Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mjarbar

Re: How did you get into this business?

I started out in a company that sold office stationery and furniture, I was in the furniture side doing stock control and warehousing when the company started to go belly up. In stead of laying me off I transfered (albut involuntary as I was allowed to go home at 16:00 each day after a start at 9:00) to the copier side of the business (which the owner had the sense to opperate as a seperate company as the furniture side went totally tits up not long after I left).

At the time my current boss had also more or less just taken on his roll as service manager/director so we practically rebuilt the service side of the business with me doing the stock control. I got into the actual hands on side because we had a GP405 that had to be refurbed to go back out and there was no one else available to do the work. So with screwdriver in one hand and parts catalogue in the other I stripped it down cleaned it out, and rebuilt it.

The rest is history and I have to say even though I don't like some of the customers I do still really enjoy the job.

Really for me it was the option to work on equipment that the problems where challenging and different.
    I started with the company I am at when i was still in College after graduating I went to work full time, I think i was very lucky I would go to school in the mornings till noon, then work 3 hrs. this went on for 3 months. Man I think this was a blessing!

Technician

It was 2000 I was working at costco (big mistake leaving Costco I have friends making very very good money there now) and needed a full time job, I met a guy at the gas station that was a field tech, he told me the were looking for a warehouse clerk. so I took the job they didn't have a shop tech and I cut my teeth fixing the off lease machines in the warehouse. After a moving around a bit and working for Ricoh, Canon, and several smaller dealerships I ended up here at Sharp as the help desk administrator. A+ and net+ certified.

NatSass

I got in to this job very recently and I was searching for an interesting job and I got study about this job and technical part through my friend. It is really interesting to do this job and I studied lots of things through this.

Agitating Artificer 250+ Posts CopierTechofOmens's Avatar

I was washing dishes at the time. My friend knew a guy who owned a smaller copier company. He took us on a trial basis. After sanding his deck and cleaning up his yard for 2 months he let me work on a copier. A xerox XE80 that came up with some error code. I took it all apart saw 2 wires that looked like they didn't belong. (Previous Tech switched a fan connector with an identical one) Swapped the connectors put it mostly back together. I had some extra screws. Turned it on and it worked. About a month later I was out working on the old Sharp 9800's. Mouth full of braces and face full of acne...

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CopierTechofOmens View Post
    My friend knew a guy who owned a smaller copier company. He took us on a trial basis. After sanding his deck and cleaning up his yard for 2 months he let me work on a copier.
    Who was the guy who owned the copier company, Mr. Miyagi?
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.

Agitating Artificer 250+ Posts CopierTechofOmens's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jules Winfield View Post
    Who was the guy who owned the copier company, Mr. Miyagi?
    It was his Jewish cousin...

Nestomestar

Smile Re: How did you get into this business?

By following my father's footsteps…