Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ThorTech

Tech tools and cases

Does anyone have any advice on who has the best prices on tech tool kits and supplies. I have never had to buy these before and I have to come up with the best configuration/price and vendor for outfitting our new techs. We service Kyocera and HP printers.

Am I better off buying the prepackaged kits like AMES supply has or going ala carte? What vendor might be better than AMES for this?

I did a search on the forum and couldn't find this discussion listed so apologies if I missed and thank you for any insights.

Mark

Service Manager 250+ Posts Hemlock's Avatar

Re: Tech tools and cases

Come up with an idea of what the machines require for service. Then sit down with each tech, individually, going through the Ames catalog and let them order what they're comfortable with. It'll go a long way toward making a tech feel like they have at least some input on how the job is done.

Those prepackaged kits have a couple useful tools and then handfuls of crap thrown in to make it seem like they're something of substance.

Also, encourage the techs to trade in the screwdrivers after a year or so. Tips get worn and magnets wear out and it's another small investment that goes a long way toward fostering goodwill.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

katun do a good line in engineers toolkits,and as the tools are snap-on or equivalent(blue point)the quality is guarenteed

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Tech tools and cases

Quote Originally Posted by ThorTech View Post
    Does anyone have any advice on who has the best prices on tech tool kits and supplies. ...

Am I better off buying the prepackaged kits like AMES supply has or going ala carte? What vendor might be better than AMES for this?
    Mark
    Buy yourself an empty case, then build up a kit one piece at a time. You'll find that you don't need to carry a full set of anything. You'll be able to buy better quality tools and carry a wide variety at lower cost.

Here are some suggestions:
    Magnetic Screwdriver
    12 to 15" #2 Phillips
    Stubby #2 Phillips
    #1 Phillips
    #0 Phillips
    3" flat blade screwdriver (for E-clips)
    metric allen wrenches
    needle nose pliers
    locking pliers
    wire cutters
    various spring hooks
    scissors
    magnetizer
    snap ring pliers
    VOM
    5 or 6 small bottles for your favorite cleaners and lubricants
    drum blade dusting powder
    plastic box for misc clips, screws, shims, bushings, etc.

Add or remove as you see the need. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 250+ Posts Hemlock's Avatar

Locking hemostats also.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Tech tools and cases

If they are printer techs, you will probably need a smaller kit.

We sell kits, but sometimes you get tools you don't need and it is missing tools you do need. I would carry what I've listed below. It should all fit in the case which is only 13"x10"x2". A small lightweight kit that carries everything you need. To make it a copier kit, you would need to add a bulls eye level, soldering iron, solder, de-solder, aligner tool, brass brush, file, captive spring hook, open end wrenches, ball pien hammer, punches, PM cloths (45" x 35"), and a channel lock plier. I would probably upgrade the multimeter and get a larger toolbag too. You don't really use these items that much in printer repair (Although I do occasionally use the hammer, but that's more for in shop.) Bolded items are the must haves.

1) HP/TOOLKIT

(Has dual tipped locking blades. In this one little kit, you get all commonly used the Torx, Hex, & Nutdrivers you will need plus a #1 and #2 - 6" Phillips driver. Saves space, has it's own little carrying case, and if you have 1 blade installed you are carrying 2 tools. The drive lock system enables you to adjust the height of the blade from 3" to 6" so I don't bother carrying a stubby. It is optional, but you will have to get the Torx, Hex, and nutdrivers in separate kits. The 5.5 nutdriver is probably the most you'll need, but if you work on inkjets you will need Torx, and if you work on dot matrix you may need some Hex.)

-Contains
    1. Tool Pouch
    2. Blade, PH1 & PH2, 281 Drive Lock (Phillips #1 and #2)
    3. Blade, Torx, T6H & T8H, 281 Drive Lock
    4. Blade, Torx, T7H & T9H, 281 Drive Lock
    5. Double Ended Security Blade Locking Handle - T10H-15 x 15
    6. Double Ended Security Blade Locking Handle - T20H-25 x 15
    7. Double Ended Security Blade Locking Handle - T30-T40
    8. Blade, Hex, 2.0 x 2.5, 281 Drive Lock
    9. SYS 6 EXT 140mm
    10. Handle, Drive Lock, VI
    11. Blade, Hex, 3.0 x 4.0, 281 Drive Lock
    12. Blade, Nutdriver, 10mm x 150, 281 Drive Lock
    13. Blade, Nutdriver, 5.5mm x150, 281 Drive Lock
    14. Blade, Nutdriver, 7.0mm x 150, 281 Drive Lock
    15. Blade, Nutdriver, 8.0mm x 150, 281 Drive Lock

