Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Building a Business

Hi all...
    I've been thinking about starting my own copier,printer computer, register service business.
    I would just like to concerntrate on the service side of the industry and slowly develope into the sales and service contract side at a later stage. Any machine manufacturer and model is ok with me. I have never worked on Xerox surprisingly.

Is it possible to get a copier business off the ground doing service only ?
    Your thoughts,coments good and bad welcomed...

Neo...
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: Building a Business

I've had some limited success with getting the copier service side of my IT business off the ground. Depending on how small of an outfit you're starting, time and materials may be a good starting point as it allows you better cost up front. Once you get yourself a foot into a couple of locations, and can get a manageable overhead you can look into more of a traditional contract style service. I've picked up a few customers with off lease machines they purchased from a wholesaler. It's a tough market now, so you've got to be absolutely on the ball with the models you're servicing.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    I've had some limited success with getting the copier service side of my IT business off the ground. Depending on how small of an outfit you're starting, time and materials may be a good starting point as it allows you better cost up front. Once you get yourself a foot into a couple of locations, and can get a manageable overhead you can look into more of a traditional contract style service. I've picked up a few customers with off lease machines they purchased from a wholesaler. It's a tough market now, so you've got to be absolutely on the ball with the models you're servicing.
    Yes I believe I can pick up a few niche market customers that I know from my previous employment. Parts an consumables for these customers would be my main concern. It would be a matter of getting other service companies to sub-contract work out to me. This would ensure a stable stream of parts and consumables until I can get a parent company to build my business further. I have worked through sub-let service companies before. It's not the most profitable way to work but it allows for a bread and butter income.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Technician

It is very informative. Nice work!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    Hi all...
    I've been thinking about starting my own copier,printer computer, register service business.
    I would just like to concerntrate on the service side of the industry and slowly develope into the sales and service contract side at a later stage. Any machine manufacturer and model is ok with me. I have never worked on Xerox surprisingly.

Is it possible to get a copier business off the ground doing service only ?
    Your thoughts,coments good and bad welcomed...

Neo...
    Why not? any business can get off the ground! You already have the knowledge, experience and some core customers to begin with...the ones you 'grabbed' from your former employer, with the possibility of 'grabbing' even more n more customers so long as you do a very good job. So what does it take to get off the ground? Your own determination and confidence! No one can decide this for you except you yourself; you are the master of your own destiny. Many of the critics will try to discourage you, citing how very hard it is to go 'solo', blah, blah, blah, but just ignore them.
    Test your ideas by putting it into practice, and once you have started, stay focused on your goal like a laser beam...concentrated power! Don't begin to worry, ''Where will I get the spares from? or where shall the consumables for my customers come from?, Shall I make enough money to pay my bills and save something for the future? Shall I really get more customers? etc, etc. To borrow from Jesus' teaching, 'these are the worries constantly in the minds of the unbelievers...i.e people who have no faith in their own abilities to start up something and deliver! 'Your father in heaven knows that you need all these things (spares, consumables etc) for your business to thrive, and He will definitely supply them to you as and when the need arises; Just have faith and confidence in Him, and in your own self and your ability to deliver the required service.
    - The challenges ahead will be numerous, but there's no area in life devoid of one. David would have never become the king of Judah [Israel] if he had not confronted Goliath! Same principle applies to Bill Gates, Dell, Steve [RIP], Warren Buffet, George Soros and the likes.
    - So brother, go ahead and test your ideas, start something and keep growing, leave the consequences to God, and you will succeed! But remember it at all takes time, patience, humility,coupled with hard work.
    good Luck.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

It's not like it used to be. The days of the one man copier company are numbered. Our company keeps three one man bands going by selling them parts, supplies and the occasional machine. These guys just can't do it anymore the way that it was possible in the past.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

the margins are very slim on service
    specially older machines
    volume is almost just not there anymore