Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: instant plastic

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: instant plastic

Quote Originally Posted by subaro View Post
    JB weld 5 min epoxy is the best i have found so far. JB Weld has a plastic epoxy also.

superglue and baking soda is good, but more as a filler rather than a super strong bond.

superglue on its own is very good when done the correct way and let to cure at least 30 min for maxmium effect. \
    then there are different manufactures of super glue, which may not all have the exact formulars and therefore produce diffrent results.

There are new stuff on the hardware now i see that i have not tried. super glue with the separate activator is supposed to be very good from what i have read and seen on you tube demo. It comes in two piecies, the activator which you apply first and then the superglue.
    So what does the "activator" do?...prep and strengthen the bond???

I do know that there is a catalyst out there called "Zip Kicker" that shortens the cure time of CA Glue drastically:

Super Glue Corporation | Zap//Zip Kicker line | Zip Kicker Aerosol Can

Also the debonder has it's uses!:

Super Glue Corporation | /Zap | Z-7 Debonder

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qbert69 View Post
    So what does the "activator" do?...prep and strengthen the bond???

I do know that there is a catalyst out there called "Zip Kicker" that shortens the cure time of CA Glue drastically:

Super Glue Corporation | Zap//Zip Kicker line | Zip Kicker Aerosol Can

Also the debonder has it's uses!:

Super Glue Corporation | /Zap | Z-7 Debonder

The avtivator prime hard to bond surfaces that is to be bonded so that the superglue will achieve a better bond. similar to painting a raw piece of metal, prime first and then paint.

google the following below and check out the manufactures like locktite

2-part all plastics super glue

THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

how to prevent superglue from drying out.

Awesome tip from this guy. I saw this a couple months ago and tried it and so far no dried out tubes. so i guess it works as he described it.

see the video.

THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts skookumchuck's Avatar

I tried this years ago and it didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by skookumchuck View Post

Here is one for you to try. cost you nothing to try, no money, just foil you have at home.

seems what they are saying is moisture seeps through the plastic head and into the tube. I do not know if this works, but sure is going to try it, as i have all kind of stuff that i hate the suprise of no good when opened.

Quote Originally Posted by skookumchuck View Post

Drop by drop fill the bucket, so the saying goes. All those wasted dollars on super glue failure when you attempt to use it.

So, here is another guy tip. seems he too is saying or demonstrating that the plastic parts of the tube need to be sealed air tight.

next tip i will give of my own that i just thought off and will try first. enjoy you view.

Superglue Tip Save Money Stop Super Glue Tubes From Drying Out

Last edited by subaro; 04-15-2015 at 01:52 PM.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Super Glue doesn't "dry out"...it CURES!

Best thing I have found to keep Super Glue from going "bad/curing" is to keep it in the refrigerator!

The only problem is, is that a refrigerator is not a common thing to have in your service vehicle!

Best thing is to keep it in the refrigerator at the shop, so you'll always have backup...especially if the tube has already been opened! Case in point...ever heard of "cyanoacrylate fuming"???...it's the method you see on crime scene shows where the invisible latent fingerprints are made visible!...to fume the cyanoacrylate, it is heated. So note, if you want to preserve your cyano, keep it cool!

https://www.google.com/search?q=cyan...utf-8&oe=utf-8

I use double bubble. I was introduced to it at TMI and my brother uses it at the military base. It's a two part epoxy that you mix and use. They have fast set, slow, clear, stuff that can be drilled and tapped, hell, they even have stuff you can mix and use underwater. Its pretty cheap <1$ if you buy about 50 or 100. They last forever and they're single use so they aren't wasted. I have them in my tool bag, glove box, everywhere. It has never failed me!
    25-PACK.jpgA0006.jpg

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Gar the pilot's Avatar

I am on the west coast, where might I find this Doubble Bubble?

If you want to try a couple, then Amazon has some. If you want larger quantities, I would try Single service packet | Hardman | Double Bubble | variety pack because they sell all the types and you can kind of piece together a 100 pack to get them for like .60 a piece. They even come with a Popsicle stick to mix them up.

Single service packet Hardman Double Bubble variety pack.jpg

Here are the different types (you can see them all on the website