Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Hold calls

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Hold calls

Hold calls

For some reason my company puts a much greater emphasis on reducing hold calls (you know what i mean) even more so than call-backs.

I don't get it, other than learning a lesson on what should be in your car stock, Hold Calls are not a big deal to me.

My company would rather keep a call open for 2 hours running back for a part or meeting someone for a part.

The way I see it, if I hold the call, I can get something else done en route to the shop. Usually the customer understands we can't carry everything.

P.S. we use BEI

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Hold calls

Re: Hold calls

I think I understand where you're coming from, for a couple reasons:

-As a one man service department, I don't have a lot of sources of inspiration (other than you all). After I've tried out everything that I can think of, I just need to do something else, and cogitate for a while. Even when I've moved on to another task there's still a small part, sometimes a very small part of my mind still worrying away at the first problem. I've become pretty good at identifying when I'm not moving forward: time for a break.

-I don't like to spend a lot of time poring over manuals in front of the customer. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with using manuals. It's a great source of inspiration, but customers often see it as a weakness, or some sign of desperation. So ... sometimes it is desperation, so I try to look desperate in the car or office.

-and dare I say, the hotline: Who has 1 1/2 hours to spare, standing around with the cell stuck to your face? After the first hour, it's really hard to look like you're doing something useful. Especially when you know its mostly futile anyway.

Sure it's great to fix every machine the first time. But sometimes the process of solving problems just does not lend itself to straight continuous brute force. Some obstacles are better stepped around rather than battered straight through. Is that enough reasons? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Hold calls

My company also uses BEI.
    to me, it seems like the best way to excel, is to finish each call as you get them. HP calls bring the averages down.

Does any one else have the same impression?

I agree with blackcat, some times after a while your just circling around and not making progress. Sometimes a breather is good. My manager want to limit incompletes as much as possible. It is always a game of one foot on the left of the line and the other foot on the right side.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Hold calls

I agree with BC too, spinning your wheels and looking like a clown in front of customers is not productive.

I have no big issue with BEI, but I don't understand how the "First Call Efficiency" ratio is dragged down so much by hold calls. Call backs I understand, but shit, having to return with a part or information shouldn't reflect so negatively.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts vincent64's Avatar

I also also agree with the Blackcat, dont let the custumer see you sweat, or spend too much time with tech support, few min. on the computer looking up codes is ok....you cant know them all, just too many of them, and as far as the BEI goes, I dont miss it a bit, used to be on it at last place I worked, now its totaly different, just 2 of us techs, owner and office manager, it's taken me a while to get use to it, but I got to say its a lot better working enviroment, and something I never thought I'd say in the last several years at the old place, I look forward to going to work now.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

the managers are now looking closer at hold calls. and i seem to think that it can be counter productive to keep running to the shop or meet someone else for the drum, etc that you need unless you have a down machine, it's their only one,etc. it is a manner of good carstock, but there is always the odd part that breaks, etc. plus, i have a limit. if i can't fix it or have a good plan in an hour, i call a buddy or tech support. after 90 minutes it's time to move on and clear the head.