1) WRSD184 - Flat Blade Screwdriver, 1/8" - 4" Blade
    2) WRSD103 - Screwdriver, Phillips #1 - 3" Blade
    3) WRSD146 - Screwdriver, Slotted 1/4" - 6" Blade
    4) M37938 - Screwdriver, 4 in 1 - 11" Blade (I don't use this as much as the HP kit screwdrivers above, but its 2 slotted/2 phillips in one with the bits in the handle. Which is great to minimize weight and save space in your bag)
    5) XP-12S - Screwdriver, Phillips #0
    5) DNC-65 - Nutdriver, Magnetic, 5.5mm (13" long and perfect for Canon and HP Nut Screws. I use this everyday.)
    6) PZ-55 - Gas Plier (Nothing worse than not being able to remove a stripped screw.)
    7) G807SX - Ratcheting 1/4" Driver (Better than a stubby and has phillips and flat driver head)
    8) UT46-4KCS - Plier, Diagonal Cut, 4"
    9) UT654-6CS - Plier, Longnose, 6" Side Cut w/spring

10) TSA760 - Wire Stripper
    11) TSA545 - Brush, Dusting, Oval
    12) KH1140 - Springhook, IBM style, Push/Pull
    13) AV12-013 - Hemostats/Forcep - Straight 6"

14) KN4600-A0 - Plier, Retaining Ring - Straight (I use flat screwdriver as these never work well)
    15) CR1037-8C - Plier, Duckbill
    16) G360 - Magnetizer/Demagnetizer
    17) MAGM2A016 - Mini-Mag AA Flashlight
    18) G305ME - Ruler, Flex 6", MM-STD

19) XHT-412 - Tweezer (Optional - I use Hemostats more)
    20) ULA-2T - Round Mirror, Telescopic (Optional - I don't use it much)
    21) PLA3500 - Mini Divided Container for screws, springs, clips. (Wal-Mart in Tackle box area may have it cheaper)
    22) TSA23 - Feeler Gauges, 3" (for dot matrix printers and inkjets.)
    23) EX310 - Multimeter
    24) AG660ZT - Compact Black Cordura Case

Cleaners/Lubricants

1) TF21010 - Tri-Flow, 2 oz Squeeze bottle
    2) BRIL-8 - Brillianize, 8 oz Bottle
    3) BP8 - 8 oz Bottle w/flip top (x 3)
    (one for alcohol, PK, and one for cover cleaner)
    4) PK2116 - 16oz can Inx Plastics Klean (PK) (works pretty good on rollers and will remove label glue)
    5) C8007-40 - Toner Cloths
    6) CD15300-10 - Cleaning Rags
    7) CD17051 - Rubber Gloves, Large

Note: As a cover cleaner I buy Industrial Strength 409 from Home Depot and dilute in the 8oz bottle with water. (cheap and good).

Vacuum/Cart

1) VACOMEGAS - Atrix Vacuum
    2) VAC31700 - .3 Micron Filter

3) VP511 - Vacuum Case (Expensive, but will enable you to carry tools and cleaning supplies, rather than fill your tool back with it)
    4) 7800106 Folding Cart 110lb capacity (Folds flat)

Photos:
    Whia Drive-Loc - The HP kit is twice as long. Note the dimples on the blades. This locks the blades in (you have to push the ring on the handle down to remove the blades) and allows you to change the height of the blade in small increments. If you're working with a #2 phillips and need the #1, simply push down the ring, remove the blade, flip the #1 end up, push the ring down and insert the #1. No need to go back to your bag. If you are working with 6" of blade and need a shorter driver, push the ring down, slide the blade down to the size you need and release the ring, locking the blade in place.Whia Drive Loc.jpg

Tool Case - 13"x10"x2" Black Cordura Case with leather grip handle. 2 Tool Pallets, 29 sewn tool pockets and meter pouch, 2 Exterior pockets on one side (for cleaning supplies), and 1 document pouch on the other side.AG2X1B.jpg

Gas Plier - Removes stripped bolts and screws.
    pz-55.jpg

5.5mm Nutdriver - 13" long! The screws that Canon and HP (sometimes) uses on their machines. Slender blade for those hard to reach areas. I use this every day.
    DNC-55-65-2L.jpg

4 in 1 Driver - 11" - 4 screwdrivers in 1 and you won't lose the bits because they're stored in the handle.
    M37938.jpg

Ratcheting Driver 1/4" - Better than a stubby to get to those hard to reach screws. If I can't get it with the HP kit driver, I can with this.
    G807SX.jpg

90% of the time they're just going to grab the 5.5 nut driver, a small flat screwdriver, the 4 in 1 driver, the duckbills, a springhook and the HP/TOOLKIT when they work on a machine anyway. The rest of the stuff is for the other 10% of the time.
    Last edited by prntrfxr; 06-20-2012 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Bolded items
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Adeptus Mechanicus Magos 500+ Posts
    Tech tools and cases

I would say prntrfxr's case was the blue print to go for, the only thing I have that is a little different is a straightened giant wavy paperclip that is usefull to poke and lever the odd item, and a 1/2inch paint brush usefull for dusting off hard to reach areas when I have the vacume out.

