Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Vaseline

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Vaseline

Vaseline

hey guys n girls,

Putting this under canon only as it was a canon machine, but probably falls under any machine genre....Went to a call the other day as a RTF for another tech, in the call notes he had put that he had used vaseline on the dev assy contact, prob the dev bias to get a better contact....has anyone else heard of using vaseline? I used contact grease occasionaly but never heard of vaseline? Would appreciate any input on this..

worker drone 250+ Posts

Re: Vaseline

Sounds to me like he was just trying to explain away why he carried a jar of Vaseline in his glove compartment...uhh it works great on copiers! I promise!

I am guilty of using the stuff. Surfing the office someone or more likely a lady should have some of the stuff same goes for nail glue.
    The ultimatum is live with the noise or give me some of that stuff... please.

It will remove the crickets from office equipment.
    Whatever

Whatever

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Sounds like something "Bender" ( of "Futurama" fame), would invest heavily in.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

vaseline is not a conductor. Some use it on electrical contacts to keep out moisture.

worker drone 250+ Posts

Actually, I thought it was highly flammable. I seem to remember neighbor kids and their midnight pranks lighting up a jar and it went up like a volcano. That was 40 years ago. I seem to remember a bunch of stuff wrong anymore.

I'd beware of using it on copiers, don't think it's any good on the plastic gears. Petrol and plastic don't mix (neither does rubber and vaseline, by-the-way )...

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts dan7777's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MunsterTech View Post
    hey guys n girls,

Putting this under canon only as it was a canon machine, but probably falls under any machine genre....Went to a call the other day as a RTF for another tech, in the call notes he had put that he had used vaseline on the dev assy contact, prob the dev bias to get a better contact....has anyone else heard of using vaseline? I used contact grease occasionaly but never heard of vaseline? Would appreciate any input on this..
    In 29 years I have not heard of it. Conductive grease is cheap. I remember getting mad at a guy who used to oil bearings with fuser oil (we used to have to use this back then in the fuser.). But hey, maybe he was not smart enough to buy oil. I like tri flow but the canon supervisors seem to not like it. If it is not conductive it will cause problems because it will insulate from the electricity not conduct it. You are suppose to use it on a person not a machine. Maybe spring a few bucks and buy him a small tube of conductive grease.