Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ir C2550

Ir C2550

Hi Folks

I have an imagerunner c2550 that has had 2 issues. One was many feed jams and a registration issue. The jams were fixed with new rollers I put in. But the registration issue didn't go away. The registration of the first print or copy is fine but withing 3-5 pages it starts to move toward the leading edge. This AM I had a technician in and spent some time cleaning and changed out the rollers again but the problem persists.
    We are in a remote area and it's hard to get them to come out but he is thinking it's a registration clutch that needs replaced but he wasn't convinced that would solve it. This is why I'm posting here. He described it as a possible slipping clutch but it didn't make sense to me because the registration seems to be early on a page rather than late. Is it more likely the machine is loosing track of the front edge through the paper path? Is there a way to verify the clutch diagnosis before he comes all the way back with the wrong parts?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts dan7777's Avatar

Re: Ir C2550

Quote Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
    Hi Folks

I have an imagerunner c2550 that has had 2 issues. One was many feed jams and a registration issue. The jams were fixed with new rollers I put in. But the registration issue didn't go away. The registration of the first print or copy is fine but withing 3-5 pages it starts to move toward the leading edge. This AM I had a technician in and spent some time cleaning and changed out the rollers again but the problem persists.
    We are in a remote area and it's hard to get them to come out but he is thinking it's a registration clutch that needs replaced but he wasn't convinced that would solve it. This is why I'm posting here. He described it as a possible slipping clutch but it didn't make sense to me because the registration seems to be early on a page rather than late. Is it more likely the machine is loosing track of the front edge through the paper path? Is there a way to verify the clutch diagnosis before he comes all the way back with the wrong parts?
    I have been working on copiers 29 years. That is something I might say. I don't like to lie although I have worked at places who have asked me to. A lot of variables here. Clutch, sensor, paper path rollers, registration rollers. I don't have many of those models left in the field but depending on how old the copier is, clutch is a place to look. Also the sensor arm could be worn down from paper hitting it (now the updated flag has metal over the plastic) or dust in sensor. The clutches get worn or get rust in them and make them slip. My theory is as long as you don't keep doing the same thing eventually you stumble on the problem. I don't remember on that model but Canon put dampers behind the flags that over time are sticky causing jamming problems or registration problems. Canon quit selling that copier model many years ago so most of them have been out there 5-10 or more years. The first place I worked at told me to tell the customers who did not buy a maintenance contract "you can pay me now or pay me later".
    Last edited by dan7777; 04-28-2016 at 08:57 PM.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Ir C2550

registration issue.

Lead edge registration is called. Sub -Scan Direction.
    Tech should try in Service Mode under_LEVEL 2> COPIER> FUNCTION> CLEAR> REG, and then adjusting the quick and full auto gradation should improve the registration.

Also_
    To perform an auto color correction mismatch, Enter Additional Functions Adjustments and Cleaning. On page three select auto color mismatch correction.
    If Auto color correction mismatch is not an option, be sure to update the firmware to the latest version. To clean the patch sensors manually actuate the solenoid to open the shutters and wipe the sensors with a dry lint free cloth.
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Quote Originally Posted by dan7777 View Post
    I . Clutch, sensor, paper path rollers, registration rollers. Also the sensor arm could be worn down from paper hitting it (now the updated flag has metal over the plastic) or dust in sensor. The clutches get worn or get rust in them and make them slip. My theory is as long as you don't keep doing the same thing eventually you stumble on the problem. I don't remember on that model but Canon put dampers behind the flags that over time are sticky causing jamming problems or registration problems. .
    One of the things the tech did was remove one of the damper pieces, Said it was sticky. As near as I can tell there is one rocker type limit switch in the middle of the path but it appears to be working ok, it is plastic. I think he cleaned all the sensors. How many sensors and switches are there in the paper path?

Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by teckat View Post
    registration issue.

Lead edge registration is called. Sub -Scan Direction.
    Tech should try in Service Mode under_LEVEL 2> COPIER> FUNCTION> CLEAR> REG, and then adjusting the quick and full auto gradation should improve the registration.

Also_
    To perform an auto color correction mismatch, Enter Additional Functions Adjustments and Cleaning. On page three select auto color mismatch correction.
    If Auto color correction mismatch is not an option, be sure to update the firmware to the latest version. To clean the patch sensors manually actuate the solenoid to open the shutters and wipe the sensors with a dry lint free cloth.
    Would that software adjustment affect every page? It usually starts ok and looses it's place after a few pages.

Ir C2550

Would that software adjustment affect every page? It usually starts ok and looses it's place after a few pages.

What is FIRMWARE ver.
    This line of iRC's has plenty of registration issues.Too many to list here.

Time to junk it, and get into real printer world

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts dan7777's Avatar

I would try the registration clutch next. The flag in the middle is plastic on the old style and the end gets worn. The new style has metal over it. I think you would get more jamming problems than registration (unless the registration flag is sticky. You can pull on it and then push to test). I had a half a dozen of those machines at one time and did not have that issue. Some of the clutches you can take apart and clean and some you can not. I think you are talking about lead edge registration and not color registration. Sounded to me like the image moves on the page and gets cut off. I don't know if that clutch is easy to get to or not, I have never replaced it.

Ir C2550

Quote Originally Posted by dan7777 View Post
    I would try the registration clutch next. The flag in the middle is plastic on the old style and the end gets worn. The new style has metal over it. I think you would get more jamming problems than registration (unless the registration flag is sticky. You can pull on it and then push to test). I had a half a dozen of those machines at one time and did not have that issue. Some of the clutches you can take apart and clean and some you can not. I think you are talking about lead edge registration and not color registration. Sounded to me like the image moves on the page and gets cut off. I don't know if that clutch is easy to get to or not, I have never replaced it.
    ---------------------
    thanks for the reminder-------------------------------------can cause registration lead edge issue------
    pic of damper pad location ( they should be removed )

damper pad.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by teckat View Post
    ---------------------
    thanks for the reminder-------------------------------------can cause registration lead edge issue------
    pic of damper pad location ( they should be removed )

damper pad.JPG
    Thanks, yes mine is metal and doesn't look like it's sticking. the clutch is deep in the machine the tech is calling one hour to get to it and change it out. Sounds like there is nothing else to check. the image is complete and all the colours line up perfectly it's just not in the right place on the page after a few pages. It will start to go over the edge on some pages

Ir C2550

is registration from all paper trays ??
    Tech TIP_ remove all cassettes_remove paper_take cassettes & shake upside down_see if plastic wheel falls out (this white gear wheel locks in slide adjustment for paper size width) if missing or broken off it's post_> during continuous/lift>paper feed it will slide to rear and effect the sub scan registration (front to rear)._____(u don't always notice when this gear is missing or cracked off it's post)

other things to check -

ITB position_lock down issue
    Right Side Doors _ major issue on this series

Have u checked a continuous feed registration from the BYPASS TRAY