Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

IPF8300 print head question

Hi everybody. This is my first post on this site so I hope I am doing it right. I have an IPF8300 that kept giving me all kinds of print head codes. Was on phone with Canon and they can't go any further with me. Thanks to finding this forum and after having a service tech come out it seems as if I need the QM3-3121 board. Here are my questions. From what I see I will have to go through the replace print head routine to drain the print heads. Can I reuse them as long as I put them back where they came from? I am pretty mechanically inclined, will I be able to replace the board myself? Where can I buy the board at a reasonable price?
    Thanks to all for your help. I really appreciate it.
    David

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: IPF8300 print head question

Quote Originally Posted by jumeda33 View Post
    Hi everybody. This is my first post on this site so I hope I am doing it right. I have an IPF8300 that kept giving me all kinds of print head codes. Was on phone with Canon and they can't go any further with me. Thanks to finding this forum and after having a service tech come out it seems as if I need the QM3-3121 board. Here are my questions. From what I see I will have to go through the replace print head routine to drain the print heads. Can I reuse them as long as I put them back where they came from? I am pretty mechanically inclined, will I be able to replace the board myself? Where can I buy the board at a reasonable price?
    Thanks to all for your help. I really appreciate it.
    David
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Is there a guarantee from Canon or Service Tech that this part will Fix your issue
    if so >>>>>>>>>>

if u have never removed the "Carriage Unit"

have the service tech replace the "Carriage Relay PCB"
    -this is no walk in the park process-

QM3-3121 ---cost 84.00
    http://www.iteminconline.com/qm3-3121-010_qm3-3121-010-qm3-3121-000-canon-ipf8300-carriage-relay-pcb.htm?source=froogle&gclid=Cj0KEQjw_rytBRDVhZeQr bzn_q0BEiQAjnbSHAsU8_FEgt6MwCGO9gfGilKeG-XB2XBecWHHBg4n9MEaAlcu8P8HAQ

**Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by teckat View Post
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Is there a guarantee from Canon or Service Tech that this part will Fix your issue
    if so >>>>>>>>>>

if u have never removed the "Carriage Unit"

have the service tech replace the "Carriage Relay PCB"
    -this is no walk in the park process-

QM3-3121 ---cost 84.00
    http://www.iteminconline.com/qm3-3121-010_qm3-3121-010-qm3-3121-000-canon-ipf8300-carriage-relay-pcb.htm?source=froogle&gclid=Cj0KEQjw_rytBRDVhZeQr bzn_q0BEiQAjnbSHAsU8_FEgt6MwCGO9gfGilKeG-XB2XBecWHHBg4n9MEaAlcu8P8HAQ

Thanks teckat,
    Sorry if you get this twice. I didn't see my own reply to you so I thought I would send it again.
    No one will guarantee the fix but thanks to this forum and a service tech coming out to look at the plotter to give us a quote it all points to the board. I found some instructions somewhere on this site but one of my questions that Canon would not answer for me was can I replace the printheads that I take out as long as I put them back in where they came from? They are both brand new and I really don't want them to go to waste. I am pretty tech savy and I can't really afford the approx. 1300.00 they want to fix it.
    Thanks,
    David

Thanks teckat,
    Sorry if you get this twice. I didn't see my own reply to you so I thought I would send it again.
    No one will guarantee the fix but thanks to this forum and a service tech coming out to look at the plotter to give us a quote it all points to the board. I found some instructions somewhere on this site but one of my questions that Canon would not answer for me was can I replace the printheads that I take out as long as I put them back in where they came from? They are both brand new and I really don't want them to go to waste. I am pretty tech savy and I can't really afford the approx. 1300.00 they want to fix it.
    Thanks,
    David
    ----------------------------------------
    Did tech tell u what the ERROR Code was ???????

