Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mezagog View Post
    Been a tech since 98, seen alot of changes come down and can say that I have adapted quite well, everything from Sharp being the ghetto brand to winning awards and when Konica and Mita's were just Konica and Mita and not there new elongated names. Now I am not saying I am gods gift to any company that I have ever worked for, because I'm not. I've upset customers, co-workers and even owners in the past. We all have. Been thru more classes than I care to count and still run into machines that leave me looking at the machine going . Factory trained on Sharp, Konica, Mita, Savin and picked up quite a bit on the other manufactures to include duplicators, Duplo, Rizzo and so on.

Took a break from the industry for awhile, when I left I was at 40k a year, my first year back I'll be lucky if I make 30k. Got all the other training that is required for us. A+, Network+, so why am I working for a guy who makes scrooge look generous. Why aren't I out there doing my own thing. If any indie's or even other techs who have been pondering this , read this, chime in. I own my own tools and vaccum, so whats stopping me? How hard is it to pick up machines for service. I need advice. I am in Central California and wondering what my next move should be. Do I go to another company and hope that things stay better for longer than 90 days, or should I branch out?
    I have owned a small business, and I can tell you, Write Your Own Checks! Trust no one; get your self a lawyer and accountant. Get a business plan, the Small Business Administration http://www.sba.gov/ will help with this, they have coaches and counselors etc.
    It will be allot more work; you’re the Guy everyone will want to talk to, complain to, and sue and what ever else. And if you decide to do Networking Keep a very detailed record of everything you do and have the IT head sign it before you leave the place. (my company was in litigation once because of some retarded IT admin claimed I screwed up their Network, which is funny as I was never on there network, I set the machine up with a crossover cable, come to find out the problem was 1500 miles away) And if you do Chargeable calls, also make them sign an estimate before you do any work. This will save you some hassles six months down the road. I am just a simple tech and this is what I have learned the hard way. In short keep very detailed records to cover yourself later. Here are a few web sites that might help.

http://www.precisionroller.com/

http://www.all-laser.com/

http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/hpparts.html

http://www.p2gcentral.com/

http://www.innovone.com/~tsa/dispframe.php?catred=0200

http://www.hytecrepair.com/

http://www.intravia.com/ (Manuals, I am told this is good, never used it thou?)

Raimond

Just do It!

Simple, get up and get out and start knocking on doors, and you will see how quickly word of mouth gets around about your tech support and repair, if you are good you will stay busy and get rich but not without a lot of hard work. I can tell you this it ain't going to come to you you have to get out and get it so unless you are happy making 30-40K. The worst that can happen is that you will have to go back and get your old job back. I started a prepress business 28 years ago and sold it three ago, started in my house with nothing and ended up billing over 2.7 million per year... best time to start is NOW...

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arriva1 View Post
    I work for myself and my wife stays home and does the office work. I'm not getting rich yet but i'm not starving either. Its hard to take time off, but I'm not punching a clock.
    There is plenty of tech support out there if you run into trouble. I have never been factory trained on any machine and run a good business (15 years).
    I'm also looking for a good tech that wants to go out on there own (in florida). I have a great base of 80-90 contracts and hundreds of per call and supply order customers. Lots of room for more business but theres only so many hours in the day.
    You can always contact me I am an Independent in FL

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    What's Stopping Me................

Wether you think you can, or think you can't
    Either way you are right.
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

MattPhung

Call for Service Message

My Toshiba E-Studio 550 gave me a Call for service Message and locked the copier. I can't push any buttons. How do I reset the copier so I can see what's wrong.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

One thing to consider

Something none of the previous replies has mentioned is ethics.

Do you have a non-compete clause in your current employment arrangement?

Is it ethical for you to solicit customers who you know only through your current employment? How will those customers look at your integrity as a result?

If the distributors are poking around looking for someone else to take over, maybe the owner would be interested in selling cheaper? That would eliminate many of the ethical concerns and give you an established customer base. Just so long as the old owner makes everything right with the distributors.

Personally, with the changes the industry is going through, I wouldn't want to go out on my own right now, but then, I'm not sure I even want to stay in the industry...

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    hey mezagog, three years down the road tell us what u eventually did.

Field service tech. 100+ Posts Froota's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DAG COPIERS & COMPUTERS View Post
    hey mezagog, three years down the road tell us what u eventually did.
    Yes, it would be interesting!!!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by b003ace View Post
    Something none of the previous replies has mentioned is ethics.

Do you have a non-compete clause in your current employment arrangement?

Is it ethical for you to solicit customers who you know only through your current employment? How will those customers look at your integrity as a result?

If the distributors are poking around looking for someone else to take over, maybe the owner would be interested in selling cheaper? That would eliminate many of the ethical concerns and give you an established customer base. Just so long as the old owner makes everything right with the distributors.

Personally, with the changes the industry is going through, I wouldn't want to go out on my own right now, but then, I'm not sure I even want to stay in the industry...
    An excellent point. I know for a fact that the dealership I used to work for had their salespeople sign some kind of "no compete" agreement. They would actually sue if a salesman left and took any customer information with them. No sure if it was the same for service contracts, but I would guess that it was.
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    What's Stopping Me................

According to Mezagog's profile page, he hasn't been on this site since 2 months after the post.

I guess he went on to another career.

Makes me wonder why I am still in it after all these years.
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?