Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Color Matching

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Color Matching

Hi everyone,

I have an iR ADV C5250 and C5240 on a client. They are a interior designing company, so they are a bit sensitive with colors. What they have been complaining lately is that the color on the printouts of the machine doesn't match of what is shown on the screen. Is there anyway, thru settings, or calibration or what to make the printouts get as close as possible to what is on their screen? As far as I know it will never match and i keep telling them that, but atleast it could close as possible.

please advise...

Thanks

teacher-guide-expert-guru 2,500+ Posts
    Color Matching

Re: Color Matching

I would start with drivers. Did you try with PS driver? Try with different colour settings.

Capture.jpg
    Practice makes perfect
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it
    A picture is worth a thousand words
    If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

UFR II driver was initially installed. I recently put the PS driver, haven't explored it much yet.

Thanks for the input.

teacher-guide-expert-guru 2,500+ Posts
    Color Matching

First make full printer calibration.Check in additional function.

Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw0AOwJRK_Q
    Practice makes perfect
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it
    A picture is worth a thousand words
    If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Auto Gradation done - it's the first thing i always do before start.

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

This is what I show a customer who complains about colour matching. As much as they may piss and moan, even with a Fiery it simply cannot be matched exactly.

Monitors, On-Screen RGB Color, Color Calibration, and CMYK Color Reproduction Explained
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts dan7777's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vishop View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have an iR ADV C5250 and C5240 on a client. They are a interior designing company, so they are a bit sensitive with colors. What they have been complaining lately is that the color on the printouts of the machine doesn't match of what is shown on the screen. Is there anyway, thru settings, or calibration or what to make the printouts get as close as possible to what is on their screen? As far as I know it will never match and i keep telling them that, but atleast it could close as possible.

please advise...

Thanks
    You are correct and I doubt it will ever match. Years ago I had an interior designing company that copied cloth and complained it did not match. You just have to calibrate it and tell them it is business color and they need to buy different machine for better color. Fed EX has the canons now and they use a firey with a spider that matches the colors. Luckily it is not my territory and I only go when main tech is off. I think there is only settings in print driver you could try and change. Samsung put settings in their print drivers to match other manufactures colors. The monitors and copiers use different color schemes and their is a board in the copier that trys and compensate for that. I have a ton of color machines but I am lucky and most customers are not that picky.

Oh my...got yourself a difficult case there vishop!

I work with colour management, and I always try to steer clients clear of expecting the same on screen as on paper. Tonermunkeh has already given us a good link. The RGB vs. CMYK talk is always where I start with clients who expect impossible things from their printers.

If your clients are working in the MS Office package...you have very little hope. If they are using some kind of professional graphic software (like InDesign) you stand a reasonable chance of getting somewhere.
    First of all, you need to get the graphics software working in sRGB. Most clients like AdobeRGB because it has a very large colour space, but unfortunately it is much bigger than what any CMYK printer can produce, so many colours will need to be clipped (Relative Colorimetric) or stretched (Perceptual).
    sRGB will probably "dull" the colours on the client screen, but remember that to get the printer and screen to match, you have to work on both of them.

You can also try to set the software to work in CMYK on screen, but you will always run into RGB photographs, so this isn't 100% viable. Plus, the screen is an RGB device, so it will only simulate CMYK.

Anyway, this is how I would start configuring the driver setup:

Clipboard_1.pdf

Bear in mind that you need to allow "Printer Color Management" in the grahics software, otherwise the driver settings won't make much difference. You can use the software for dictating colour to the printer, and might even get better results, but I always start with "Printer Manages Colour" or similar wording.

It can be a very long and frustrating operation, just when one of your clients is happy, another will pull a new rabbit out of the hat in the shape of another file format that has a completely different color setup!

Best of luck :-)
    Last edited by Setright; 03-01-2016 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Pic upload

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Got to love the ignorance of customers. Any machine classified as "work group" or "departmental" will not do true color matching. Closet you will get is to about 95% of that color without breaking Trademark laws. Pay about $1,000 and you can get Coca Cola 141 red if you so desire. As mentioned in prior posts, a Fiery, Creo (aka Digital Front End) must be present on a Production Line equipment. PS drivers will give you the best options to play with color settings, ie ColorSwap, EuroScale, CMY, RGB. With the Canon only having an interpolated DPI you are very sure not to get the color you need. Client may have to go darker or lighter on screen and see what the machine produces and go from there. You can only calibrate the machine to its capabilities. I am not gonna get a Ford Fucus and think if I put a turbo on there I am gonna race a Porsche even though my speedometer says I can go 130mph (230kmh). I direct customers in this situation to purchase a very nice "proof" printer ie Xerox Phaser 7760 with Phaser Match software. Anything WITHOUT an interpolated DPI but a True DPI.

Hope that helps.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Color Matching

All you need to say to the customer is that the copier is printing perfectly as designed but it's their SCREENS that are not calibrated.

This is of course all you drums, devs ITB etc have not passed % yeild
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk