Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts doug94550's Avatar

Re: Newbie asking for advice

I agree with the advice already posted here.
    I have been doing this for 25+ years.
    My employers have put in multiple thousands of dollars and years of training to get me to this point.
    You have gone through training?
    How long? 2 weeks, maybe 4?
    You have no idea what you are getting yourself in for.
    One of the problems my customers have is that they see their copier as a common household appliance.
    Number one. They haven't made copiers since 97".
    Number two. The average fully equipped 60 ppm office MFP is more complex than the average car.
    And then there is the aspect of randomness.
    That you are there makes you guilty.
    Every technician who reads this will recognize these words, "Well it wasn't doing that before you got here."
    I will promise you that shit happens.
    I blew out a $5,000 laser just because I looked at it.
    As soon as you touch their machine you are responsible for anything that goes wrong.
    This is why most technicians will never touch another piece of equipment in a customers office when their customers request it unless it is their equipment.
    It is a matter of liability.
    Motherboards blow out.
    What are you going to do when you go out there for a paper jam problem and the damn thing dies. By no fault of your own.
    We all know that feeling. But we all have a safety net. The company and the service contract.
    If you really want to learn this industry, then find an employer who will hire you and train you.
    But if you do this the way you think you are going to do this....
    Seriously dude. You are setting yourself up for a lawsuit.
    Doug

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Allow me to play devils advocate: I am a customer and I have a Lexmark C736.

"When I copy, I am getting lines. However, when I print, I get no lines, What could be the possible cause and how much to fix it? When can you be here?"

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Mobileprinter

I get the message :-)
    thanks for all the constructive comments from everyone

Quote Originally Posted by mojorolla View Post

"When I copy, I am getting lines. However, when I print, I get no lines, What could be the possible cause and how much to fix it? When can you be here?"

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Newbie asking for advice

Quote Originally Posted by mojorolla View Post

ooh ooh!! I wanna answer that! I know the answer!!
    CompTia A+ Certified
    CompTia Net+ Certified
    CompTia Server+ Certified
    CompTia Project+ Certified
    OP Scanshare Certified

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Newbie asking for advice

Quote Originally Posted by ZeusGT View Post
    ooh ooh!! I wanna answer that! I know the answer!!
    I certainly hope so. My dispatcher tries to clear these calls, but suffers the credibility problem. She's usually right, and often disregarded. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Newbie asking for advice

It takes 1 year just to learn the basics. Then you have to learn troubleshooting. Troubleshooting can be covered in a class, but it is nearly impossible to teach. Either you can do it or you can't. After classes you need actual in the field training. It's good to have a more experienced person with you for the first month and there if you get into trouble. On the plus side, you have this forum, which is a HUGE help. I wish I had it when I started as a newbie tech. I've been a tech since about 1996. I had been doing this for about 5 years and thought I was pretty good. Then, I finally figured it out and realized that I didn't know anything. I am still learning. Which is good, as new things learned keep the job from getting boring. There is a lot to this job. You probably don't realize that yet, but "magic special classes" don't really mean a thing. I'm not saying you're going to fail. After all, I succeeded. If you're planning on starting your own business right after classes, I think you should reconsider and be a tech for someone else for at least a year or two first. Learn from their mistakes, and then go on your own.

Out of curiosity, where are you taking said classes and what learning program are we talking about?
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Nexent1

There are a lot of business ideas, but the questions is does it make sense and is it sustainable. Having sold service management software for a number or years I have learned that an experienced tech can do 4 - 5 calls per day on average. If your selling proposition is faster response and you get that 5th or 6th call you really cannot live up to your market promise. To offer the service you are considering you would need to ensure you only do about 3 calls a day. To make a similar return on your service business this means you need to charge more per call. If you do some hard market research you will find there are very few people willing to pay more for the faster service. So are there enough wanting faster service at a premium price?

There is a lot of very good advice in this thread from some very experience people. They are not saying that you should not enter this business, but when you read these they are saying do not underestimate the challenges.

Good luck.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mobileprinter View Post
    I live in France and the setup seems a bit different here than in the US....
    As to spare parts, there are shops here that stock these and make money of being able to supply them immediately - so luckily do not need a big stock.
    It looks like you are going to have a tough time getting advice here that is going to help you much for your particular situation due to what appears to be a BIG difference in culture - or setup as you call it.

Just reading through the posts here on Copytechnet or other similar sites might help prepare for the technical aspect of machine repair.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I think to be successful you're going to have to offer equipment, parts, and supplies sales along with your service. You might even get your foot in the door quicker if you can get them to buy supplies from you.

My opinion is that your best bet and safest route is to find a few distributors of parts, equipment, and supplies; or find a manufacturer that will sell to you. You need to do this so that parts and supplies are readily available and you don't have to stock everything...just the basics. You'll learn how to adjust that as you go.

Another benefit from partnering with manufacturers (might be harder to do) and distributors is most have technical people on staff to help you out. It's a nice comforting feeling knowing you have another experienced individual to at least talk to on the phone and maybe even walk you through some things. Some suppliers even offer training classes as well.

Another thing I would do is get some decent second hand equipment even if it's desktop models and fix them up nice and sell or lease them. You want to try and place machines that will be earning you print or click revenue constantly. Build that base up and you can start to make money.

So really you're going to have to be your own salesman...and that to me is the biggest bitch of being your own man; going out there and getting people to buy your shit.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Newbie asking for advice

Really can't add anything to this conversation that hasn't already been said.

You need to work for somebody else for awhile.