The ratcheting driver (I also have an extension bar) is worth it's weight in gold and I find it better to use than a stubby driver.
    The impossible is easy - miracles take a little longer
    So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Tech tools and cases

I showed the sales manager the kit above. He said the reason he doesn't set up that kit is it cost a bit more than the setups he has. I say that if you buy really good quality tools and get what you really need, you don't waste money and they'll last you a long time. So to me, it's worth it. I just don't like carrying around 4 or 5 of each type of screwdriver. It makes your kit heavy and you end up having to lug around Blackcat's luggage. You end up paying for tools you never use and just collect dust. It's bad on the back, more to carry (like you don't already have enough), and about the only thing it is good for is using it as a stool.

I was given a full size toolkit when I became a printer tech and took out the long #2 phillips, a flat head screwdriver, a pair of narrow ended duckbills, a hemostat and a push/pull spring hook. Put it in one of those wallet cases and left the big kit in the car.

When I became a service manager, I bought my techs each a kit and made an inventory of each one. My rule was if you lose a tool you have to buy the replacement. They had to turn in the tools if they left, but I made a gift of it to any techs staying more than 5 years. Most of the tools were too filthy to pass on to a newbie. I don't trust any tech with spotlessly clean tools, but they should be well taken care of. If the tools are rusted, bent, damaged or caked in anything but toner I examine their service calls very carefully. My tools have some toner in the handles and some scratches, but the working ends are clean, sharp, and if need be oiled. If any get damaged they are either repaired (if possible) or replaced.

I have a tool kit at home and it is very piecemeal. It is partially the tools I started out with and it has some of the newer good stuff, so it doesn't look pretty, but it meets the function intended. The tools I have at work, the company provides and they are very good. I don't like letting people borrow my tools. I let my boss borrow my #2 phillips drive-lock to remove a screw in his car (something to do with the seatbelt). He couldn't get the screw out and took a pair of channel locks to the driver handle to loosen it. I now have plier bite marks in my handle and the driver does not feel good in my hand anymore. I can't tell you how angry I feel about it, but I let him use it so I have no one to blame but me. I guarantee you it will never happen again, not even if he's on his knees begging with his lip hanging out. Don't ever let someone borrow your tools!

If I have to do a quick repair, it is really great to be able to take 1 driver out and have 4 with me if I need them. The 5.5mm is a must if you work on Canon and helpful if you work on the older HP's like 5SI or 8100's. I use the gas pliers to remove the duplex rollers on 4600 transfer belts, bushings that are locked onto roller shafts (with TriFlow to help of course), and to remove screws that won't come out. The HP drive-lock kit is hands down the best thing for HP printers. If you can't find what you need in there, you don't need it. There is an extension that comes with it. It would enable you to use screwdriver bits. So you could substitute that for the 4 in 1 driver in a pinch, but I like that the bits fit in the cap, so there's no need to carry an extra bit kit or losing bits you've taken out of it.

The more I think about that driver... I'm replacing the handle and making a gift of it to him (you can replace individual components out of that kit)! Oh, and while I think about it, the photo of that kit is off the vendor website. The one I have is twice as long and folds in 3rds. It holds all of the blades and the handle I listed in my description. The gas plier may have a different color handle (mine is red). About the only thing I would add to improve the toolkit is add a electricians pocket knife and a small ball pien hammer, but you'll hardly use it. The feeler gauges I hardly use anymore. If you're working on IBM or Epson DFX dot matrix, you will need them everyday, but you will not need them for laser printers and rarely on inkjets.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Tech tools and cases

You could just provide a list of minimum required tools to potential new hires and tell them it is their responsibility to purchase their own tools and box at their own expense and the company does not reimburse for tool purchases. Except for consumables many service organizations are going this route these days.

The only negative is you run the risk of having some talent pass you by. The positive.....most techs that have the eight and hit the gate mentality keep on going as well.

ThorTech

Thanks for the information you all provided, much appreciated.

Mark