Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts kingarthur's Avatar

Re: Seem to be trouble shooting IT work for free.

it's in our contracts that network faults are billable, the customer gets 2 hrs network help on install, any call that is logged, that could be a network fault, we phone & advise it could be chargeable if it is discovered that the fault isn't on their MFP, on arrival at site, we get the customer to sign a consent form, so that they are aware of our callout charge if we have to bill. We do however offer telephone support to contract customers. On every install, once we have finished setting up the MFP, we print off the customers network settings, the amount of times we have gone to site & discovered that a new server or other work has been carried out & the IP etc has been changed, it's also handy if you ever have to install a replacement m/c
    Tip for the day; Treat every problem as your dog would.....If you cant eat it or f*ck it....then p*ss on it & walk away...

Technician

I was doing alot of free IT work too....im one of those techs that have N+, A+, i do IT work after hours.
    i found the clients dont value FREE. it does not bring you anymore loyalty from the client when they are ready for a new machine either.

so i charge now..even if it takes me 10 minutes. I warn the client that this is chargable do you want me to fix it.

and the 10 minutes that the clients sees is not 10 minutes..they dont see me at home building and learning about networks and servers and routers etc....

thats my rant

cheers all

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

We ended up creating another business out of it, we include the initial set up for all functions. When they call for support we refer them to out I.T. dept if they don't have one, and suggest block time for network support. They of course dont purchase it until the "computer guy" knocks it off the network so its useless as a MFP and they get a 300.00 bill. Its amazing what people think is included in a copier purchase these days.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

My thought moving forward is to have 60-day network connectivity coverage on the sales order. At 60-days a letter goes out with a contract and invoice for an annual IT Professional Services contract based on the size of the network. The letter will make it absolutely clear that from that moment forward anything IT is chargeable if they do not take the contract and pay the invoice.

ewang

We usually just send out a networking bill and deal with it if they call in to complain. Usually 8 out of 10 will pay without calling.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Seem to be trouble shooting IT work for free.

we began to get swamped with cannot print, cannot scan to email, cannot scan to folder etc etc.IT was working out at 2-3 hrs per IT call .all for nothing

we now talk to them over the phone and if it needs a call we tell them it is $160 per hour and we email or fax them an agreement that they have to sign before we go out.it has cut the number of IT calls and we get paid for any we go out to.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

All of my sales orders state clearly that installation only includes connection to cat 5 wall port. Everything beyond that is the customers responsibility. I'm always careful to spell this out at the time of sale and the customer always says something like that makes sense.

If their IT people can't do it I'm happy to at an hourly rate.

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts

We are in the same boat, but I can understand the customers point of view, the MFP wont scan, must be a problem with the copier...What's the solution? At least 2 fronts, the techs must be competent enough to diagnose and rule out a problem with the MFP (you changed something on your network that caused the MFP to stop printing/scanning is not an MFP problem), and the sales people must be up front and honest with their customers as to what is considered "maintenance". Just because it's a "big" account and you don't want to ruffle any feathers is not my problem. We even offer unlimited phone support for a low per copier/month charge. I ask the sales person, do they have a support contract and the usual answer is "no, we didn't want to lose the bid over the 10 bucks per month". Once I can print/scan back to my laptop with the MFP off the network it becomes billable. One of my favorites is "can't scan to email" and they are using some 3rd party hosted mail system...sure I can help, but the charge meter starts now....Emujo
    If you don't see your question answered in the forum, please don't think it's OK to PM me for a personal reply...I do not give out firmware and/or manuals.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Acme View Post
    We ended up creating another business out of it, we include the initial set up for all functions. When they call for support we refer them to out I.T. dept if they don't have one, and suggest block time for network support. They of course dont purchase it until the "computer guy" knocks it off the network so its useless as a MFP and they get a 300.00 bill. Its amazing what people think is included in a copier purchase these days.
    I'm considering the same thing. Adding an IT services to my hardware business. My guys know this stuff and can make $ at it. My question: What are the liabilities? Do you need more insurance? Waivers signed?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar

I can't believe all the belly achin' I'm hearing. A little extra IT work isn't a big deal. In fact, I usually do a lot more than just copier and IT work for my customers. For example, I keep coffee filters and coffee in my trunk just in case the customer's coffee maker isn't working or they're too busy to brew some. I also keep pipe wrenches and a plunger handy in case someone clogs up the toilet while I'm there. Baby wipes are also in my tool bag for those extra special customers who are too busy or feel it's beneath them to wipe their own ass. This is a tough economy, guys. You have to go the extra mile sometimes (or the extra kilometer for some of you).
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.