Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Technician

Seem to be trouble shooting IT work for free.

Lately we have been chasing our tails. You know how it goes, "Well we scan thru the copier, it must be the copier!" or "We only have 20 PC's that need to networked!" We have been looking at revising our contracts because their older. They don't consider, or address networking time and network issues. Does anyone have any suggestions, or a copy of your clause that addresses this issue. Thanks in advance!!

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: Seem to be trouble shooting IT work for free.

The best rule of thumb is in all new deliveries to have a set amount of support that will be given, say five PCs will be networked, or a set amount of time for networking support (1.5 hours) for address book configuration, etc. If there's an IT staff most of the work should be moved over to them with making sure the copier isn't the issue in scan problems just being a first look situation where IT takes over after the machine is confirmed good by the tech.

For smaller locations, there can always be a higher level contract that covers connectivity issues with a set number of hours of covered support per month. If you've got the option to also have a connectivity tech (or just a tech that can do second look connectivity calls) that can also help to keep people moving along.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Welcome to my world!!!! I'm in management but I spend about 2 hours a day handling IT issues for free. Have never found the answer so now just joke about it rather than get upset. Good luck trying to bill the customers for this stuff. They won't pay or will leave you. They are entitled. They have a "Service Contract" after all.

Just this week I had a customer call and ask me to stop by to "Help them get a pc set up to print". I'm thinking no big deal I'll stop by and load the drivers for them so I agree. Low and behold I get there and they have a new laptop and a brand spanking new wireless router in its box and they want me to set them up all right......they want me to set up a freaking wireless network for free. Son Of A BE-ATCH!!!!! And I freaking do it cause my job is to keep the customers happy.

DON'T GET ME STARTED!!!!!!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

You deliver the machine. Have your IT guy show there IT guy how to set up the first one. Maybe 2. After that every thing is on a billable basis. Service contracts cover the machine. Not the print cable from the machine all the way back to the computer. My service contracts state that IT work is on a billable basis. How can you spend 2 hours a day doing free IT work. That's a hell of a lot of money . Let's see. $100 per hour times 2 = $200 per day times 365 days a year = $73,000.00 . Is my math right? DAMN. STOP IT. You are crazy. Sorry.

Technician

Thanks for your input, much appreciated. I guess my biggest hurdle is the IT people most our customers have, are three states away and remote in no face to face. It seems "cccjjn" and I live in the same world. Gonna have to draft an new contract including network considerations, again if any has a good one and is willing to share.

General Troublemaker 250+ Posts ddude's Avatar

The customer will pay- they pay for other services, right?

It needs to be presented the correct way.
    2000 mockingbirds = 2 kilomockingbirds

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts knightfall's Avatar

in all service contract it state service will be provided for the copier only even fierys are not covered, your sales people should work with the service manager when the network call comes in the sales rep travels with the IT tech to the account and try to sell a network contract by blocks of hours or charge for the service call. In NYC we charge $189 an hour every hour otherwise the company looses respect in the customers eyes when this is given away for free.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cccjjn View Post
    Welcome to my world!!!! I'm in management but I spend about 2 hours a day handling IT issues for free. Have never found the answer so now just joke about it rather than get upset. Good luck trying to bill the customers for this stuff. They won't pay or will leave you. They are entitled. They have a "Service Contract" after all.

Just this week I had a customer call and ask me to stop by to "Help them get a pc set up to print". I'm thinking no big deal I'll stop by and load the drivers for them so I agree. Low and behold I get there and they have a new laptop and a brand spanking new wireless router in its box and they want me to set them up all right......they want me to set up a freaking wireless network for free. Son Of A BE-ATCH!!!!! And I freaking do it cause my job is to keep the customers happy.

DON'T GET ME STARTED!!!!!!
    It is really a problem...I mean doing 'IT work for free'. You deliver the machine, and the customer expects you to do all the connectivity...network absolutely free of charge; that since they bought the machine from you then you should integrate it into their network system at the cost included in the purchase price; any additional cost is frowned upon...may actually lead to the customer looking elsewhere to your competitors, the least thing in your mind! You don't want to lose the customer, so you relent, go ahead and do the work...meant for the IT. If it's a billable customer, we 'recover' this money with time through 'up-ing' the bill on each subsequent visit. But I must admit it is a real problem. Copier techs are NOT paid for IT work. I beleive a 'Hybrid Technician', doing a 'Hybrid Work' deserve 'Hybrid Payment'.

Service Manager 100+ Posts glewisme's Avatar

I hear you . Our contracts state in writing they have an initial 2 hours to network the machine. Any other services or servoces provided will be billed at our standard hourly rate. As soon as we tell them the cost they usually find and fix the issue on thier own. I may need to point them in the right direction but in the end I save the $$$$ so they're very happy.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Had that call yesterday. "Can't print or fax from copier." Get to site and now it becomes "can't print to copier or printer and can't fax."
    Disconnect each from the customers Double wireless connected "F-upped" network they installed, and Print to each and pc fax. Hmm......how much do you charge for that? Standard Maint. Agreement it is included. $150/ hour for the other side.