Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question No. 1

Re: Question No. 1

Well if you manage to scratch or chip the drum... (OK sorry so not realty relevant here) or you find a chipped or scratched drum, you coat it with a tiny bit of this stuff. Charge does not affect it and toner does not adhere to it, so instead of making black mark the area would be void. It does leave blank spots, but on the side of the drum or with a really small chip you would not even notice it.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

This is the method i use. similar to allan and blackcat. I use a chemical that techs should recognize or be familiar with. It's called SEL SOL. This stuff is amazing, in fact the best i know for roller cleaning and general copier cleaning ect. It will remove caked toner from fuser plates like butter and will not harm plastic at all, no melting and no smell [ odorless ]ect. I however don't like it as a chemical and what it can do. It can penetrate even hard epoxy and soften it. Therefore want to avoid getting on skin which on frequent use eventually does. Also when cleaning rollers, the ones that is fitted tight on the shafts [feed ect], if apply too much and let it run on the roller, if penetrates between the roller and shaft and eventually the roller spins on the shaft and therefore paper jams.

So what i do, is take a piece of transparency or mylar and dip the edges on the sel sol and work the label from one edge and letting the sel sol between the label and drum.
    the sel sol works fast in removing the label. Then with a soft cloth with very little sel sol clean the drum of the glue and finish of with alcohol. The thing wit sel sol ,when the alcohol touches it, it evaporates instantly.
    In fact, if you have glue on anything and you apply sel sol and then apply alcohol, it immediately forms into a gel that you can just wipe off with a rag and finish of with alcohol. As with any chemical i advise downloading the msds sheet and checking its hazard ratings. also sel sol is not flammable.

Hopes this may help others, as this is what my intention is here.

Cleaning Solvent Sel-Sol - Aftermarket - OEM# 8560014 - Parts Now
    Last edited by subaro; 04-27-2015 at 02:14 AM.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

I haven't tried to clean OPCs very often.
    The last time I think I tried that was on an AF350 where the foam that cleaned the charge roller had turned into goo and gotten on the drum. The drum was in pretty good shape otherwise, so I cleaned the goo off with alcohol and then ran a bunch of sky shots (I don't remember exactly how many, but it was at least twenty and possibly as many as fifty). That appeared to work pretty well.