NOTE:
    When Carriage relay PCB or the Carriage unit have been replaced.
    Take a look at the attached photo of the carriage relay PCB. The image was taken from the back of the machine. The left of the image is towards the carriage home position.
    So you must stand at the back of the machine looking over the carriage relay PCB to be oriented like the image.
    All of the cables that go to the main controller have the blue writing facing the right. All of the cables that go to the print head have the blue writing facing the rear of the machine.
    CABLES.jpg

dont' remember if u will have an issue with the print heads/ there is no caution procedure on replacing Carriage relay PCB when u remove Carriage Unit

imagePROGRAF_Major_Component_ID_and_Replacement video

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s5qfj89p1z...ement.exe?dl=0

Download and unzip the above file. Then click the RUN.html file to launch the video.

Scrool to page 3> select Menu>Under Major Componet Replacement > select ipf8000 series> select Carriage Unit /Print Head removal> will show removal procedure.
    Don't use Firefox to open/run .html --use IE

Last edited by teckat; 07-24-2015 at 06:38 AM.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Hi teckat,
    Thank you so very much for that very informative video. To answer your question about the error codes etc... The original problem gave no code. Just said left print head error and would even let me work the control panel. I had to go into service mode so it would let me get to the replace print head menu. So I did that with Canon tech support help. I called them when my new print head arrived and they talked me through replacing it using service mode. All is well at this point until I go to print something and I get the 2F48 code, right print head, which I had replaced about 6 months ago. Also I am thinking no way two print heads go at one time. So, being under warranty I replace the right print head again. Next thing you know I get a 2F43. Ended up having a local service guy come out and he wasn't sure so he speaks with another guy at the office and they feel it's the board.

I do have a couple of questions about the video. 1) Is there actually a Drain Print Head option in the menu or is that the same as the Replace Print Head option which also drains them?
    2) Do I have to remove the whole carriage or can I replace the board at the point where they remove all the connectors from it?
    Seems to me they don't really explain that part and that it is more to actually remove the carriage. Looks to me like I could stop at the point where the covers and ribbon cables are removed and replace the board right there.

Thank you so much for your help.
    David

Hi teckat,
    Thank you so very much for that very informative video. To answer your question about the error codes etc... The original problem gave no code. Just said left print head error and would even let me work the control panel. I had to go into service mode so it would let me get to the replace print head menu. So I did that with Canon tech support help. I called them when my new print head arrived and they talked me through replacing it using service mode. All is well at this point until I go to print something and I get the 2F48 code, right print head, which I had replaced about 6 months ago. Also I am thinking no way two print heads go at one time. So, being under warranty I replace the right print head again. Next thing you know I get a 2F43. Ended up having a local service guy come out and he wasn't sure so he speaks with another guy at the office and they feel it's the board.

I do have a couple of questions about the video. 1) Is there actually a Drain Print Head option in the menu or is that the same as the Replace Print Head option which also drains them?
    2) Do I have to remove the whole carriage or can I replace the board at the point where they remove all the connectors from it?
    Seems to me they don't really explain that part and that it is more to actually remove the carriage. Looks to me like I could stop at the point where the covers and ribbon cables are removed and replace the board right there.

Thank you so much for your help.
    David
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Believe you can just replace the board when visible/ & not have to complementary remove carriage ./ 3 page pdf attached
    of for full book-----------------------------------------
    copy and past below into browser menu
    canonipf.wikispaces.com/file/view/ipf8300+Service+Manual.pdf
    Attached Files Attached Files

if print head doesnt fix it .. replace the carriage relay pcb

Quote Originally Posted by hidius View Post

poster replaced print heads/ has the carriage relay pcb in hand

did you read posters reply's

Quote Originally Posted by teckat View Post
    poster replaced print heads/ has the carriage relay pcb in hand

did you read posters reply's

i thought he replaced the print heads only .. didnt realise he had a pcb as well lol .. my bad

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hidius View Post
    Thanks for the help. I have one question. I have replaced both print heads within the last couple of weeks. Can I drain them, change the board and put the print heads back in as long as I put them back where they came from? If not, I think I need to get Canon to replace them under warranty but I would rather not go through that fight.
    Thanks,
    David