Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Electrical setup at your shop

I was just wondering how you guys have your electrical wiring setup in your individual shops.

Are you running dedicated breakers and lines to each machine or are you running a larger breaker with a bigger wire in a loop to multiple outlets? Do you use one big breaker box or utilize sub breaker boxes? How many amps you have going to your facility?

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Re: Electrical setup at your shop

I couldn't tell you how many amps total, but we have three dedicated 20 amp breakers for building and testing of machines. We also have two fax lines for testing the fax kits before they leave the building. We have one breaker box with 12 to 16 20 amp breakers.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Are you kidding? For the first few months we were blowing breakers like crazy. You can't turn on six 15A copiers on the same circuit during a demo, and expect the breakers to hold. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Realistically, I want about 6 independent outlets to have a maximum of 6 pieces of equipment on at once...I don't think I'll ever need more than that or even close to that at once, because I can always move a few things around.

I do most of my own wiring but I'm not sure if I should run 6 separate lines to 6 separate outlets with each outlet on a 20 amp breaker for 120 amps...which the real draw power will most likely never top 100 amps anyway because they're 15 amp devices and won't all be running at once...

...or...

...should I get one heavier gauge wire (not sure which gauge will be necessary) and run one wire from the breaker box using a 100 amp breaker and run the wire to the first outlet, then the second, and so on so that all six outlets are in the series but on the single breaker?

I think either way will work in theory but the 100 amp way should save breaker box space for the future but the wire is probably really thick and expensive for 100 amps.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

..or...

...should I get one heavier gauge wire (not sure which gauge will be necessary) and run one wire from the breaker box using a 100 amp breaker and run the wire to the first outlet, then the second, and so on so that all six outlets are in the series but on the single breaker?

I think either way will work in theory but the 100 amp way should save breaker box space for the future but the wire is probably really thick and expensive for 100 amps.

I hope you are joking about this.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

..or...

Quote Originally Posted by irtek View Post
    +1. This is against NEC code. In a nut shell, the wiring and outlets must match the capacity of the breaker.

You may run your 100 amp wire to a centrally located sub panel, thus your single runs to your outlets will be shorter. With a sub panel you should defiantly get an electrician to do the work, or at least supervise. ELECTRICITY KILLS!

Quote Originally Posted by kingpd@businessprints.net View Post
    Realistically, I want about 6 independent outlets to have a maximum of 6 pieces of equipment on at once...I don't think I'll ever need more than that or even close to that at once, because I can always move a few things around.

I do most of my own wiring but I'm not sure if I should run 6 separate lines to 6 separate outlets with each outlet on a 20 amp breaker for 120 amps...which the real draw power will most likely never top 100 amps anyway because they're 15 amp devices and won't all be running at once...

...or...

If you have any actual input, I'd recommend having five 20A 120V circuits with only one box per circuit, one 20A 120V circuit, and one 20A 220V circuit. If you plan to have production level machines you'll also need one 30A 220V circuit. It doesn't really matter where the circuit box is. If it's wired correctly you won't be blowing breakers.

In real life, management will discover the cost of what you'd like to do, then totally ignore your recommendations. It will end up wired like your bedroom with 5 outlet boxes strung onto each of two circuits. Then when the salesman walks around flipping on equipment you'll get to reset the breakers. And when you need to set up a production machine, you'll say: "Can't do it. No power. Remember what we talked about ... " =^..^=

of course I was just joking...

Quote Originally Posted by irtek View Post

What do you mean by one box per circuit? One copier per circuit?

I have to watch how many empty slots are left in the main breaker box because we're running out of room, although some of them could be consolidated, and some of the dedicated breakers removed because there's rooms in the building that don't need all the extra amps anymore.

Another complication is that the building used to have 4 breaker boxes, but years ago an electrician consolidated them down to one big breaker box...but there's still an additional sub-panel that runs from the new main box. The sub box has only about 60 amps, so I was thinking of running a bigger line, like the 100 amp line and putting in a new sub panel and running to the demo room and service room outlets...

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    If you have any actual input, I'd recommend having five 20A 120V circuits with only one box per circuit, one 20A 120V circuit, and one 20A 220V circuit. If you plan to have production level machines you'll also need one 30A 220V circuit. It doesn't really matter where the circuit box is. If it's wired correctly you won't be blowing breakers.

In real life, management will discover the cost of what you'd like to do, then totally ignore your recommendations. It will end up wired like your bedroom with 5 outlet boxes strung onto each of two circuits. Then when the salesman walks around flipping on equipment you'll get to reset the breakers. And when you need to set up a production machine, you'll say: "Can't do it. No power. Remember what we talked about ... " =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by kingpd@businessprints.net View Post
    What do you mean by one box per circuit? One copier per circuit?

I have to watch how many empty slots are left in the main breaker box because we're running out of room, although some of them could be consolidated, and some of the dedicated breakers removed because there's rooms in the building that don't need all the extra amps anymore.

Another complication is that the building used to have 4 breaker boxes, but years ago an electrician consolidated them down to one big breaker box...but there's still an additional sub-panel that runs from the new main box. The sub box has only about 60 amps, so I was thinking of running a bigger line, like the 100 amp line and putting in a new sub panel and running to the demo room and service room outlets...
    Yes. Only one copier per circuit. Two is an overload. A typical 30 to 50 cpm copier draws 12 to 14A. And I like the idea of re-purposing the sub-panel. It will give you lots of room for breakers. =^..^=