Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    iPF-670 "The printer is filling ink from the ink tanks. Please Wait."

    blackcat4866's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lapeer, Michigan
    Posts
    15,218
    Rep Power
    245

    iPF-670 "The printer is filling ink from the ink tanks. Please Wait."

    This is a really useful condition if the customer is billable, since the machine will suck up hundreds of dollars in ink, and dump it directly in the maintenance cartridge. A more accurate message might be: "The printer is sucking up all your ink and spitting it in the waste container. Buy lots more expensive ink." I suppose you'll need more of the story ...

    It started out with an image quality issue, which was resolved with a print head. And this might be part of the cause. If there is a specific procedure to follow, I doubt that it was followed. So now when you turn it on, you see the firmware level, then it goes right into "The printer is filling ink from the ink tanks. Please Wait." It will do this for 1/2 hour or so, consuming as much ink as you care to give it. Then it will print one page, then go back into ink sucking mode.

    So I have a couple theories, and a bunch of questions about theory.
    1) Could there be an air bubble somewhere, conceivably in the printhead, that needs to be purged to get an accurate reading on ink pressure levels? How is this addressed?
    2) How exactly does the machine determine ink pressure/level? There was no sensor on the pumps, and not on the service station. There is a "spit sensor" like HP uses next to the service station, but it's very rudimentary. Just a sender and receiver to determine if any ink is ejected. It could not determine if a specific oriface was passing ink.
    3) Is there a way to get into service mode before the machine goes into ink sucking mode?

    I would appreciate any explanation of how this system works.
    This machine has barely been used, very low square feet. =^..^=

    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.


    blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

  2. #2
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts onlyinnewfoundland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    147
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: iPF-670 "The printer is filling ink from the ink tanks. Please Wait."

    Service mode is accessed by holding paper source and information while you turn it on. Hopefully when you get there the printer will just sit and wait for you to do something - you can't print to it directly in service mode, but you can run internal prints. Try running a nozzle1 test print through the now visible service mode menu.

    You can try flashing the firmware file through the L-Tool by booting directly into download mode. This is done by holding stop and information while you hit power.


  3. #3
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts SAZ911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    GABORONE
    Posts
    185
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: iPF-670 "The printer is filling ink from the ink tanks. Please Wait."

    Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    This is a really useful condition if the customer is billable, since the machine will suck up hundreds of dollars in ink, and dump it directly in the maintenance cartridge. A more accurate message might be: "The printer is sucking up all your ink and spitting it in the waste container. Buy lots more expensive ink." I suppose you'll need more of the story ...

    It started out with an image quality issue, which was resolved with a print head. And this might be part of the cause. If there is a specific procedure to follow, I doubt that it was followed. So now when you turn it on, you see the firmware level, then it goes right into "The printer is filling ink from the ink tanks. Please Wait." It will do this for 1/2 hour or so, consuming as much ink as you care to give it. Then it will print one page, then go back into ink sucking mode.

    So I have a couple theories, and a bunch of questions about theory.
    1) Could there be an air bubble somewhere, conceivably in the printhead, that needs to be purged to get an accurate reading on ink pressure levels? How is this addressed?
    2) How exactly does the machine determine ink pressure/level? There was no sensor on the pumps, and not on the service station. There is a "spit sensor" like HP uses next to the service station, but it's very rudimentary. Just a sender and receiver to determine if any ink is ejected. It could not determine if a specific oriface was passing ink.
    3) Is there a way to get into service mode before the machine goes into ink sucking mode?

    I would appreciate any explanation of how this system works.
    This machine has barely been used, very low square feet. =^..^=


    Hi Blackcat,

    I have had this issue more times than i have devices in the filed, My personal opinion is that your main controller has an issue, the boards on these large format printers are very sensitive and if you've had power issues or your device is not on a ups, you most likely have a main controller issue.

    Your ink flow will be also affected if your Purge unit is clogged up and or your Multisensor is dirty but you have said that the device is pretty new so i would be sure that it isn't either of the two.

    If you check the flow charts for the large format printers you will notice all roads lead to Main Controller, no matter what error you check for.


    Good luck,

    SAZ911..........

  4. #4
    Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    iPF-670 "The printer is filling ink from the ink tanks. Please Wait."

    blackcat4866's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lapeer, Michigan
    Posts
    15,218
    Rep Power
    245

    Re: iPF-670 "The printer is filling ink from the ink tanks. Please Wait."

    Re:SAZ911
    Thanks for the warning.

