Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Are drums and heat rollers alluminum?

Are these parts worth money at "we pay for beer cans" type places?

Re: Are drums and heat rollers alluminum?

Yes, although not much.

A) Most heat rollers are paper thin, with some notable exceptions.
    B) The Teflon / OPC / Plastic hubs on heat rollers and drums mean they are considered "dirty" scrap. That makes their value per pound less than half what is paid for cans or "clean" waste. (oddly enough, things like nasty aluminum engine heads and stinky empty beer cans are considered clean - they don't have much paint or anything other than the metal content.)
    C) The hassle you might get, at least in the U.S. might not be worth it. So much metal has been stolen for the scrap value (especially copper from A/C units) that recyclers are having to put people through the 3rd degree to make sure you have a legitimate claim to the scrap.
    73 DE W5SSJ

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

shadow is right, of course. About twice I year I turn in $75.00 worth of aluminum. It's probably not worth the time I send collecting and handling it. At it's highest aluminum is worth 40 cents a pound. The steel is only worth 1 cent a pound, so you can spend more in gas driving it to the recycling center, than what you collect. Still, in the end I'd rather see it recycled.

For the most part drums and heat rollers are aluminum, but for example some of the old Katun Canon fuser rollers were ceramic, and the Kyocera FalconI and FalconII heat rollers are steel. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Katun...grrrrrr

I was going to cash in cardboard once and found out it was worth like a buck a ton...

Quote Originally Posted by kingpd@businessprints.net View Post
    Katun...grrrrrr

I was going to cash in cardboard once and found out it was worth like a buck a ton...
    I had a customer that was a massive print shop. They only had a few production copiers, but over 100,000 sq feet of roll fed presses and the like. They had an enormous central vacuum system that sucked up all the trimmings, punches, cutouts, and other scraps. It would automatically bale it and about once a week they'd load the bales on a big semi trailer and off to the recycler. They said the system didn't take long to pay for itself, and it's been cash in their pocket ever since.

It's quite a sight.

Maybe scrap paper isn't worth much, but when you have industrial amounts it adds up.
    73 DE W5SSJ

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I know what you're saying. Actually, some recyclers will pay for the "recycling system" so the print shop doesn't have to and take it out of their future paper recycling profits.

What they're recycling is office grade or better papers which get a much higher price per ton than cardboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow1 View Post
    I had a customer that was a massive print shop. They only had a few production copiers, but over 100,000 sq feet of roll fed presses and the like. They had an enormous central vacuum system that sucked up all the trimmings, punches, cutouts, and other scraps. It would automatically bale it and about once a week they'd load the bales on a big semi trailer and off to the recycler. They said the system didn't take long to pay for itself, and it's been cash in their pocket ever since.

It's quite a sight.

Maybe scrap paper isn't worth much, but when you have industrial amounts it adds up.

We have a couple of boxes in the shop that we put aluminum, steel and stainless in. We have a magnet out of a hard drive stuck to a work bench to test for being aluminum. We then put all the scrap from any old drive units fuser frames etc in. We also collect the non magnetic stainless from the fuser cleaner rollers. The stainless pays the best but not a lot of volume. The aluminum pays more than steel but less than cans. We take it to the scrap yard about two or three times a year. Divide it up among the techs and yields 20 to 40 dollars per tech.