Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bonus plan idea

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Bonus plan idea

Re: Bonus plan idea

Quote Originally Posted by kyrenecopy View Post
    Look at Ikon and Danka. Konica and Ricoh are on the same path.
    Ikon ran themselves into the toilet. They were literally circling the bowl and soliciting a buyer when Ricoh bought them. First they offered themselves to Canon (over 60% Canon equipment - made sense) but got laughed at once they saw how bad things were.

Ricoh bought them and for some crazy reason let them take over. Now Ricoh is losing business left and right, but can't seem to pull their head out of their a$$ and figure out why. OMG Ricoh! Can you really be that F***ing STUPID?!!
    73 DE W5SSJ

PHD in Sh!t Disturbing 250+ Posts Shadow's Avatar

Shadow1 I totally agree with you when it comes to Ricoh.
    living here on an island makes news of a company's failure travel faster than you can think.
    the company that I am associated with is independent with out a dealership, and we are picking up a fair number of Ricoh/Ikon accounts.
    their techs have their hands tied and no one wants to change it for fear of losing a bonus or their good standing in the company.

when Danka here in canuck land pulled their restructuring BS I was one of those that took the fall.
    " we are paying too much for certain technicians and we need to cut costs "
    all of their " Bonus Plan " monies went to paying for the top heavy management plans.

as I stated before; a bonus plan should be based on Customer Satisfaction, not a bean counters report.
    $hit Happens - Deal with it and move on.........................................................................Lock & Load

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Bonus plan idea

You wouldn't believe how many managers we have that don't do anything at all except find ways to make themselves look necessary and generate more BS paperwork for everyone around them... Or maybe you would.
    73 DE W5SSJ

Senior Tech 250+ Posts vincent64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow1 View Post
    Again - it depends on how you use it. You spent a lot of time tweaking it, but most companies don't do that. We have a meeting with our manager every month to go over our "numbers report." We've nicknamed it the "you suck report."

It doesn't matter how good or bad we're actually doing we're going to get beat for it - even if the manager knows there's a valid reason for a certain result... "Yes I know all the schools are out, and so is capitol hill... and I see you turned in a lot of big PM's, but why didn't you average more than 4 calls per day... and your parts budget is outrageous with all those PM kits."

Just my opinion, but if you are a service department then your technicians need to be rated on the quality of their service FROM THE CUSTOMER'S POINT OF VIEW.
    The company I used to work for, was still trying to tweak it, and get it right, now when I go on a svc call, I get thanked for comming out so promptly, and for fixing there machine, we try to get to calls that same day, and most days we do, but for our little svc dept, BEI aint worth it.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I guess I'm a little bit different but to me a bonus is not for doing your job which you should be doing as best you can anyway. A bonus should be for something extra special or out of the ordinary that you did. Maybe coming up with a money saving idea or solving a really hard problem.

If there is to be a bonus it should be split equally amongst ALL employees. The CEO's bonus, the salesperson's bonus, the tech's bonus, the accountant's bonus, and the janitor's bonus (assuming staff and not outsourced)etc., should all be the same. My view is all parts are equally necessary to make up the whole organization.

I also believe that each person should be paid well and enough to support themselves and maybe a family (assuming they work full time).

I also believe that 40 hours or 4 days a week should be the absolute maximum that a person should have to devote to work.

I don't believe in paying or having people be somewhere from 9-5 for instance just for the sake of being there. I believe in hiring people to do a task and when the task is done then go home.

I believe a person should have a minimum of a whole month off every year to enjoy life before they die, I mean retire.

I don't believe in giving so many days a year for sick time because there's never enough sick time. It's simple, if you are sick you stay home and get better, if you aren't sick then you come to work.

I believe 95% of all jobs could be done while people are at home and would be more productive by doing so.

I believe in having standards that don't focus on short term but are evaluated over long term, months to a full year. If you don't meet those standards then you need help getting better or even ultimately being let go. For instance, if a salesperson should be selling 5 copiers per month and only sells 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 then there should be no commissions on copiers 1-5 but maybe on #6 and on up. If that person is doing 3 machines every month maybe 3 is enough or maybe they need help or let go...it's relative to how the other people are doing. If others do 7 machines a month then clearly this guy isn't going to make it but I believe in mentoring and helping the person first.

I believe that as long as the employees get a fair wage and are rewarded not for work that is expected of them but for exemplary work that all the profits should go to the owner(s). Wages and bonuses are for employees; profits are for owners. Some places I worked distributed profits to employees if it was a good year. I don't believe in this. Profits should only be given to owners or reinvested back into the business. If an employee wants to share in the profit then they can put a 2nd and 3rd mortgage on their house and invest six figures into the business and potentially lose it all.

I honestly don't think there is any good way to have a bonus structure for a technician. You'll always be giving something up as a trade off. If your bonus is based on profitability to the company than service to the customer may suffer. If based on excellent service to the customer, parts supplies may go up hurting profitability. If the machine is a lemon or a bad model; and since most models these days are junk, the manufacturer's cheap assedness will hurt a tech's bonus structure, company profitability, and customer satisfaction.

Everyone thanks for this thread, as I have been asked to come up with a bonus plan for our techs. There are just so many factors involved here. I would like to use the overall efficiency %, but if you have production techs most of time that number is not real good. Response time and first time fix rate to me should be key factors in the equation. If a tech's first time fix rate is good, and he shows up at or under 4 hours.... customer satisfaction should be good as well. Also that says the tech has his inventory right because he is not rescheduling very many calls for parts and he is concerned about how old a call has been in the system. If anyone has the perfect system please let me know.....thanks guys!