Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Color toner included in contract

I see many of you have dealt with this already. The question is when figuring a contract for a color MFP that is say in a church that prints bulletins as well as other documents, how do figure the yield to correctly price the toner? I have Minolta coming in at ridiculous prices that I can't even buy it for their price. I calculate toner usage based on yields that we get from the manufacturer. If it is a full color document, then the 5% applies to all 4 cartridges. If they print more like 20-25% fill than the cost of toner is 4-5 times higher than at 5%, correct? I am trying to see if my calculations are off or if Minolta is just giving away toner. Thanks for you help.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

Re: Color toner included in contract

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Money View Post
    I see many of you have dealt with this already. The question is when figuring a contract for a color MFP that is say in a church that prints bulletins as well as other documents, how do figure the yield to correctly price the toner? I have Minolta coming in at ridiculous prices that I can't even buy it for their price. I calculate toner usage based on yields that we get from the manufacturer. If it is a full color document, then the 5% applies to all 4 cartridges. If they print more like 20-25% fill than the cost of toner is 4-5 times higher than at 5%, correct? I am trying to see if my calculations are off or if Minolta is just giving away toner. Thanks for you help.
    i include just a average use set per copy count.
    so if a set of toners is 15k and the contract is 60k color they get 4 sets after they need to buy extras

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Color toner included in contract

Doug we are going thru the same thing here in Nevada, Major dealers are quoting .005. for black and .02 per color on contract quotes. even the smaller authorized dealers with low overhead and using generic supplies cant compete. And to make matters worse low contract quotes were normally good just for one year or one contract cycle and now some quotes are good for up to 5 years. We refill and convert items for our Sharp and Canon customers to stay competitive with the big boys.

Quote Originally Posted by pontiac View Post
    Doug we are going thru the same thing here in Nevada, Major dealers are quoting .005. for black and .02 per color on contract quotes. even the smaller authorized dealers with low overhead and using generic supplies cant compete. And to make matters worse low contract quotes were normally good just for one year or one contract cycle and now some quotes are good for up to 5 years. We refill and convert items for our Sharp and Canon customers to stay competitive with the big boys.
    Holy cow, we quote 8 cents for color and .0095 for black.

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

In ZA its $0.03 for color and $0.01 for B/W. You have to reuse or use third party parts and consumables.
    Most main brands of machines have yield calculators to monitor toner usage. Also the contract software u use should be able to flag over use and penalize accordingly by using the average billing and the amount of toner supplied.

With toner overlaying, an 80% coverage on a color print could be like 50% 40% 30% 10% for CMYK. It is difficult to judge the coverage by looking at the print.

Its cheaper for the OEM parts under the right umbrella of supply. For a branch a part could cost u say $10 to a dealer maybe $30 and to the public $70. You need to sell better and need to sell better service and support to compete with the OEM companies and the big dealers.

Sticking mostly to office color prospects is a saver bet than production graphical applications where the OEM's kills the competition.