Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

ONE WAY BEARING FACT

Please see the following pdf for one way bearings facts. especially item number 4. grease. look at the diagram and the functional description of how the bearing work. see also the lifespan of a typical bearing.

http://www.jtekt.com/brochures/pdfs/cat113ex.pdf
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    ONE WAY BEARING FACT

Re: ONE WAY BEARING FACT

Interesting. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Glorified Parts Swapper 100+ Posts ptrflrs's Avatar

Always wondered what makes those pins lock one way. Had my theory confirmed. Ever looked inside a magnetic torque limiter?
    jesus loves you! (everyone else thinks you're an assh*le)
    street cred: CompTIA A+ & Network+ Certified; Konica Minolta Gold Seal x2,
    Konica Minolta Outward ASSociate, Ricoh, Sharp, Lexmark trained

Quote Originally Posted by ptrflrs View Post
    Always wondered what makes those pins lock one way. Had my theory confirmed. Ever looked inside a magnetic torque limiter?
    Even before i saw that pdf, i had to know how that one way worked. So i took one from a feed roller and sliced it in half and looked at it, saw the spring, which really is a high tension piece of metal bent in a z pattern and the key was to take my magnifier 10x and looked closer at the housing to see the cavity .
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    ONE WAY BEARING FACT

A magnetic torque limiter is just a cylindrical magnet within a cylindrical magnet, with ferrite powder (developer) in-between. The amount of ferrite is critical, so if you notice that the housing is cracked and it's losing ferrite, it's a really good time to replace it. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    A magnetic torque limiter is just a cylindrical magnet within a cylindrical magnet, with ferrite powder (developer) in-between. The amount of ferrite is critical, so if you notice that the housing is cracked and it's losing ferrite, it's a really good time to replace it. =^..^=
    Actually, I've seen ones that were just a magnetic core inside a steel ring. They are used by Ricoh in the ADF separation area at least. The same rules apply though. If the plastic housing is cracked, the steel ring is not fixed to it and will slip.
    Those magnets are pretty strong, too. I stuck one on the luggage rack of the car I was using for work a while back. It stayed there for several years until I apparently blew it off with the high pressure wand at the car wash.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    Actually, I've seen ones that were just a magnetic core inside a steel ring. They are used by Ricoh in the ADF separation area at least. The same rules apply though. If the plastic housing is cracked, the steel ring is not fixed to it and will slip.
    Those magnets are pretty strong, too. I stuck one on the luggage rack of the car I was using for work a while back. It stayed there for several years until I apparently blew it off with the high pressure wand at the car wash.

You are correct. The kyocera 420i and other adf use the type of torque limiter inside the separation roller.The outer case crack as you mention also and the magnet is good strong too. i use them in my screw tray when removing parts. good catch there Iowatech.

Thought this thread was done with and everyone should be ok. But came across this animated video of how it works. fantastic is how i would describe it. there are others on spring clutches too. enjoy.