    That was one of two possible courses:
    1) incorrect ink detection
    or 2) incorrect reaction to correct ink detection.

    I'm calling the Canon hotline this morning. News later. =^..^=

    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.


    blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

  5. #5
    Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    iPF-670 "The printer is filling ink from the ink tanks. Please Wait."

    blackcat4866's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lapeer, Michigan
    Posts
    15,218
    Rep Power
    245

    Re: iPF-670 "The printer is filling ink from the ink tanks. Please Wait."

    In service mode the ink loading is not done, and I can print whatever reports I like. Image quality is good. The two errors recorded look like nuisance errors:
    Top cover opened Improperly
    Maintenance Cartridge Not Installed

    I printed off the Status Page, then called Canon. Tech support took a bunch of information ... then is sending out their own tech. It does not appear that I'll be kept in the loop, but if I get any followup information I'll pass it along. =^..^=

    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.


    blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

  6. #6
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    iPF-670 "The printer is filling ink from the ink tanks. Please Wait."

    V-P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    East Europe Mostly
    Posts
    638
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: iPF-670 "The printer is filling ink from the ink tanks. Please Wait."

    My money is on "main controller"


  7. #7
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts SAZ911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    GABORONE
    Posts
    185
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: iPF-670 "The printer is filling ink from the ink tanks. Please Wait."

    Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    In service mode the ink loading is not done, and I can print whatever reports I like. Image quality is good. The two errors recorded look like nuisance errors:
    Top cover opened Improperly
    Maintenance Cartridge Not Installed

    I printed off the Status Page, then called Canon. Tech support took a bunch of information ... then is sending out their own tech. It does not appear that I'll be kept in the loop, but if I get any followup information I'll pass it along. =^..^=
    Hi Blackcat,

    Please do reply if they give you more info, would be interesting to find out exactly what was the issue, but my money is on the controller as everything goes through it,

    Cheers,

    SAZ911..........

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: iPF-670 "The printer is filling ink from the ink tanks. Please Wait."

    Quote Originally Posted by SAZ911 View Post
    Hi Blackcat,

    Please do reply if they give you more info, would be interesting to find out exactly what was the issue, but my money is on the controller as everything goes through it,

    Cheers,
    Hi, has this issue been resolved, I am having the same problem


  9. #9
    Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    iPF-670 "The printer is filling ink from the ink tanks. Please Wait."

    blackcat4866's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lapeer, Michigan
    Posts
    15,218
    Rep Power
    245

    Re: iPF-670 "The printer is filling ink from the ink tanks. Please Wait."

    Oh, sorry for not checking back on this.

    I've resolved it on at least 6 machines now. I got the tip from an experienced iPF tech. All of these machines had some sort of aftermarket or refill ink in them. Ink Owl brand is the one I see most often causing a problem, but these generic manufacturers can be very tricksy. OEM Canon ink cartridges have the name Canon embossed into the plastic. Even the best fakers don't say Canon, but the labels are identical!

    According to my source, the aftermarket ink cartridges are not properly sealed airtight, allowing the ink pump to suck air into the system. All I know is OEM Canon ink works every time.

    I had a very comical conversation with an enduser explaining how he can't afford to buy OEM ink, and wouldn't I just flip some switch so the cheap ink would work? He would have gone on like this for a long time had I not reminded him he was paying $125 per hour for this conversation. =^..^=

    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.


    blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: iPF-670 "The printer is filling ink from the ink tanks. Please Wait."

    Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Oh, sorry for not checking back on this.

    I've resolved it on at least 6 machines now. I got the tip from an experienced iPF tech. All of these machines had some sort of aftermarket or refill ink in them. Ink Owl brand is the one I see most often causing a problem, but these generic manufacturers can be very tricksy. OEM Canon ink cartridges have the name Canon embossed into the plastic. Even the best fakers don't say Canon, but the labels are identical!

    According to my source, the aftermarket ink cartridges are not properly sealed airtight, allowing the ink pump to suck air into the system. All I know is OEM Canon ink works every time.

    I had a very comical conversation with an enduser explaining how he can't afford to buy OEM ink, and wouldn't I just flip some switch so the cheap ink would work? He would have gone on like this for a long time had I not reminded him he was paying $125 per hour for this conversation. =^..^=
    Thank you for the feedback, much appreciated


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Get the Android App
click or scan for the Copytechnet Mobile App

-=-=-=-=-=-


IDrive Remote Backup

Lunarpages Internet Solutions

Advertise on Copytechnet

Your Link Here