153. You may not vote on this poll
  • Company Provided

93 60.78%
  • Personal with compensation

60 39.22%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Talking

I have a 2003 Toyota Tacoma, comes with credit card for gas, an account at one shop for oil and inspections, an account at another for brakes, and I get blank checks for everything else. I may get a new one to go with the new five year contract with the army.

Technician

Angry

My company pays 35 cents a mile to drive your own car, but a company vechicle will set you back $180 a month. To make matters worse you now have to drive 15,000 miles a year to qualify which is up from 12,500 miles the last fiscal year. Needless to say half of us now cannot get a company vechicle. The big suck ass is gas here in Indianapolis just went up today to $3.75 a gallon. After doing my 2007 it cost me $1200 out of my own pocket for the glory of working at my company. I didn't have enough deductions to get back the unreimburst part. Upper management says they are looking into raising the reimbursment amount but I'm sure they are in no hurry, I'm sure they done want to hurt there own commissions. May be time to call in sick with the out of gas blues!

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    Guess I got it pretty lucky, i'll try not to complain about some of the crazy and or dumbass things my shop will ask me to do today.

Vacuum Cleaning Expert 1,000+ Posts iMind's Avatar
    My company personal car Clio for two people you can call it a van if you like, 40 Km free for travelling to work and back. €130 of diesel per month payed by credit card, if you don´t waste the €130 per month they refund you for not spending the amount, thats great, the worst part is your salary free of tax you will take home the sum of €1050 to drag you thru the month, hehehe that SUCKs...

the refund is made at the end of the year, and sometime you can make an extra €47 hehehehe Diesel liter is € 1,43
    We can all Win, but at the end we all loose. Save the greyhound

Trusted tech 50+ Posts minolta35's Avatar
    Company car...7/24 and no extras, always full , no payment, no limited km...But it is van...Renault Kangoo, Peugeot Partner, Fiat Doblo of course diesel angine...

Quote Originally Posted by copyxpress View Post
    i drive my own, car, and get no kind of reimbursement. Am i getting shafted? How do i bring this to the owners attention without loosing my job?
    that really sucks , i bet the boss drives a state of the art 4x4
    or a merc or something .

copierman 250+ Posts
    Company or Personal Vehicles

We get the choice of personal cars or company cars, me and another collegue stayed with company cars when the boss gave us a chance to pick our own cars. Basically its hassle free motoring in a car i otherwise would struggle to afford (20k) and with the cost fuel going up, the comany fuel card comes in handy also. The only downside is that i get a hefty taxation on the wages, but i know where i am each month with regards to what i have to spend on myself, bills etc.
    Networking skills are advantageous but use of a 3m vacuum cleaner is essential

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Company or Personal Vehicles

A little known fact about using your own vehicle and getting compensated for it is if you don't get the official government rate per mile, then you can take the difference of what you do get and subtract if from the gov't rate and the difference can be deducted from your taxes, I'm pretty sure you have to itemize to do this. Its always best to check with an accountant.
    The other thing is, no matter how much you get in compensation, its not enough for the wear and tear you put on your own vehicle.

HtH
    Paul@justmanuals.com

School District Tech 500+ Posts schooltech's Avatar
    I've only had one company vehicle in the 5 total places I've worked at over the years. It was a 92 Volvo 240 station wagon. Decent gas mileage (not great) but it would hold a ton of parts, etc. We all had Volvo's. We just took it in for service and just drove it in to get gas. I changed the oil at my cost in my garage because I used it for school and such. But, we never HAD to pay anything for them, even at the end of the year for tax declarations.

Now I have a personal vehicle, but it's a great commuter. 95 Nissan Altima. It's 1 of 3 of my personal vehicles, so I've dedicated it strictly for work. I get a fixed rate per month that just went up, whether I drive anywhere or not. Over the summer I'm hardly going anywhere. When school starts up, I will fill it up about once per week, and I do all of my own maintenance. It's paid for and insurance is cheap. I turn in nothing and account to no one for what/where I go.
    Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, Comptia A+, Comptia Network+

DarthAlbin
    I'm very fortunate.

My employer provides car (with personal use), tools/training, newer laptop, and BlackBerry.