Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Paper ????

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Paper ????

Paper ????

Does anyone have any official write ups on paper quality and how this pertains to copiers?

Clients are loving staples brand crap! They are balking at me telling them about paper all the time.

Thanks

Kelly

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Paper ????

Re: Paper ????

I have serious issues with WB. Very high moisture content. I tell customers "$27.99 for a case? You got your moneys worth" Staples is better but not much. Hammermill is my paper of choice. BTW in recent years I think the quality of paper has dropped like a lead balloon.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Exok's Avatar

Its a tricky thing paper quality. I've always been told not to tell a customer that the paper they purchased is poor quality. I've always been told that there is potential for a lawsuit if it gets back to the manufacturer of the paper.

If I ever suspect paper being the problem for one of my customers I do this:

Go to an office supply store and buy a few reams of different quality paper (and write it off on my expense report)

Run this paper on the customer's machine and show them the difference in performance.

Allow them to draw their own conclusions.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

You might want to look up the machine manufacture's public website, I know Risograph has a guide to paper, and back in the day when I worked on Canon machines I'm pretty sure they had one too.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Exok's Avatar

As cheap as some papers may be these days even the staples economy, WB Mason and even Cosco brands should all run fine as long as the machines are in good running condition. The biggest problem I run into with paper is humidity. Here in New Jersey just after the weather starts to warm up, on through the summer and into the fall I always have humidity problems. The customers, no matter how many years they have gone through it just can't seem to grasp the concept that excessive moisture in their paper is a bad thing. I mostly have this issue in schools. The vast majority of schools are older buildings. They have no central air conditioning. Even with a lot of companies where they also have attached warehouses, a lot of the time its not the room the copier is in but where they store their paper before they bring it to the copier. In a lot of cases its being kept somewhere that is not climate controlled. For some reason in a lot of these cases the customers think i'm just trying to get out of fixing their machine. I'd love nothing more than to fix the machine, whatever part it needed. I can't fix paper though. If its damp and curling to the point of causing jams even with a decurler installed I can't do anything else. I even have accounts where the jamming in the fuser is caused by the paper hitting puddles of water on the paper guides that form from condensation when the damp paper passes through the fuser and the water in the paper turns to steam. I'll open the fuser and show it to the customer and see "look at all this water all over everything, there is no water pipes hooked to your copier, this is due to your paper being too damp". They still think i'm trying to trick them...

Only once have I had an issue with the actual paper. A school purchases a bunch of paper with no manufacturer labels on the wrapper or cases. the only thing it said on the box was "product of Indonesia". This paper had a slick feel to it. It causes tons of jams due to the rollers not being able to grip it well and it also curled after passing through the fuser but curled in the opposite direction as would damp paper normally curl. I don't know what kind of trees this stuff was made of but it was horrible.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Zeldaman's Avatar

Hi there!
    Itīs agood idea to look at the homepages of Konica-Minolta/Develop, Ricoh..... There they have various brands of papers, foils, etc..
    When asked by customers i allways say try "Double A" , made in Thailand. This paper is top quality! Package is absolutely damp-proof, high whitness, it looks like a "Neusiedler" 90g/m colour-copy-paper. Last customer tried it, now heīs using it for all his printers & copiers. Since then the dusting has come to an end, and jams are very seldom now.
    Greetings...