Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Does anyone use Runzheimer for mileage?

Quote Originally Posted by pspahr View Post
    Again, I ask....Are you crazy? It is not in the least bit fair. Even their own brochures/pamphlets to company management state that is designed from the beginning to save the company money by minimizing the payouts to those being managed by the program. There is no way that a system designed to penalize those it manages can ever fairly be implemented. Of course, corporate greed is just as responsible for looking at the plan and touting it's wonders of efficiency knowing full well that it is only a benefit to them becuase it unjustly rapes the technician.

Of course, lot's of plans and programs look great on paper. For instance, Social Security. Hmmm, now that I think about it they are very similar. Both take money out of your pocket and only give a portion back if you meet the perfect requirements (which may change at anyones discretion but that of the recipient).
    He he he.. now that's funny...
    CompTia A+ Certified
    CompTia Net+ Certified
    CompTia Server+ Certified
    CompTia Project+ Certified
    OP Scanshare Certified

Company car with gas card, no worries for my techs.

RunzheimerBaller

Talking Wow

Thanks for the discussion on the Runzheimer plan.

Our company is switching from the "here's the keys submit the bills" plan to the Runzheimer plan. Welcome to 2008......

From what I see the only folks that can "make" are the folks driving a little amounts of business miles. Mile per mile, two identical cars, same personal and business miles. If you drive over 1000 miles per year business you'd be better off using your own vehicle. You'd be way better off if you kept you car for 5 years instead the 4 that Runzheimer limits. If you did, you'd need to only drive 800(biz) miles per year.

The added bonus is you'd be reimbursed through the company and not some outside consultant. And you wouldn't have to report crap to anyone other than the IRS (if requested).

IMHO the plan sucks balls for the users. I took my job with the agreement that I had a "free" vehicle to use personally as much as I want. I moved where I did because commutes were "free".

Not to sound like a whiner but I've got a beautiful car that's getting traded in so that I can drive something decent as a daily driver, instead of the $hit boxes they want us to drive. A Camry? Really? Oh an Accord? Can I just take estrogen instead? Why would I want to be forced into driving some crap box that has "safety saranwrap" for air bags and passenger compartments that has so much plastic in it, that the static electricity in you hair sets off the dome light.

Anyways, whoever is promoting Runzheimer as a great plan can go fluff (you know what I mean) the CFO's of the companies because the real money makers (us) know you're squeezing us, not "making money, or saving money" for everyone. You're a Runzheimer lacky.

Sorry for my first post to be this. (Should be my last too.) But the more I look into this, it sucks. Big time.

I do have to say if you haven't had a company plan prior to getting on the R plan you might feel differently. But if your brain partially works and can touch your index fingers together two out of five times. You'll realize the plan is designed by accountants that are most likely still virgins and hated sports in high school due to the barbarianism.

With Regards,
    A fellow man.
    Last edited by RunzheimerBaller; 12-21-2008 at 02:20 AM.

MikeLCPA

Runzheimer is a money loser!

My experience with Runzheimer is actually through my wife. As an accountant, I can tell you that this service is all about reducing the company's bottom line. The per mile figures put out by the IRS are meant to cover; 1. the cost of fuel used, 2. the cost of routine maintenance of the vehicle, 3. the systematic depletion of the vehicle's value (depreciation). The shortfall in cents per mile can be claimed on your tax return as one of the previous posts claimed, however, she neglected to mention that the section of the tax return used to claim that shortfall pays a fraction of the dollars claimed not the full amount. The original purpose of getting a set amount per mile was to offset the fact that your car will need to be replaced and the company, rightfully so since you're using it for their business, should pay additional cents per mile to help you get a new car when you need it in, let's say 4 years. Without all those additional miles, your car would've probably lasted a heck of a lot longer. That was a very fair trade-off. The government figures aren't money makers, they equitably cover cost incurred by you to do the company's business.
    Runzheimer has presented a cost cutting option to companies that has short changed the employee! Anything to the contrary is company spin.
    I'm an accountant and deal with this regularly. My wife loses approximately $320.00 per month. Multiply that by 4 years and it equals $15,360.00. That equals a pretty good down payment on a car that will prematurly meet it's demise thanks to those tens of thousands of miles put on in the company's behalf

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Does anyone use Runzheimer for mileage?

No matter how much you get for using your own car, it's never enough.

Paul@justmanuals.com

CRSinc

Runzheimer alternative

If you're looking for an alternative to Runzheimer, Corporate Reimbursement Services, Inc. (CRS) is a good choice.

CRS runs highly flexible and customizable vehicle reimbursement programs for companies with mobile employees.

The CRS Program calculates a fair, accurate and defensible reimbursement rate for each individual driver that reflects geographic cost variances, territory conditions and the actual number of business miles driven.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts The Otrain's Avatar
    Wow. I take it people hate Runz. Some of our techs use it and the majority of the them seem to like it. I personally have no problem with it. Maybe it is the plan my company is using, but I make a couple hundred dollars extra every month. Of course, 4 years from now my car will need to be junked. The plan we get covers my car payment with the exception of about $30. The mileage reimbursement is enough to pay off my monthly gas card and give me extra as stated. My average monthly mileage is around 2K and I drive an 2008 Chevy HHR. I guess I am one of the lucky ones. Also, because I fit into the IRS requirements, my car payment/reimbursement does not show as income on my taxes.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    we use runzheimer, and it is a loser. part of it is what the company chose as a "base vehicle" is a more expensive car than most of the techs can afford. if you don't meet this requirement, then your base is about 1/3 the higher amount, plus mileage. at the end of the year, i get paid about 25 cents per mile. fortunatly, i can deduct the difference on the income tax, so that helps.

gilbo

Re: Does anyone use Runzheimer for mileage?

Quote Originally Posted by Techlady View Post
    We have been using Runzheimer for a number of years and general feeling is that is it very fair. You are not taxed on the base amount. They have enhanced their services in the last year or so and have many options available for setting up your accounts.
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * The company I work for has been using it since 2003. It's horrible for employees. Every year as your car gets older, you get less money every month. Why? Because it depricates. HELLO!!!!!! My car payment hasn't gone down in price. Oil changes, tire replacement, tune-ups, brakes, etc, none of that has gone down in price. You end up spending your own money on repairs, and you are on your own. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

When the company use to supply use with comapny cars, no problems, no worries, nothing. *We had a fleet service plan for our cars, every 5,000 miles it got serviced. If you got into a accident, no problem. They set us up with a rental. The only out of pocket expense was for gas, and we submitted our gas receits and got reinbursed. We could even use the cars for personal use. *Life was sweet, and even saved money on our own car insurance.

Today, if your car needs service, it comes out of your own pocket. You get into a accident, its up to you to rent a car, or take off from work. The milage we get reinbursed for is a joke, especially when you see how gas prices have risen. And because you are using your own car for business, insurance rates go up.*

It would be different perhaps if we got much more money each month, but at the present, I am loosing money. This plan might be great for business owners, but you are going to leave a very sour tastes in your employee's mouth, and they may even quit. Can you imagine loosing your top talent over vechicle reinburstment?*

deldew123

Re: Does anyone use Runzheimer for mileage?

My company forced all of our techs over to Runzheimer. It could be an ok program if it is administered properly and you are looking for help buying a car. I wasn't I had a company provided car for 20 yrs. Your company administor has the power to asign your mileage program and percent of business use. I 've been fighting this battle for a few months. My admin set my program to 4/35000 which is 8,750 miles per year which I drive min 3 times that. In doing this that cut what the company has to pay for your fixed amount per month. Good luck if you are forced onto a program like this.