Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Copier College???

I found this interesting video. I can't say I've ever really run across a school for office equipment repair.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Copier College???

Re: Copier College???

A friend of mine taught classes at a community college on generic copier repair. I'm not sure how you'd teach a class that wasn't manufacturer specific or even engine specific. It takes a couple years in the field before a greenie is competent to handle most situations. How much can you learn in a single semester? You really need some sort of internship to properly train a tech. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts
    Copier College???

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    A friend of mine taught classes at a community college on generic copier repair. I'm not sure how you'd teach a class that wasn't manufacturer specific or even engine specific. It takes a couple years in the field before a greenie is competent to handle most situations. How much can you learn in a single semester? You really need some sort of internship to properly train a tech. =^..^=
    Even still, knowing the theory of operation for mono and dual component engines means that you know how all copiers / printers work regardless of manufacturer. Fixing the devices is a different scenario, but everyone here should at least know how the image is written to the drum and the transfer processes.
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

Sometimes I find myself temporarily forgetting some of the theory. I think because you get used to following the book or just replacing a unit or something instead of getting down and dirty...

...which is interesting because I knew most of the theory before I ever even touched a machine...it was quite the experience trying to go from a 2d flat diagram to the 3d world...

Quote Originally Posted by TheOwl View Post
    Even still, knowing the theory of operation for mono and dual component engines means that you know how all copiers / printers work regardless of manufacturer. Fixing the devices is a different scenario, but everyone here should at least know how the image is written to the drum and the transfer processes.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Sounds like nothing more than what the PDI+ certification offers with a little bit of A+ thrown in.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

as most experienced techs will have learnt, it is not just the product knowledge that is needed , but also the essential understanding of how to correct things that go unexpectedly wrong, whether it be the product, customer relations or just yourself having a crap day, even being disturbed a phone cll or text can cause you to lose your way.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts vincent64's Avatar

I think the idea is OK, it can teach green horns the basics, like this is a feed section, this is how it works, and how you service it, ect, what the clutches do, what the double feed prevent roller does, oh yes, and the 1-way bearing in the feed sections.
    I find some techs still miss that one thing.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Copier College... Where the grades don't count and the training will have nothing to do with problems in the field.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Trusted Tech 250+ Posts Athlontini's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Sounds like nothing more than what the PDI+ certification offers with a little bit of A+ thrown in.
    Would anybody recommend pursuing the PDI+ after they've already been sent to training by their dealer? I've been kicking the idea around in my head as a means of showing my mettle should I have to look for another job, but it's not as though I'm clueless on anything copy process-related.

Honestly the video is very interesting an educative.