Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: 3-D Printing

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    3-D Printing

3-D Printing

Does anyone see any opportunities in these as they become cheaper and more widely available?. The general public seem to be fascinated with them, but I would be interested to hear if anyone in our line of work has any experience with them,has one,sells them, worked with one or sees ways to make money from them??.Any info greatly appreciated.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: 3-D Printing

Oh, great.

Copy quality issues in 3 dimensions.

Kill me now.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dickierock View Post
    Does anyone see any opportunities in these as they become cheaper and more widely available?. The general public seem to be fascinated with them, but I would be interested to hear if anyone in our line of work has any experience with them,has one,sells them, worked with one or sees ways to make money from them??.Any info greatly appreciated.
    I drug out a couple of co-works to go see one a few years back. I wish we sell them. I'm sure we'd make money on the supply side as well. As for service, I could see replacing a motor or extruder going bad. Maybe the belts after many many copies. Only thing is, people that have these now know what they are doing with them and how to fix them, so until it get's in the hands of the masses the only way to make money on it is parts and supplies. (which is what we pretty much do)
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar

I can see it now... Some moron jamming up the printer making a 3D copy of his junk...
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Would be pretty cool to be able to "Print" that oddball copier part you don't have in stock.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar

Think of it this way, and you heard it here first and from me. I TOTALLY see this happening. Goto Disneyland and get your photo taken with your family (like they do anytime you walk into any theme park. Now, you can go get a 3D print (a bust if you will) of you and your family AND they can put in ANY Disney character in with you of your choosing. Another step, goto a Mall Kiosk and have the same thing done, maybe you can have them add in Batman or even Marilyn Monroe. (or any popular person for that matter) With 3D printing this WILL BE FACT. Need a part? Yes you'll be able to print it indeed. They are already using these printers to print the parts for another 3D printer. Give it time for the resolution to get there.

Just my $.02
    Make it so number 1.
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.