Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Canon IR 5185 Print Controller - how to tell if print controller is bad?

Hello, I cannot ping the IP I set in the 5185 nor can I ping out to the PC from it. There is no green or orange light where the CAT5 cable plugs in (the NIC) and I could not tell if there is even a light on this NIC since it is an old machine - maybe this was made in the days before they put a light on them? I don't want to replace the NIC unless I am sure of course - is there any way to be sure it is bad? I changed out the CAT5 cable and Router just because they were old and thought maybe they were the cause - but no luck.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: Canon IR 5185 Print Controller - how to tell if print controller is bad?

To PING a device on the network
    :

1. Press the Additional Functions.
    2. Press System Settings.
    3. Press Network Settings.
    4. Press TCP/IP Settings.
    5. Press PING Command. Type in the IP Address you want to PING (NOTE: you can only ping by IP Address and NOT hostname).
    6. Press Start. If there is a reply, the message will be 'Response from the host'. If no reply, then the message will be 'No response from host'.

* There is also a PING command test in Service Mode.

Copier > Test > Network > PING

If you get a 'No Response From Host' message as the result, it means that the PING failed. The copier never received a response from the host at the destination IP Address.

To test that the copier is functioning correctly, you can attempt to PING the loopback address 127.0.0.1. If this also generates the 'No Response From Host' message, then there may be a problem with the copier's NIC. You can try the following to troubleshoot the NIC:

• Reboot the copier.
    • Reseat the RJ45 of the network cable.
    • Try another network cable.
    • Reseat the NIC in the copier.
    • Try clearing the MMI in Service Mode on the copier. Reboot and reconfigure the copier.
    • Try formatting the HD and reinstalling system software on the copier.
    • Replace the NIC.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

are your LED's lit up on the side of the imagepass?
    have you opened up to see if you have power coming out of the power supply and going to the mother board?
    Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by patterson70 View Post
    Hello, I cannot ping the IP I set in the 5185 nor can I ping out to the PC from it. There is no green or orange light where the CAT5 cable plugs in (the NIC) and I could not tell if there is even a light on this NIC since it is an old machine - maybe this was made in the days before they put a light on them? I don't want to replace the NIC unless I am sure of course - is there any way to be sure it is bad? I changed out the CAT5 cable and Router just because they were old and thought maybe they were the cause - but no luck.

imagePass H1 SG.pdf
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Many thanks terramobile, charm5496 and techat! I will try these suggestions, it may be a little while before I get back since it is a distant account. Now I am wondering if they will want to invest in a new controller if it is indeed bad. I think they are around 4 to 6 hundred. Or a high-tech repair might be in order if they will go with that.

Many thanks terramobile, charm5496 and techat! I will try these suggestions, it may be a little while before I get back since it is a distant account. Now I am wondering if they will want to invest in a new controller if it is indeed bad. I think they are around 4 to 6 hundred. Or a high-tech repair might be in order if they will go with that.

New H1 Is more than 400.00

Technician

before you buy a new controller,try reinstalling system software first.

Thank you but do I need to be a Canon Dealer to do that?

Thank you but do I need to be a Canon Dealer to do that?
    Read the H1 guide, 👀

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Hi,

Are you sure that you are using the external Controller imagePASS-H1 or ida ColorPASS-GX100 (Normal they do have lights on NIC even for error) or you are using internal UFRII/PCL PRINTER KIT-N2 ( it is standard on machine but no lights to see if it's wrk or no). Better festival, to identify, what are you having on machine, then you go to the next step. Can be very simple problem...
    I suggest you, in case are you using FIERY, if definitely it's fault, you can steel use the standard printer kit, it's bit slowly, but steel having a good quality and is useful.
    You steel have to do some changes to disable the fiery and get that board running, just follow the installation guide for the respective FIERY.

Good luke