Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: UNION

Service Manager 250+ Posts Hemlock's Avatar

Re: UNION

Quote Originally Posted by Jules Winfield View Post
    Techs will always be at the bottom of the totem pole in this industry. Having a union isn't going to change that cold, hard fact...
    Hotel maids are at the "bottom" of their industry and some of them have unionized. It's not about becoming rich or lazy, but sharing in the profit you help create for the BoD/Owners and insuring you're treated fairly.

How often does the increase in mileage reimbursement mirror the increase at the pump? There's no reason why, if you have to cover a legit business expense like that, you shouldn't also share in the revenue when times are good.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hemlock View Post
    Hotel maids are at the "bottom" of their industry and some of them have unionized. It's not about becoming rich or lazy, but sharing in the profit you help create for the BoD/Owners and insuring you're treated fairly.

How often does the increase in mileage reimbursement mirror the increase at the pump? There's no reason why, if you have to cover a legit business expense like that, you shouldn't also share in the revenue when times are good.
    I totally agree with the theory behind what you're saying. It's just that reality always seems to rear it's ugly head and beg to differ. If you want profit sharing and fair treatment and things of that nature, you'd be better off joining a commune and raising organic vegetables. I'd do it, but I hate the smell of patchouli oil... Well, that and my wife and kids kinda expect me to bring home enough money to actually live on.
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.

Service Manager 250+ Posts Hemlock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jules Winfield View Post
    I totally agree with the theory behind what you're saying. It's just that reality always seems to rear it's ugly head and beg to differ. If you want profit sharing and fair treatment and things of that nature, you'd be better off joining a commune and raising organic vegetables. I'd do it, but I hate the smell of patchouli oil... Well, that and my wife and kids kinda expect me to bring home enough money to actually live on.
    Reality can change, but you have to want it. 100+ years ago, kids working 12 hours days in dangerous factories was the norm. Women and black people weren't allowed to vote. There were no safety standards for miners, hi-rise steelworkers or anyone else for that matter. People, collectively, decided they were worth more than the pittance that the company owners threw them and made changes. It wasn't easy or quick, but they did it and ended up making America a place to be proud of. You know - solid middle class, upward mobility and all that.

Here's the other thing - we can't just want it for ourselves (why worry if you've got a solid job, right?). Remember that our kids are going to be out in the world we leave behind. Giving up our own protections means giving up our kids protections as well.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hemlock View Post
    Reality can change, but you have to want it. 100+ years ago, kids working 12 hours days in dangerous factories was the norm. Women and black people weren't allowed to vote. There were no safety standards for miners, hi-rise steelworkers or anyone else for that matter. People, collectively, decided they were worth more than the pittance that the company owners threw them and made changes. It wasn't easy or quick, but they did it and ended up making America a place to be proud of. You know - solid middle class, upward mobility and all that.

Here's the other thing - we can't just want it for ourselves (why worry if you've got a solid job, right?). Remember that our kids are going to be out in the world we leave behind. Giving up our own protections means giving up our kids protections as well.
    I'm starting with the... Man in the Mirror
    I'm asking him to change his ways
    And no message could have been... any clearer
    If you wanna make the world... a better place
    Take a look at yourself and make that...
    Change... (Wooo... Wooo... )
    Na na naaa... na na naaa... na naaaa na naaaa

Sorry, I got caught up in public service announcement vibe. I'm sure 100 years ago unions were a good thing, but unions in this day and age seem to promote nepotism (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) and reward laziness and incompetence. I come to this conclusion not from what I read or what has been presented in the media, but from the experiences of people I know who were members of unions. Besides, unions are becoming just as corrupt as the business owners/managers they negotiate with. And let's not forget that you have to actually pay to be in the union. Paying to go to work? That's got to be like the seventh level of retarded...
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    UNION

Quote Originally Posted by manuals4you View Post
    What do you expect from an 'oldfart' ?
    "DUST"
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

former propeller tester 250+ Posts

techs are part of the running cost of machines just like toner. It is the cost per copy contracts that have sealed our fate. Shouldnt be moving heavy machines tho

Technician

Yeah it sucks being a cost point but I think we could improve our lot if we could unite in some way. I haven't seen my bosses or customers lifestyles affected by the cost of copier/printer service. Working for an independent we are movers, installers, IT pro's, and maintainers. We do it a lot cheaper than the manufacturers techs and we still get bitched at about how much it costs by guys driving 'Benz 500's, and our bosses still get all the perks while we don't get raises for years at a time. MAN IT FEELS GOD TO VENT!!