Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LASER PRINTER

Allie Hussein

LASER PRINTER

Good Morning Friends,
    I am considering introucing a new and economical brand of Laser Printer to Central America whichb would be affordable to the less fortunate people in the villages. If there any New laser Printer brands out there that is cheaper that average and is there any laser printers brands that can also use a common HP toner cartridge?
    Thanks

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: LASER PRINTER

No.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    LASER PRINTER

Most new HP's , etc are junk!

Better to buy used low meter HP 4000, 4250, etc. Even old HP 5's are good. These older models are way more reliable then anything new!

Generic toner cartridges work fine in the HP B&W models so you can save a lot of money using them. Do NOT use aftermarket toners in color models!

hotsunimage

You can consider to use HP laser printer model for HP 2612A, 435A, 285A and so on. The toner cartridge for them are very cheap. It's a good choice for the people in the town.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    LASER PRINTER

Smile Re: LASER PRINTER

In my humble opinion, the LJ 4 was the best model and most reliable that HP ever made. They are real workhorses and easy to repair. As someone else said, The LJ 4000 series are also well made and easy to repair. In the last 10 years HP has made real crap. All plastic innards and lots of problems. And contrary to popular belief, HP did NOT invent laser printers. Canon invented the process and all HP models are licensed by Canon.

Paul@justmanuals.com

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    LASER PRINTER

I agree with you Paul. I think HP realized if they made printers as good as the old ones their profit would be a hell of a lot less! The newer model "junk" like the 2420, 3005, 4014, etc will never last 10 or even 20 years like the old HP's 4's, 5's, 5si, etc were real workhorses.

How is it a model with a pm cycle of 200K like the 2420, 3005, 4014 don't even last 100k if lucky. I have serviced these machines with as little as 50k where the feed roller is bald and misfeeding! No excuse for a feed roller not lasting a PM cycle. Forget about the fusers, how do you make a high volume printer like the P4014, running somewhere around 50 ppm and use a fuser Sleeve instead of an UFR! How much could a small fuser roller cost $1 or $2 dollars! They had to know this sleeve would not last 225k maint cycle. The P4014 was one of the worst machines made by HP. I have worked on hundreds of these new models and have seen this whole new generation of printers go down in quality. Year after year they are turning out worse boxes.

I hope they go back to the basics, start over and make a hybrid of the old and new boxes. What i mean by that is use real fuser rollers, good rubber for rollers, plastic for gears, etc, like the legacy machines. What they could use from the new is the updated electronics, the look and design, but nothing much else.

DEAR HP, Why did you have to ruin a good thing? Bring back the quality !!!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    LASER PRINTER

Agree with Paul! 4L was the first laser I've touched and they were great As for the 4000 as soon as you heard sep roller squeek you knew that the time for half mooners and feed + sep is due. What was even better was the fact that the wear was simultaneous! More engineering in focus, than design back in the days. Talking of Canon, if anyone remembers L-800 fax well, we still have it in the office and it works marvelosly! And inkjet Canon B-low J-ob 330 was the best! Loved that m/c. My first printer ever in my career!

Sent from my iDon't believe in marketing device using Tapatalk
    .OK Google! ... will I need Berrocca this morning?
    Firmwares HERE

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

I'd have to disagree with these opinions. I have 42xx & 43xx series printers that have well over a million prints on them. The fusers for them generally last the full maintenance cycle, depending on whether you buy refurbs or new--but even if you have a good refurb, it often will last the full 200K.

Their replacements, the M600 series seem to be doing well also.

I'll never understand the p3005 though. I think that was supposed to replace the 4000, and the two aren't even comparable. Why they went from the 3 roller system to the pu & sep pad system is a mystery to me. I have non-stop trouble with them. And the dang fusers are a head ache... not to mention the stupid little gears you have to constantly replace.

Still--I think the fuser films were a good idea from the start. I remember Canon's first rollout with them on the NP6012, and everyone complaining. But really, you had to pull them much less often than you replaced the heat rollers on the NP1020's. It also saves tons of energy, as well as giving the consumer quicker warm up times.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    LASER PRINTER

Honestly, each minor change on fuser film technology brings myriads of problems. First it was the NP-6012's, and the HP LJ2200's. It took months before the Canon films would stay centered, and it was tricky business doing the adjustments. Still they built up with toner, and ripped. And Canon did not offer separate films. Even if they did it was a difficult fuser to disassemble. I successfully swapped a few films, but few techs would try it.

So jump us forward a few years, let's say the NP-6016. Again the film won't stay centered, heavy buildup on the film.

So lets take a bigger jump: the Copystar: CS-C4035E, the rubberized fixing films on a metallic backing. Now the films don't rip (unless your enduser gets crazy with the letter opener. Even then they can only dig off some rubber). And they do manage to stay centered, until the bearings on the foam idler roller fail. The first few versions of this fuser had thermostats that would first wear through the teflon on the heat roller, then build up with toner, then start to vibrate loudly until the thermostat blew. (Apparently they don't like vibration.) In addition this, the mostly heat resistant plastic frame and guides ... doesn't immediately warp from the heat. But if you get to the 300K they're warped pretty badly.

Come forward a little further: the Alphard I/Venus CS-4550ci, After several variations on the film the manufacturer finally decided that the fuser just wasn't going to go 600K yield, and instead dropped the expected yield to 300K. Who knows, maybe they were just optimistic? In the IH fusers the bearings seem to survive better, but the collars/spacers still grind themselves to dust, long before yield.

Every little change seems to bring a myriad of problems. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

I will admit that the films just aren't goon enough for high volume machines. Anything that's expected to last more than 250K between maintenance really needs the hard rollers. But then, the benefits of the film wouldn't be there for such machines anyway. Since they're running so much, not much energy would be saved by turning the fuser off, and they wouldn't have a long warm up anyway, because they're made to run all day.