Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Job Description

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Job Description

Job Description

I have been asked to write a job description for Service Tech's. Was hoping someone has one they are willing to share. As I've been on the road for 25+ years I'm afraid if I wrote one it may end up being 300+ pages.

TIA

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Re: Job Description

The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Vulcan Inventor of Death 1,000+ Posts Mr Spock's Avatar

Service Tech job description

1. Must have thick skin. This is especially helpful when dispatchers lose a call for 3 days before giving it to you.
    2. Must be able to handle 3 irate customers, 2 irate salesmen/women, and an irate service manager without losing one's cool
    3. Must be able to squeeze 24 hours of work into an 8 hour day.
    4. Must be able to b.s. so well that the customer looks forward to their trip to a very warm climate. And while not lying or misrepresenting the company to the customer.
    5. Must be able to know how to use tools. No only your fellow workers but the ones in your tool bag/case.
    6. Must be able to work for unskilled labor pay while working inside of a war zone.
    7. Must be willing and able to travel. Hopefully in your own vehicle, for 4 hours before work so you can be at your first call 3 states away before 8:00am. And for 4 hours back home at the end of your shift, or 6:00pm whichever is later.
    8. Must be able to handle parts so that the boss does not see the cost and the customer actually thinks you used some to fix their machines.
    9. Must be able to use a cell phone and a computer to google error codes and solutions since all the manuals the company owns cannot leave the shop.
    10. Must be able confuse the customer enough that they think the issue is with either their paper or their IT department so they will not call back.
    11. Must be able to keep up to date with all the new rules and regulation the company comes up with the make your job easier (yeah right) and the company looking better at your expense.
    12. Must be able to live on a strict budget as this job does not pay what McDonalds does with even less benefits.
    13. Must be able to stay healthy as calling in sick is not an option if you wish to stay gainfully employed.
    14. Must have a clean friend who can take drug tests for you. If this job does not make you want to use "recreational" drugs then nothing will.
    15 Must have a good vehicle as the company does not supply or cover one.
    16 Must have not have a good analytical mindset as you would be employed elsewhere.
    17. Must have 4 arms. 2 to carry tools and parts, one to hold an umbrella, and one to open doors and shake hands with the customer.
    18. Must have 2 sets of eyes. One to see well enough to see and fix copy quality issues and one bad enough not to see how cute the customer really is.
    19. Must be divorced. This is so you can handle all the yelling and screaming that comes at you.

If I think of others I will post later.
    And Star Trek was just a tv show...yeah right!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

You have said it all!