Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Fuel Reimbursement

Fuel Reimbursement

Does your company write a separate check for mileage?

Mine doesn't, and it really plays a psychological trick on my finances. Like all of you, my family has a lot of bills and we manage our paychecks accordingly. Since gas isn't separate, we always end up a little behind because of hundreds of dollars a month vanish in the tank.

A separate check would be easier to deposit in a "gas only" credit card, or even cash in the glove box.

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Re: Fuel Reimbursement

When I was a contractor for Xerox, I got a separate check. It was mileage based so it varied from week to week.
    We get a lump sum per month and a territory. If you are a good tech, it works out fine. If you are sloppy and have a lot of call backs, you can short yourself.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Fuel Reimbursement

That's a negative.

That is, a negative amount on my paycheck for my commuting with the company car. To the tune of $400 per month. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

It saves your employer a bunch of money in administrative costs to combine your pay an mileage reimbursement into one check.

With that in mind, I don't think you should ever expect that to change. If anything, more companies are going that way.

They leave it up to you to manage your pay versus mileage. I know it sounds simple and can sometimes be anything but, but "That's the way it is", as the late great Walter Cronkite used to say.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

my paystub shows the mileage reimbursement separate from pay. it is non-taxable.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Get a separate checking account for your car, as soon as you get paid transfer your mileage money into it, pay your car expense with a debit card
    from the mileage checking account. Do this and you will find out if you are losing money on what they pay you.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2ALTA View Post

Mine doesn't, and it really plays a psychological trick on my finances. Like all of you, my family has a lot of bills and we manage our paychecks accordingly. Since gas isn't separate, we always end up a little behind because of hundreds of dollars a month vanish in the tank.

A separate check would be easier to deposit in a "gas only" credit card, or even cash in the glove box.

General Troublemaker 250+ Posts ddude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JR2ALTA View Post

If your company does not separate your expenses (REIMBURSEMENT) from your pay (INCOME), then you may be faced with a rather bothersome IRS audit, IF you are in the USA-

If you are located outside of our Garden of Eden (heheheheheehe), you may have to refer to your own tax laws-
    2000 mockingbirds = 2 kilomockingbirds

Senior Tech 250+ Posts Masterchief's Avatar

That dreaded mileage allowance.

Every month i would have to do a monthly chart of Mon - Fri, and daily totals. I would have to go a little bit over some months and low on others and all for the tax man.

I always felt i was being short changed by the company any way, I recieved 650 euros a month.

If you drive your own personal car do you

• Calculate the daily miles
    • Measure the MPG
    • Record all repairs and cost
    • Work out the wear and tear/cost per mile

I could easily do 1200 KM a month and get 650 euros regardless, where my SM could do the same and get 1500 euros. i ran my car into the ground and when i ask for more money i got its a recession answer so i asked for a van.

I could tell you a story about the van they gave me if you ever want to know just ask and ill do a thread

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I gave my techs $250 per month plus a C.C. for gas. I bumped it to $300 per month . That was ten years ago. They were happy with it. They didn't have car payments. The big companies I worked for paid mileage. It is about 50 cents a mile now. You have to keep a log for every call done and miles to and from call .

I'm on my own now and really don't know what is going on with car allowance but that is how I did it.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts Masterchief's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MR Bill View Post
    I gave my techs $250 per month plus a C.C. for gas. I bumped it to $300 per month . That was ten years ago. They were happy with it. They didn't have car payments. The big companies I worked for paid mileage. It is about 50 cents a mile now. You have to keep a log for every call done and miles to and from call .

I'm on my own now and really don't know what is going on with car allowance but that is how I did it.
    I would be over the moon with 50cent per mile, if i done 500 miles per month that 2500, gosh i could nearly buy my own house after 5 years