posts Hemlock's Avatar

Absolutely.

Company owners, far too often, put costs onto their techs rather than absorbing them. Things like 8 am start times or 5 pm finish times at locations 90-100 miles from home base; not paying mileage to first or from last call, especially when the call is an excessive distance; requiring use of personal vehicle but objecting to routine maintenance like a quick oil change during work hours; only offering comp time for working late instead of paying overtime (often comp time is 1 hour for 1 hour instead of 1:1.5); not paying for legit sales leads; bosses playing favorites at raise/promotion time instead of advancing people based on merit; mileage reimbursement rates that lag far behind the swing in gas prices (who here sees more than 50 cents per mile?). We've all seen the shenanigans; maybe not at our current employer, but somewhere along the line.

Copier techs get taken advantage of. The only reason most of us stay with it is we like to repair things/work with our hands and hate being in the same office every day. While every system has its flaws (unions included) the benefits outweigh the occasional asshattery. There's no reason why we can't have a say in how our skills (and resources) are being utilized.

Technician
    UNION

Back in the 80's there was a Union Shop Copier Dealer in NYC. Willoughby Peerless. Ran a big retail camera store & had a copier divison that was a union shop. The camera division wasn't union, is still around & has been for years. The Copier Division is long gone............

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar

Good luck with that. If the copier industry goes union then it's going to have more scabs than a meth addict with OCD.
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

At one point in this country's history, unions were a good thing; but that ship sailed a long time ago. I worked for a union for 10 years, almost 10k in dues over those 10 years. They decided to lay me off and give my job to 2 part timers so they wouldn't have to pay benefits. The union did nothing. Fuck unions! As stated earlier, I do not feel I should make the same money as someone else who knows a third of what I know.

My skills dictate what I make, not some slick haired, cigar smoking douche.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mojorolla View Post

My skills dictate what I make, not some slick haired, cigar smoking douche.

True dat...
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.

Technician

Some very good points on both sides of the issue - although I don't think profanity helps to make any kind of point. I have also been anti union most of my life. No union ever did anything for me. But man, these days I look around and see that guy that couldn't fix a toaster, in the operators union or some other union and he's making better money, and benefits than I am.
    I agree that it won't work if only a few shops in any area go union, it only works if we leave the major proportion of business in a region without qualified service if we don't work.
    Scabs? Really, can you be replaced by some chump off the street in a week? Can your owners/managers pick up the slack if all the techs leave? I suspect that they are so thinly staffed at all the other positions in their companies that they couldn't pick up more than one techs tasks for very long.
    Yes unions like any other human enterprise are subject to many human failings, including corruption and greed, but don't we owe it to ourselves and our families to improve our positions?
    Aren't we worth as much as carpenters, electricians, welders, pipe-fitters, plumbers, etc...?

Just sayin'