Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I work for myself and my wife stays home and does the office work. I'm not getting rich yet but i'm not starving either. Its hard to take time off, but I'm not punching a clock.
    There is plenty of tech support out there if you run into trouble. I have never been factory trained on any machine and run a good business (15 years).
    I'm also looking for a good tech that wants to go out on there own (in florida). I have a great base of 80-90 contracts and hundreds of per call and supply order customers. Lots of room for more business but theres only so many hours in the day.

Passing Duplication Xpert 1,000+ Posts cobiray's Avatar
    You could always test the waters for better offers and then take those back to Scrooge in an attempt to get a raise. Seems like the going on your own route could be a little risky, but that's been stated. Sounds like a lot more leg work and head ache. Ultimately it depends how fed up you are with your current position and the lack of other options. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Mezagog View Post
    Sorry for the delay guys, I've actually been busy looking into this more. Appearantly the owner is in trouble with his two Distributors and one had approached me about possibly taking over things.................All for the low low cost of a 150,000 dollar buy in Do these guys not know how little we get paid.

It's not the fact that I'm afraid of the machines, because lets be honest the only difference in the copy, print, fax concept is the name on the box and thats it. The theory is identical on all machines. I think my biggest worry and what I'm going to start researching this weekend (Wife and Kids are going out of town..........Bachelor weekend) is the whole getting my hands on the manuals. You guys were right on the suppliers part. Man I can't believe how many third party people there are out there. Well everything but boards.

Anywho, I did want to follow up with the fella's to let you know what was going on with this. If nothing else I'll use this as my diary on the trials and tribulations on this whole subject.

Later guys
    Hytec for boards and board repair. They have good tech support too.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Good luck on what ever you decide to do!

As a little chime in, one thing I wonder about with indepedent techs is how you get the software tools for the machines, or do you just not work on machines that need it? I can't imagine sending my techs out to work on the newer Canon machines (we are a dealer) without the system support tool and NAVI. Maybe these things can be bought online? I'm sure someone is willing to sell them.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    What's Stopping Me................

freedomtt:
    I wonder the same thing. We are a Copystar dealer, and it would be nearly impossible to sell these machines as networkable MFPs without a whole raft of utilities:

KM-Net Viewer
    Setup Utility
    Current firmware
    etc.

I simply beg off on models with this sort of software requirements, i.e. Xerox.

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Going independent

I noticed that this thread hasn't had any activity in about a week but I thought that I'd ad my two cents.

I have been an independent for the better part of the past 20 years and I must admit there are times when I yearned for the security of a "job". But you know what? You can do pretty well for yourself if you're willing to go out and pound the pavement. You can talk to the customers that you are taking care of and ask them how they would feel about signing a service contract with a small insependent (YOU!) You can line up several dozen customers within a month. If you are personable and customers like you, you can get a leg up. As far as worrying about keeping up with technology, you can become a dealer or a retailer and have access to new machines, parts, supplies and technical support. Copystar is always looking for dealers, and I found out that you can become a dealer for NEC who market Kyocera and Konica-Minolta machines ans you don't even have to have a store front. You can do it out of your home. There are a multitude of resources that you can connect with for parts, supplies and machines. I deal with NuWorld down in Cerritos and I've been able to get machines, parts, and whatever else I need from them. They're good. I'm also a dealer for NEC but I work from home and best of all, I get to keep all the money!

Let me know how you make out. There are always options.

Aloha,
    Mr. Bill (Oh Nooo!)

'

Good luck to you
    I would recommend you stick to one or two brand as it takes a while to find your way round their service modes etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorotron Wizard View Post
    Good luck to you
    I would recommend you stick to one or two brand as it takes a while to find your way round their service modes etc.

I agree. I put service contracts on Toshiba and Sharp mainly. Although I will service just about anything, it gets hard to carry that many different toners and supplies.

Thanks for that but it's not just the toners, its finding the different procedures to get into the service modes, I remember CROP codes for Sharp machines but what no does what (CROP 14 Fix all) 10871087 for the old Mita and some Nashua (& now the new Kyocera) stop 0 stop1 Minolta, Stick a spike in the hole for Cannon, Paper tray UP etc for Panasonic, these are just afew off the top of my head, but then what code does what, if you stick to a couple of brands you can get quite good at sorting the problems, ok take on any that come along but when you upgrade you can put in a mc that you know your way around. Anything you are not sure of ask here on the forum you can be assured of support here
    The Wizard

To the Pessimist the glass is half empty
    To the Optimist the glass is half full
    To the copier engineer...
    The wrong glass has been supplied, it should be 50% smaller Haha

Thats true. Thats why I only put the service contracts on Toshiba and Sharp. Machines that I know well and have solid support on. I service the rest on a per call basis. That way if it looks like a good account I can check out the machine and with the intrivias guide you can get by most times. 80% of the time its something you can figure out right away. If not and I think its going to more of a pain in the ass than its worth then I respectfully decline the job and I'll usually give them some names of other independants that specialize in that specific brand. Then they will reccomend you when they run into a problem with a brand you specialize in. Most of the calls I get from my advertizing is companies that are sick of the big dealers and being roped into these never ending leases. There is a sea of repoed and off lease equiptment out there, some current models with very low meters that a small guy can make a good living and still compete with the big guys and save customers money. The only accounts I have trouble getting are the very large companies, but I'd rather stay with the midsized companies anyway. When you have a few accounts that generate most of your income and you lose one it could be devastating. I have 70-80 contract customers and a few hundred supply and per call customers and its just my wife doing all the office work and drop ship orders and I take care of sales, parts, and service. The only draw back I have as an independant is the ability to take any extended time off (which does suck). It would be nice to have one more tech that could handle things while I'm gone and take over when I drop out.