Thread: Drum Damage

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Drum Damage

Drum Damage

I have an irc3080 in the field that we recently had to replace the yellow drum due to a wide scratch around it. Now 3 weeks later, it has happened again in the exact same location. There is no sign of any damage on the transfer belt and we can't figure out what is causing this? Any ideas? Picture is attached, it may be hard to see but the blue/green film of the drum has been totally worn away in that one area.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Drum Damage

Re: Drum Damage

Well something must be touching the drum, somewhere. A good place to start would be the yellow developing unit. It is painfully easy to set down a developing unit, and accidentally pick up a staple. Toner rocks in the cleaning unit can produce the same effect. You should be able to find some evidence of what's causing it. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts dan7777's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by repeatcopiers View Post
    I have an irc3080 in the field that we recently had to replace the yellow drum due to a wide scratch around it. Now 3 weeks later, it has happened again in the exact same location. There is no sign of any damage on the transfer belt and we can't figure out what is causing this? Any ideas? Picture is attached, it may be hard to see but the blue/green film of the drum has been totally worn away in that one area.
    Look at the front side of machine of the drums. Then open the transfer belt lid up and down. There is a shutter that opens on each drum. You will find the yellow drum shutter is not opening. I had one doing it to the magenta drum and after the second drum I asked another tech about it. He said the parts you need to fix it is very difficult to put in. I don't know what breaks. I replaced the entire process assembly with my boss as that unit is easy to replace with two people (the unit all the drums sit in). I had no clue what was causing the drum to build up toner. I think the shutter does not open and drum fills up with used toner. Have not had a call going on two years for that again. I was always careful to lock in the drums. I think the parts are cheap but because of all the parts and springs you have to take off very difficult according to that tech. Another story here is they make penicillin and can not take any machines out of the building (or other parts). The old unit they had to dispose of. They have a grave yard room for all old machines. Can not go in building if you are allergic to penicillin.

Technician

With the process unit open so you can see the drums. Rotate the process unit locking handle and watch the 4x caps rotate at the front side of the drums. Sometimes these become detached and the excess toner can't exit onto the waste removal assy. Looks like there's dev backing up

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts dan7777's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dan7777 View Post
    Look at the front side of machine of the drums. Then open the transfer belt lid up and down. There is a shutter that opens on each drum. You will find the yellow drum shutter is not opening. I had one doing it to the magenta drum and after the second drum I asked another tech about it. He said the parts you need to fix it is very difficult to put in. I don't know what breaks. I replaced the entire process assembly with my boss as that unit is easy to replace with two people (the unit all the drums sit in). I had no clue what was causing the drum to build up toner. I think the shutter does not open and drum fills up with used toner. Have not had a call going on two years for that again. I was always careful to lock in the drums. I think the parts are cheap but because of all the parts and springs you have to take off very difficult according to that tech. Another story here is they make penicillin and can not take any machines out of the building (or other parts). The old unit they had to dispose of. They have a grave yard room for all old machines. Can not go in building if you are allergic to penicillin.
    There was not an edit button. We looked at one yesterday and do not move the transfer lid up and down, move the handle on the right and it opens the shutters.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Drum Damage

see pdf

Title : Yellow drum keeps getting scratched

scratched.pdf
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Drum Damage

Quote Originally Posted by dan7777 View Post
    There was not an edit button. We looked at one yesterday and do not move the transfer lid up and down, move the handle on the right and it opens the shutters.

We ended up changing out the entire process unit frame, thanks for your help.